Installation of KB982311 Failed

SMBetz

Installation of KB982311 Failed
Running current Windows XP Pro SP3 system with Office 2002. Attempted
install of latest June 2nd Tuesday updates and KB982311 failed to install.
petermad

RE: Installation of KB982311 Failed
I have the same problem when the system tries to autoupdate KB982311. The
error code is 0x80070643 - and the system keeps trying to install this
particular update.

I am running Windows XP SP3. All other updates from june 11th 2010
installed without problems - only this one failed.

I don't have a genuine Microsoft Office 2003 installation - only the free
Office Viewers from Microsoft - maye that's the reason, though it has never
caused problems before when installing security fixes With Microsoft Update.

"SMBetz" wrote:

> Running current Windows XP Pro SP3 system with Office 2002. Attempted
> install of latest June 2nd Tuesday updates and KB982311 failed to install.

yours from Russia with love

RE: Installation of KB982311 Failed
I do not know the solution to this issue as I experience exactly the same as
"petermad" with MS Office 2003 PowerPoint Viewer. Have only this from the
whole MS Office suite and the problem replicates as described by "petermad".
Have submitted this to MS Support via e-mail, waiting for their solution.
Will share if would be given one.

"petermad" wrote:

> I have the same problem when the system tries to autoupdate KB982311. The
> error code is 0x80070643 - and the system keeps trying to install this
> particular update.
>
> I am running Windows XP SP3. All other updates from june 11th 2010
> installed without problems - only this one failed.
>
> I don't have a genuine Microsoft Office 2003 installation - only the free
> Office Viewers from Microsoft - maye that's the reason, though it has never
> caused problems before when installing security fixes With Microsoft Update.
>

> "SMBetz" wrote:
>
> > Running current Windows XP Pro SP3 system with Office 2002. Attempted
> > install of latest June 2nd Tuesday updates and KB982311 failed to install.

Peter Foldes

Re: Installation of KB982311 Failed
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...error-80070643

--
Peter

http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"petermad" <petermad@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have the same problem when the system tries to autoupdate KB982311. The
> error code is 0x80070643 - and the system keeps trying to install this
> particular update.
>
> I am running Windows XP SP3. All other updates from june 11th 2010
> installed without problems - only this one failed.
>
> I don't have a genuine Microsoft Office 2003 installation - only the free
> Office Viewers from Microsoft - maye that's the reason, though it has never
> caused problems before when installing security fixes With Microsoft Update.
>

> "SMBetz" wrote:
>
>> Running current Windows XP Pro SP3 system with Office 2002. Attempted
>> install of latest June 2nd Tuesday updates and KB982311 failed to install.

petermad

Re: Installation of KB982311 Failed
Thanks Peter

I don't have .net installed, so that can't be the reason.

My setting in "Services" for "Office Source Engine" was "Manual" - I tried
setting it to "Automatic" and started the service, but it didn't help - I
still cannot install KB982311.

I have installed several other Office Updates, so I don't think that the
Office Source Engine is the problem here. There must be something wrong with
KB98231, that prevents it from being installed under certain conditions.

"Peter Foldes" wrote:

> http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...error-80070643
>
> --
> Peter

> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
> "petermad" <petermad@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have the same problem when the system tries to autoupdate KB982311. The
> > error code is 0x80070643 - and the system keeps trying to install this
> > particular update.
> >
> > I am running Windows XP SP3. All other updates from june 11th 2010
> > installed without problems - only this one failed.
> >
> > I don't have a genuine Microsoft Office 2003 installation - only the free
> > Office Viewers from Microsoft - maye that's the reason, though it has never
> > caused problems before when installing security fixes With Microsoft Update.
> >

> > "SMBetz" wrote:
> >
> >> Running current Windows XP Pro SP3 system with Office 2002. Attempted
> >> install of latest June 2nd Tuesday updates and KB982311 failed to install.

> .

dkbarclay

Re: Installation of KB982311 Failed
I have the same problem. Running Windows XP Pro SP3. Office 2002. Followed
instructions in
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...error-80070643.
Set Office Source Engine t oAUtomatic and started it. Rebooted and verified
the settings - automatic and started. Tried to install update but it still
failed. Thanks for any help.

"Peter Foldes" wrote:

> http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...error-80070643
>
> --
> Peter

> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
> "petermad" <petermad@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have the same problem when the system tries to autoupdate KB982311. The
> > error code is 0x80070643 - and the system keeps trying to install this
> > particular update.
> >
> > I am running Windows XP SP3. All other updates from june 11th 2010
> > installed without problems - only this one failed.
> >
> > I don't have a genuine Microsoft Office 2003 installation - only the free
> > Office Viewers from Microsoft - maye that's the reason, though it has never
> > caused problems before when installing security fixes With Microsoft Update.
> >

> > "SMBetz" wrote:
> >
> >> Running current Windows XP Pro SP3 system with Office 2002. Attempted
> >> install of latest June 2nd Tuesday updates and KB982311 failed to install.

> .

thedre

Re: Installation of KB982311 Failed

I had the exact same problem, and this is how I solved it:

I tried the hints in
'Windows Update error 80070643' (http://tinyurl.com/y9zypwv)
and started the service 'Office Source Engine', which was set to manual
in my case. After trying to install KB982311 again, it still failed.
I don't think this helped at all, but maybe the 'O.S.E.' service needs
to run for the next actions to work.

I googled KB982311 and I downloaded the update from
'Download details: Security Update for Microsoft Office 2003 (KB982311)'
(http://tinyurl.com/2b6rwrb)
This is an exe, which can be opened with winzip, and contains 4 files:
ohotfix.exe, ohotfix.ini ohotfixr.dll and MSO.msp.
I extracted them to a temporary folder and executed MSO.msp. I could
just double-click it, but if it is not associated with any program you
should open it with c:\windows\system32\msiexec.exe.
Then the update installed just fine.
At the end it asked to restart the computer which i was too lazy (and
impatient) to do at that time.

To check if it had really succeeded I ran windows update again, and then
it wanted to install 5 office related updates:
KB982311 (Yes still there, perhaps I should have restarted, but now it
succeeded!!!! )
KB982122
KB982133
KB983503
and
KB982134
The last one failed with error 0x80246002.....
But after a restart it also installed without any problem.

So in the end, everything is installed, no more nagging messages!
Thanks Microsoft, for this user-friendly experience, and the non-help in
the given solution.

Posted at http://microsofthelpforums.com