Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

Ju8ne 2010 updates

microsoft.public.windowsupdate






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 06-09-2010
Trekrod
 

Posts: n/a
Ju8ne 2010 updates
For XP SP3 Prof 20 updates all are already applied and the new ones show up
with 0KB size 0Minutes to install. ONly the malicious software one has a
size and time.

Looks like a release goof up and MS better fix fast.

Also the update KB 979906 which has been a perpetual failure is back again.
This was messed up when it was first released and never fixed by MS.
--
Thank you very much for your time and consideration.

Trekrod
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 06-09-2010
Susan Bradley
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Ju8ne 2010 updates
Trekrod wrote:
> For XP SP3 Prof 20 updates all are already applied and the new ones show up
> with 0KB size 0Minutes to install. ONly the malicious software one has a
> size and time.
>
> Looks like a release goof up and MS better fix fast.
>
> Also the update KB 979906 which has been a perpetual failure is back again.
> This was messed up when it was first released and never fixed by MS.
>

MS10-041: Description of the security update for the Microsoft.NET
Framework 1.1 Service Pack 1 in Windows 2000, in Windows XP, in Windows
Server 2003, in Windows Vista, and in Windows Server 2008: June 8, 2010:
http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;979906


That is a brand new release out yesterday. What do you mean by "first
released"?

I'm not seeing this on my XP's here can you manually rescan again? It
may be just a temporary glitch with your computer?
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 06-09-2010
Trekrod
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Ju8ne 2010 updates
Hi Susan,

Thank you for taking a look. I rescanned on my work system with same issue
0KB for everything windows or Office 2007. Only item that has a size and
time is Malicious SW update.

The system I have was recently re-imaged serveral months ago and previous
uses of the update site (Feb, March, April, May) worked fine with no
reporting issues with the updates scan and presentation of info.
--
Thank you very much for your time and consideration.

Trekrod


"Susan Bradley" wrote:

> Trekrod wrote:
> > For XP SP3 Prof 20 updates all are already applied and the new ones show up
> > with 0KB size 0Minutes to install. ONly the malicious software one has a
> > size and time.
> >
> > Looks like a release goof up and MS better fix fast.
> >
> > Also the update KB 979906 which has been a perpetual failure is back again.
> > This was messed up when it was first released and never fixed by MS.
> >

> MS10-041: Description of the security update for the Microsoft.NET
> Framework 1.1 Service Pack 1 in Windows 2000, in Windows XP, in Windows
> Server 2003, in Windows Vista, and in Windows Server 2008: June 8, 2010:
> http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;979906
>
>
> That is a brand new release out yesterday. What do you mean by "first
> released"?
>
> I'm not seeing this on my XP's here can you manually rescan again? It
> may be just a temporary glitch with your computer?
> .
>

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 06-09-2010
Harry Johnston [MVP]
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Ju8ne 2010 updates
On 2010-06-10 6:04 a.m., Trekrod wrote:

> For XP SP3 Prof 20 updates all are already applied and the new ones show up
> with 0KB size 0Minutes to install.


That's normal. It just means your machine has already finished downloading them.

Harry.


> ONly the malicious software one has a
> size and time.
>
> Looks like a release goof up and MS better fix fast.
>
> Also the update KB 979906 which has been a perpetual failure is back again.
> This was messed up when it was first released and never fixed by MS.



--
Harry Johnston
http://harryjohnston.wordpress.com
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 06-09-2010
Trekrod
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Ju8ne 2010 updates
Here are the examples

Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 7 for Windows XP (KB982381)
Download size: 0 KB , 0 minutes (Downloaded; ready to install)
Security issues have been identified that could allow an attacker to
compromise a system that is running Microsoft Internet Explorer and gain
control over it. You can help protect your system by installing this update
from Microsoft. After you install this item, you may have to restart your
computer. Details...

Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool - June 2010 (KB890830)
Download size: 1.3 MB , less than 1 minute
After the download, this tool runs one time to check your computer for
infection by specific, prevalent malicious software (including Blaster,
Sasser, and Mydoom) and helps remove any infection that is found. If an
infection is found, the tool will display a status report the next time that
you start your computer. A new version of the tool will be offered every
month. If you want to manually run the tool on your computer, you can
download a copy from the Microsoft Download Center, or you can run an online
version from microsoft.com. This tool is not a replacement for an antivirus
product. To help protect your computer, you should use an antivirus product.
Details...


