All update installs fail

Stef

All update installs fail
On W2000 windows update was downloading and installing a long list of updates.
Had to start several times and restart new update
Everything went fine
ABout 90 updates were downloaded and install of the started
Suddenly after update 14 of 90 the process stopped
Lost the KBnr something with Media player.
Afterwards no possibility any more to install updates.
Even with detailed and only one it does not work any more
All installs happen immediately
Then I get the message all instaal failed
No error message and no possibilty to get it working again
Nor manual nor automatic works
Where can I start?
Peter Foldes

Re: All update installs fail
Stef

You can start by abandoning W2000 and going to another OS like XP,Vista,Win7. You
will not be able to update your W2K since most updates excluding Security Updates
has been removed by MS in accordance with the agreement between themselves and SUN
Microsystems. This has come into effect as of Oct 2009 and since then all Updates
have been removed with the exception of Security Updates.
Even though you will see the Updates including Service Packs you will not be able to
install them since they will not download. MS should remove these dead downloads so
people should not get all perplexed when trying to download them

--
Peter

http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Stef" <Stef@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> On W2000 windows update was downloading and installing a long list of updates.
> Had to start several times and restart new update
> Everything went fine
> ABout 90 updates were downloaded and install of the started
> Suddenly after update 14 of 90 the process stopped
> Lost the KBnr something with Media player.
> Afterwards no possibility any more to install updates.
> Even with detailed and only one it does not work any more
> All installs happen immediately
> Then I get the message all instaal failed
> No error message and no possibilty to get it working again
> Nor manual nor automatic works
> Where can I start?

Peter Foldes

Re: All update installs fail
Stef

You can start by abandoning W2000 and going to another OS like XP,Vista,Win7. You
will not be able to update your W2K since most updates excluding Security Updates
has been removed by MS in accordance with the agreement between themselves and SUN
Microsystems. This has come into effect as of Oct 2009 and since then all Updates
have been removed with the exception of Security Updates.
Even though you will see the Updates including Service Packs you will not be able to
install them since they will not download. MS should remove these dead downloads so
people should not get all perplexed when trying to download them

--
Peter

http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Stef" <Stef@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> On W2000 windows update was downloading and installing a long list of updates.
> Had to start several times and restart new update
> Everything went fine
> ABout 90 updates were downloaded and install of the started
> Suddenly after update 14 of 90 the process stopped
> Lost the KBnr something with Media player.
> Afterwards no possibility any more to install updates.
> Even with detailed and only one it does not work any more
> All installs happen immediately
> Then I get the message all instaal failed
> No error message and no possibilty to get it working again
> Nor manual nor automatic works
> Where can I start?

Re: All update installs fail
Are you running Win2K SP4? Is IE6 installed?

What third-party firewall (if any)?

it)?

Note: Extended Support for Win2K SP4 ends on 13 July 2010. After that date,
computers running Win2K SP4 "will no longer receive software updates from
Windows Update" (i.e., Automatic Updates will not work and Windows Update
website will not be accessible).

• What does it mean if my version of Windows is no longer supported?
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...f-support-mean

Stef wrote:
> On W2000 windows update was downloading and installing a long list of
> updates. Had to start several times and restart new update
> Everything went fine
> ABout 90 updates were downloaded and install of the started
> Suddenly after update 14 of 90 the process stopped
> Lost the KBnr something with Media player.
> Afterwards no possibility any more to install updates.
> Even with detailed and only one it does not work any more
> All installs happen immediately
> Then I get the message all instaal failed
> No error message and no possibilty to get it working again
> Nor manual nor automatic works
> Where can I start?

Peter Foldes

Re: All update installs fail
Robear

With 90 Updates for W2K the OP has no more than SP2. Since my W2K was always updated
there was only 103 updates including security fixes for W2K after SP2 (inclSP3 and
SP4). As of last Oct you are not able to download any of the W2K Service Packs and
install them. They still show but when you start downloading any one of them you
find out real quick that it does not work.

--

> Are you running Win2K SP4? Is IE6 installed?

> subscription current? What anti-spyware applications (other than Defender)? What
> third-party firewall (if any)?
>
> Has a(another) Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on the computer
>
> Note: Extended Support for Win2K SP4 ends on 13 July 2010. After that date,
> computers running Win2K SP4 "will no longer receive software updates from Windows
> Update" (i.e., Automatic Updates will not work and Windows Update website will not
> be accessible).
>
> • What does it mean if my version of Windows is no longer supported?
>
> http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...f-support-mean
>

> Stef wrote:
>> On W2000 windows update was downloading and installing a long list of
>> updates. Had to start several times and restart new update
>> Everything went fine
>> ABout 90 updates were downloaded and install of the started
>> Suddenly after update 14 of 90 the process stopped
>> Lost the KBnr something with Media player.
>> Afterwards no possibility any more to install updates.
>> Even with detailed and only one it does not work any more
>> All installs happen immediately
>> Then I get the message all instaal failed
>> No error message and no possibilty to get it working again
>> Nor manual nor automatic works
>> Where can I start?

Harry Johnston [MVP]

Re: All update installs fail
On 2010-06-13 8:40 a.m., Peter Foldes wrote:

> You can start by abandoning W2000 and going to another OS like
> XP,Vista,Win7. You
> will not be able to update your W2K since most updates excluding
> Security Updates
> has been removed by MS in accordance with the agreement between
> themselves and SUN
> Microsystems.

This agreement only ever affected updates to Microsoft Java.

Windows 2000 is very close to end of extended support, so it should be upgraded,
but any problems with installing updates (other than MS Java updates) are
certainly not related to Sun.

It should still be possible, at the very least, to download and install updates
for Windows 2000 from the Microsoft Download Center.

Harry.

This has come into effect as of Oct 2009 and since then
> all Updates
> have been removed with the exception of Security Updates.
> Even though you will see the Updates including Service Packs you will
> not be able to
> install them since they will not download. MS should remove these dead
> downloads so
> people should not get all perplexed when trying to download them

--
Harry Johnston
http://harryjohnston.wordpress.com
Harry Johnston [MVP]

Re: All update installs fail
On 2010-06-13 11:30 a.m., Peter Foldes wrote:

> With 90 Updates for W2K the OP has no more than SP2. Since my W2K was
> always updated there was only 103 updates including security fixes for
> W2K after SP2 (inclSP3 and SP4). As of last Oct you are not able to
> download any of the W2K Service Packs and install them. They still show
> but when you start downloading any one of them you find out real quick
> that it does not work.

I've just downloaded the Windows 2000 SP4 network installer (from the download
center) without any difficulty. Are you talking about the Windows Update web
site in particular?

Harry.