Disable Auto-restart

Bill Davy

Disable Auto-restart
Running XP and Office 2007.

Because of some problem installing Office, whenever my PC restarts, Word
comes up in a nobbled state (cut/past and save disabled). Because update
has restarted my PC overnight, I end up losing anything I have done in Word
that I have not manually saved.

I've looked in the registry for NoAutoRebootWithLoggedOnUsers and it's not
there.

I cannot see how to prevent this automatic reboot.

Any help appreciated.

Bill

PS Fixing the problem that Office wants to reconfigure after a reboot would
also solve this problem.

Bickford Schmeckler

Re: Disable Auto-restart
What is your Windows Update question?

"Bill Davy" <Bill@SynectixLtd.com> wrote in message
: Running XP and Office 2007.
:
[...]

How to inhibit auto-reboot?

XP Pro 2002 SP3

"Bickford Schmeckler" <Bickford@Schmeckler.invalid> wrote in message
> What is your Windows Update question?
>
> "Bill Davy" <Bill@SynectixLtd.com> wrote in message
> : Running XP and Office 2007.
> :
> : Because of some problem installing Office, whenever my PC restarts, Word
> : comes up in a nobbled state (cut/past and save disabled). Because
> update
> : has restarted my PC overnight, I end up losing anything I have done in
> Word
> : that I have not manually saved.
> :
> : I've looked in the registry for NoAutoRebootWithLoggedOnUsers and it's
> not
> : there.
> :
> : I cannot see how to prevent this automatic reboot.
> :
> : Any help appreciated.
> :
> : Bill
> :
> : PS Fixing the problem that Office wants to reconfigure after a reboot
> would
> : also solve this problem.
> :
> :

Bickford Schmeckler

Re: Disable Auto-restart
That has nothing to do with Windows Update issues.

"Bill Davy" <Bill@SynectixLtd.com> wrote in message
: How to inhibit auto-reboot?
:
: XP Pro 2002 SP3
:
: "Bickford Schmeckler" <Bickford@Schmeckler.invalid> wrote in message
: news:huqm89$lmi$1@news.eternal-september.org...
: > What is your Windows Update question?
: >
: > "Bill Davy" <Bill@SynectixLtd.com> wrote in message
: > news:87bktpFob7U1@mid.individual.net...
: > : Running XP and Office 2007.
: > :
[...]

• Microsoft Update Product Team Blog: Windows Update and Automatic
Reboots
http://blogs.technet.com/mu/archive/...c-reboots.aspx

• How to configure and use Automatic Updates in WinXP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306525

Select the Notify Only setting and no updates will download or install
without your explicit Approval. End of problem.

Bill Davy wrote:
> Running XP and Office 2007.
>
> Because of some problem installing Office, whenever my PC restarts, Word
> comes up in a nobbled state (cut/past and save disabled). Because update
> has restarted my PC overnight, I end up losing anything I have done in
> Word
> that I have not manually saved.
>
> I've looked in the registry for NoAutoRebootWithLoggedOnUsers and it's not
> there.
>
> I cannot see how to prevent this automatic reboot.
>
> Any help appreciated.
>
> Bill
>
> PS Fixing the problem that Office wants to reconfigure after a reboot
> would
> also solve this problem.

Bill Davy

Re: Disable Auto-restart
Sorry? I come down in the morning, there is some message about Windows
having been updated and that required a restart. And that is what causes
the problem.
Was that typed in by a green pixie while I was asleep?
Or is that not what Windows Update means?
I did have my windows cleaned the other day, so perhaps it was the chap with
a ladder and a chamois.
Wanders off muttering.

> That has nothing to do with Windows Update issues.
>
> "Bill Davy" <Bill@SynectixLtd.com> wrote in message
> : How to inhibit auto-reboot?
> :
> : XP Pro 2002 SP3
> :
> : "Bickford Schmeckler" <Bickford@Schmeckler.invalid> wrote in message
> : news:huqm89$lmi$1@news.eternal-september.org...
> : > What is your Windows Update question?
> : >
> : > "Bill Davy" <Bill@SynectixLtd.com> wrote in message
> : > news:87bktpFob7U1@mid.individual.net...
> : > : Running XP and Office 2007.
> : > :
> : > : Because of some problem installing Office, whenever my PC restarts,
> Word
> : > : comes up in a nobbled state (cut/past and save disabled). Because
> : > update
> : > : has restarted my PC overnight, I end up losing anything I have done
> in
> : > Word
> : > : that I have not manually saved.
> : > :
> : > : I've looked in the registry for NoAutoRebootWithLoggedOnUsers and
> it's
> : > not
> : > : there.
> : > :
> : > : I cannot see how to prevent this automatic reboot.
> : > :
> : > : Any help appreciated.
> : > :
> : > : Bill
> : > :
> : > : PS Fixing the problem that Office wants to reconfigure after a
> reboot
> : > would
> : > : also solve this problem.
> : > :
> : > :
> : >
> : >
> :
> :
> :

Bill Davy

Re: Disable Auto-restart
This is exactly what I wnated. Just hope it works!
Many thanks.

Bill

> • Microsoft Update Product Team Blog: Windows Update and Automatic
> Reboots
>
> http://blogs.technet.com/mu/archive/...c-reboots.aspx
>
> • How to configure and use Automatic Updates in WinXP
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306525
>
> Select the Notify Only setting and no updates will download or install
> without your explicit Approval. End of problem.
>

> Bill Davy wrote:
>> Running XP and Office 2007.
>>
>> Because of some problem installing Office, whenever my PC restarts, Word
>> comes up in a nobbled state (cut/past and save disabled). Because update
>> has restarted my PC overnight, I end up losing anything I have done in
>> Word
>> that I have not manually saved.
>>
>> I've looked in the registry for NoAutoRebootWithLoggedOnUsers and it's
>> not
>> there.
>>
>> I cannot see how to prevent this automatic reboot.
>>
>> Any help appreciated.
>>
>> Bill
>>
>> PS Fixing the problem that Office wants to reconfigure after a reboot
>> would
>> also solve this problem.

Re: Disable Auto-restart
You're welcome & thanks for your feedback.