Silverlight 4 & netflix incompat

Jethro

Silverlight 4 & netflix incompat
XP-SP3 Netflix instant view gives DRM error with Silverlight 4.
Silverlight 3 works fine. Anyone else have this problem?

Installed WMP11sdk and reset Silverlight data store per online
information, made no diff. 4 still kicks DRM error.

Re: Silverlight 4 & netflix incompat
You will find support for Silverlight in this forum:
http://forums.silverlight.net/forums/13.aspx

On Jun 11, 9:12*pm, "PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABear...@gmail.com> wrote:
> You will find support for Silverlight in this forum:http://forums.silverlight.net/forums/13.aspx
>
> Jethro wrote:
> > XP-SP3 Netflix instant view gives DRM error with Silverlight 4.
> > Silverlight 3 works fine. Anyone else have this problem?

> > Installed WMP11sdk and reset Silverlight data store per online
> > information, made no diff. 4 still kicks DRM error.

Thanks. That forum is as useless as this one.

Re: Silverlight 4 & netflix incompat
Well, at least it's a Silverlight-specific forum (vs. Windows Update
newsgroup).

PS: Don't kill the messenger.

Jethro wrote:
> On Jun 11, 9:12 pm, "PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABear...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> You will find support for Silverlight in this
>> forum:http://forums.silverlight.net/forums/13.aspx
>>
>> Jethro wrote:
>>> XP-SP3 Netflix instant view gives DRM error with Silverlight 4.
>>> Silverlight 3 works fine. Anyone else have this problem?

>>> Installed WMP11sdk and reset Silverlight data store per online
>>> information, made no diff. 4 still kicks DRM error.

> Thanks. That forum is as useless as this one.

Shenan Stanley

Jethro wrote:
> Thanks. That forum is as useless as this one.

Tools and information sources are only useless to those who do not know how
to use them - so it is debatable as to which component of that equation are
actually useless. ;-)

What did Netflix support tell you?
Please provide links to their answers and FAQs to your queries (and general
help) there.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Jethro

On Jun 12, 4:33*pm, "PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABear...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Well, at least it's a Silverlight-specific forum (vs. Windows Update
> newsgroup).
>
> PS: Don't kill the messenger.

Windowsupdate sent me Silverlight 4 and caused problems.
I had Silverlight 3 set to NOT check for updates.

> Jethro wrote:
> > On Jun 11, 9:12 pm, "PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABear...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> You will find support for Silverlight in this
> >> forum:http://forums.silverlight.net/forums/13.aspx

> > Thanks. That forum is as useless as this one.

Re: Silverlight 4 & netflix incompat
Silvelight didn't update itself, Microsoft Update did it. If your Automatic
Updates setting was "Notify Only," the Silverlight update would not have
downloaded or installed without your permission.

Jethro wrote:
> Windowsupdate sent me Silverlight 4 and caused problems.
> I had Silverlight 3 set to NOT check for updates.

*shrug*

Still your computer, NetFlix is the app you said had the issue in the end
and you get to decide what you do and don't do on your machine. It can
point you to download a new version all day long - if you have the
WindowsUpdates set up that way - but only if you also set it to
automatically download and install would you be giving up the control.

Your description of the issue is this: "Netflix instant view gives DRM error
with Silverlight 4" <-- one cannot say if NetFlix just has not kept up or if
Silverlight changed to break Netflix (although the latter makes no real
sense.) Could be something NetFlix is calling needs to be changed - by the
people at Netflix.

In the end - it doesn't really matter. You chose to install Silverlight 4.
You obviously worked around your issue with Netflix and Silverlight 4 by
uninstalling Silverlight 4 and reverting to Silverlight 3?

Which browser are you using (Internet Explorer v__? Firefox v__? Chrome
v__? Safari v__?)

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP