Error code: 0x80244017

Alberto

Error code: 0x80244017
Dear All,

we have a win 2003 sp1 machine and we got this code

[Error number: 0x80244017]

when we try to update windows from windowsupdate.microsoft.com web site.

Any one of you could give me an help?

Regards

Alberto Brivio

Peter Foldes

Re: Error code: 0x80244017
Alberto

Obviously you will get that error code . Why is SP2 not installed ? Install SP2 and
solve the issue at hand

--
Peter

http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Alberto" <assistenza@adb.it> wrote in message
> Dear All,
>

> we have a win 2003 sp1 machine and we got this code
>
> [Error number: 0x80244017]
>
> when we try to update windows from windowsupdate.microsoft.com web site.
>
> Any one of you could give me an help?
>

> Regards
>
> Alberto Brivio

MowGreen

Re: Error code: 0x80244017
0x80244017 WU_E_PT_HTTP_STATUS_DENIED
HTTP 401 - the requested resource requires user authentication.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/896226
" If your proxy server or your firewall is already configured for
anonymous access, you can gather more information about the actual cause
of the error messages that are mentioned in the "Symptoms" section by
using the Network Monitor Capture Utility. You must keep the Network
Monitor Capture Utility running when you access the Windows Update Web
site for the utility to display the actual cause of the error messages.
For more information about the Network Monitor Capture Utility, click
the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft
Knowledge Base:
Description of the Network Monitor Capture utility
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310875 "

MowGreen
================
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
================

banthecheck.com

Peter Foldes wrote:
> Alberto
>
> Obviously you will get that error code . Why is SP2 not installed ?
> Install SP2 and solve the issue at hand

Peter Foldes

Re: Error code: 0x80244017
Mow

This issue was corrected in W2K3 SP2 update.

--

"MowGreen" <mowgreen@nowandzen.com> wrote in message
> 0x80244017 WU_E_PT_HTTP_STATUS_DENIED
> HTTP 401 - the requested resource requires user authentication.
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/896226
> " If your proxy server or your firewall is already configured for anonymous
> access, you can gather more information about the actual cause of the error
> messages that are mentioned in the "Symptoms" section by using the Network Monitor
> Capture Utility. You must keep the Network Monitor Capture Utility running when
> you access the Windows Update Web site for the utility to display the actual cause
> of the error messages. For more information about the Network Monitor Capture
> Utility, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft
> Knowledge Base:
> Description of the Network Monitor Capture utility
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310875 "
>

> MowGreen
> ================
> *-343-* FDNY
> Never Forgotten
> ================
>
> banthecheck.com
> "Security updates should *never* have *non-security content* prechecked
>

> Peter Foldes wrote:
>> Alberto
>>
>> Obviously you will get that error code . Why is SP2 not installed ?
>> Install SP2 and solve the issue at hand

Peter Foldes

Re: Error code: 0x80244017
Mow

Sorry, but maybe I did not explain correctly. During W2K3 SP1 this 0x80244017
U_E_PT_HTTP_STATUS_DENIED
issue was very common. It had to do with the Windows Firewall not being able to be
configured correctly in SP1. With SP2 this issue with the Windows Firewall in W2K3
was corrected

Peter Foldes wrote:
> Mow
>
> Sorry, but maybe I did not explain correctly. During W2K3 SP1 this
> 0x80244017 U_E_PT_HTTP_STATUS_DENIED
> issue was very common. It had to do with the Windows Firewall not being
> able to be configured correctly in SP1. With SP2 this issue with the
> Windows Firewall in W2K3 was corrected
>
> --
> Peter

> http://www.microsoft.com/protect

NP, Peter. You explained well enough. I just wanted to throw in that
tidbit because Alberto *may* be running a proxy or a 3rd party firewall.
I wasn't aware of that specific updating issue in WS2K3 nor that it was
corrected by applying SP2.
Then again, neither was Alberto. <g>
Thanks for the info.

MowGreen