Error code 646

olusesanyeni

Error code 646
Out of several updates received on 6/10/2010, one update in a group of four
encountered an unknown problem during installation. This update is the
Security for Microsoft Office System (KB 982331). I use Vista Home Premium
and shall be grateful if anyone can render assistance to resolve this
problem. Thank you.
MowGreen

Re: Error code 646
As posted previously by Engel, from a post by an MS Support Engineer in
the social.answers.update forum:
http://social.answers.microsoft.com/...9-068b00faef6b

1. Turn off UAC. Don't just lower down the restrictions - turn it off
completely.
2. Restart your computer for the change to take into effect.
3. Re-download Security Update for the 2007 Microsoft Office System
(KB982331) from the link below:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=7f89a734-cda4-4abb-9a10-f6dfe560e8d0&displaylang=en>

4. Install it.

MowGreen
================
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
================

banthecheck.com

olusesanyeni wrote:
> Out of several updates received on 6/10/2010, one update in a group of four
> encountered an unknown problem during installation. This update is the
> Security for Microsoft Office System (KB 982331). I use Vista Home Premium
> and shall be grateful if anyone can render assistance to resolve this
> problem. Thank you.

Re: Error code 646
Do you see any other threads about this error in this newsgroup?

olusesanyeni wrote:
> Out of several updates received on 6/10/2010, one update in a group of
> four
> encountered an unknown problem during installation. This update is the
> Security for Microsoft Office System (KB 982331). I use Vista Home Premium
> and shall be grateful if anyone can render assistance to resolve this
> problem. Thank you.

Bickford Schmeckler

Re: Error code 646
Why would he? As like many of the other HoopleHeads, you can be sure he
didn't bother to look. Lazy is as lazy does.

:
: olusesanyeni wrote:
: > Out of several updates received on 6/10/2010, one update in a group of
: > four
: > encountered an unknown problem during installation. This update is the
: > Security for Microsoft Office System (KB 982331). I use Vista Home
Premium
: > and shall be grateful if anyone can render assistance to resolve this
: > problem. Thank you.
:

nachtrn24

RE: Error code 646

"olusesanyeni" wrote:

> Out of several updates received on 6/10/2010, one update in a group of four
> encountered an unknown problem during installation. This update is the
> Security for Microsoft Office System (KB 982331). I use Vista Home Premium
> and shall be grateful if anyone can render assistance to resolve this
> problem. Thank you.

nachtrn24

RE: Error code 646
Know the feeling. Spent days on this tried 5x, failed 5x. Somehow I decided
to turn off firewalls. That didn't work, BUT if you turn off user account
controls you can install all these updates. I use the same OS and go to
control panel, click user accounts, turn off controls, go back and install
downloaded updates, the go turn user account controls back on. Glad I could
be of assistance.

"olusesanyeni" wrote:

> Out of several updates received on 6/10/2010, one update in a group of four
> encountered an unknown problem during installation. This update is the
> Security for Microsoft Office System (KB 982331). I use Vista Home Premium
> and shall be grateful if anyone can render assistance to resolve this
> problem. Thank you.

nachtrn24

RE: Error code 646
Sorry for blank reply. Tech challenged, so it's amazing I know how to solve
the problem. Go to control panel, click user accounts, turn off user account
controls, go back install, go back after installation and turn account
controls on.

"olusesanyeni" wrote:

> Out of several updates received on 6/10/2010, one update in a group of four
> encountered an unknown problem during installation. This update is the
> Security for Microsoft Office System (KB 982331). I use Vista Home Premium
> and shall be grateful if anyone can render assistance to resolve this
> problem. Thank you.

Big Red

RE: Error code 646

"nachtrn24" wrote:

> Know the feeling. Spent days on this tried 5x, failed 5x. Somehow I decided
> to turn off firewalls. That didn't work, BUT if you turn off user account
> controls you can install all these updates. I use the same OS and go to
> control panel, click user accounts, turn off controls, go back and install
> downloaded updates, the go turn user account controls back on. Glad I could
> be of assistance.
>
> "olusesanyeni" wrote:
>
> > Out of several updates received on 6/10/2010, one update in a group of four
> > encountered an unknown problem during installation. This update is the
> > Security for Microsoft Office System (KB 982331). I use Vista Home Premium
> > and shall be grateful if anyone can render assistance to resolve this
> > problem. Thank you.

Big Red

RE: Error code 646
Some updates need to be installed right from the kb artical itself and this
is another method that I have found in the past that works without turning
off the UAC control.

When you started your user account settings that were in your original
account were not transfered over and this is the cause of the problem.