OT: Connections.microsoft.com

BobS

OT: Connections.microsoft.com
This newsgroup is the last one still standing that I have subscribed to
over the years. All the rest that I've used have migrated - somewhere
within the MS structure called Connections. I have a Live ID, signed
up, downloaded and installed the forums bridge and use OE to view.

It didn't go smoothly at all but finally last night I got it up and
running except for "Answers" even after changing the port to 119 from
the default 120. But no matter, I will get that figured out soon
enough. I keep getting the "In order to use MS Answers NNTP Bridge you
must first log into forums and enable "se NNTP Bridge" option....." I
have but continue to get this error.

Tonight I decided to try and find the equivalent of the newsgroups that
used to be under msnews.microsoft.com. None have the same names nor am
I able to locate a cross-reference list of where what the groups may be
called in this (new to me) structure.

Also, the Connections server is so busy I am being constantly knocked
off and then can't reconnect. Hmmm....with all the billions and
billions, one would think they could afford the hardware to support
this change. Guess their assumptions were wrong - these newsgroups
really do have more traffic than they thought since their servers can't
handle the load.

Anyone have a suggestion on a cross-reference list of the newsgroups or
do we just have to guess and go flailing around?

Thank you,

Bob S.

Re: Connections.microsoft.com
Online Forums Connection
https://connect.microsoft.com/site/s...spx?SiteID=927

Also see http://social.answers.microsoft.com/...en-US/help#406

BobS wrote:
> This newsgroup is the last one still standing that I have subscribed to
> over the years. All the rest that I've used have migrated - somewhere
> within the MS structure called Connections. I have a Live ID, signed
> up, downloaded and installed the forums bridge and use OE to view.
>
> It didn't go smoothly at all but finally last night I got it up and
> running except for "Answers" even after changing the port to 119 from
> the default 120. But no matter, I will get that figured out soon
> enough. I keep getting the "In order to use MS Answers NNTP Bridge you
> must first log into forums and enable "se NNTP Bridge" option....." I
> have but continue to get this error.
>
> Tonight I decided to try and find the equivalent of the newsgroups that
> used to be under msnews.microsoft.com. None have the same names nor am
> I able to locate a cross-reference list of where what the groups may be
> called in this (new to me) structure.
>
> Also, the Connections server is so busy I am being constantly knocked
> off and then can't reconnect. Hmmm....with all the billions and
> billions, one would think they could afford the hardware to support
> this change. Guess their assumptions were wrong - these newsgroups
> really do have more traffic than they thought since their servers can't
> handle the load.
>
> Anyone have a suggestion on a cross-reference list of the newsgroups or
> do we just have to guess and go flailing around?
>
> Thank you,
>
> Bob S.

MowGreen

Re: Connections.microsoft.com
As an alternative bridge, sort of like the Led Zeppelin of bridges, see:

Community Forums NNTP bridge
http://communitybridge.codeplex.com/

It replaces the MS NNTP Bridge completely and
> Unifies the access to social and answers forms to a single NNTP server (no two servers
> needed!)

MowGreen
================
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
================

banthecheck.com

> BobS wrote:
>> This newsgroup is the last one still standing that I have subscribed to
>> over the years. All the rest that I've used have migrated - somewhere
>> within the MS structure called Connections. I have a Live ID, signed
>> up, downloaded and installed the forums bridge and use OE to view.
>>
>> It didn't go smoothly at all but finally last night I got it up and
>> running except for "Answers" even after changing the port to 119 from
>> the default 120. But no matter, I will get that figured out soon
>> enough. I keep getting the "In order to use MS Answers NNTP Bridge you
>> must first log into forums and enable "se NNTP Bridge" option....." I
>> have but continue to get this error.
>>
>> Tonight I decided to try and find the equivalent of the newsgroups that
>> used to be under msnews.microsoft.com. None have the same names nor am
>> I able to locate a cross-reference list of where what the groups may be
>> called in this (new to me) structure.
>>
>> Also, the Connections server is so busy I am being constantly knocked
>> off and then can't reconnect. Hmmm....with all the billions and
>> billions, one would think they could afford the hardware to support
>> this change. Guess their assumptions were wrong - these newsgroups
>> really do have more traffic than they thought since their servers can't
>> handle the load.
>>
>> Anyone have a suggestion on a cross-reference list of the newsgroups or
>> do we just have to guess and go flailing around?
>>
>> Thank you,
>>
>> Bob S.

BobS

Thank You - Re: Connections.microsoft.com
Thanks to both of you for the good info.

Appreciate the help,

Bob S.