Security Update for the 2007 Microsoft Office System (KB982331)
Download size: 0 KB , 0 minutes (Downloaded; ready to install)
A security vulnerability exists in the 2007 Microsoft Office System and the
Microsoft Office Compatibility Pack that could allow arbitrary code to run
when a maliciously modified file is opened. This update resolves that
vulnerability. Details...

--
Thank you very much for your time and consideration.

Trekrod


"Trekrod" wrote:

> Hi Susan,
>
> Thank you for taking a look. I rescanned on my work system with same issue
> 0KB for everything windows or Office 2007. Only item that has a size and
> time is Malicious SW update.
>
> The system I have was recently re-imaged serveral months ago and previous
> uses of the update site (Feb, March, April, May) worked fine with no
> reporting issues with the updates scan and presentation of info.
> --
> Thank you very much for your time and consideration.
>
> Trekrod
>
>
> "Susan Bradley" wrote:
>
> > Trekrod wrote:
> > > For XP SP3 Prof 20 updates all are already applied and the new ones show up
> > > with 0KB size 0Minutes to install. ONly the malicious software one has a
> > > size and time.
> > >
> > > Looks like a release goof up and MS better fix fast.
> > >
> > > Also the update KB 979906 which has been a perpetual failure is back again.
> > > This was messed up when it was first released and never fixed by MS.
> > >

> > MS10-041: Description of the security update for the Microsoft.NET
> > Framework 1.1 Service Pack 1 in Windows 2000, in Windows XP, in Windows
> > Server 2003, in Windows Vista, and in Windows Server 2008: June 8, 2010:
> > http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;979906
> >
> >
> > That is a brand new release out yesterday. What do you mean by "first
> > released"?
> >
> > I'm not seeing this on my XP's here can you manually rescan again? It
> > may be just a temporary glitch with your computer?
> > .
> >

Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 06-09-2010
Trekrod
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Ju8ne 2010 updates
Here is a "Software Optional item for Windows Live Essentials which is also
working correctly.

Windows Live Essentials
Download size: 1.1 MB , less than 1 minute
Windows Live Essentials provides a set of free programs that help you stay
in touch with the people you care about most, edit and share your photos and
memories, and even help you keep your kids safer online. Programs include
Windows Live Messenger, Mail, Writer, Photo Gallery, Family Safety, Toolbar,
and Movie Maker. Details...


--
Thank you very much for your time and consideration.

Trekrod


"Trekrod" wrote:

> Here are the examples
>
> Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 7 for Windows XP (KB982381)
> Download size: 0 KB , 0 minutes (Downloaded; ready to install)
> Security issues have been identified that could allow an attacker to
> compromise a system that is running Microsoft Internet Explorer and gain
> control over it. You can help protect your system by installing this update
> from Microsoft. After you install this item, you may have to restart your
> computer. Details...
>
> Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool - June 2010 (KB890830)
> Download size: 1.3 MB , less than 1 minute
> After the download, this tool runs one time to check your computer for
> infection by specific, prevalent malicious software (including Blaster,
> Sasser, and Mydoom) and helps remove any infection that is found. If an
> infection is found, the tool will display a status report the next time that
> you start your computer. A new version of the tool will be offered every
> month. If you want to manually run the tool on your computer, you can
> download a copy from the Microsoft Download Center, or you can run an online
> version from microsoft.com. This tool is not a replacement for an antivirus
> product. To help protect your computer, you should use an antivirus product.
> Details...
>
>
> Security Update for the 2007 Microsoft Office System (KB982331)
> Download size: 0 KB , 0 minutes (Downloaded; ready to install)
> A security vulnerability exists in the 2007 Microsoft Office System and the
> Microsoft Office Compatibility Pack that could allow arbitrary code to run
> when a maliciously modified file is opened. This update resolves that
> vulnerability. Details...
>
> --
> Thank you very much for your time and consideration.
>
> Trekrod
>
>
> "Trekrod" wrote:
>
> > Hi Susan,
> >
> > Thank you for taking a look. I rescanned on my work system with same issue
> > 0KB for everything windows or Office 2007. Only item that has a size and
> > time is Malicious SW update.
> >
> > The system I have was recently re-imaged serveral months ago and previous
> > uses of the update site (Feb, March, April, May) worked fine with no
> > reporting issues with the updates scan and presentation of info.
> > --
> > Thank you very much for your time and consideration.
> >
> > Trekrod
> >
> >
> > "Susan Bradley" wrote:
> >
> > > Trekrod wrote:
> > > > For XP SP3 Prof 20 updates all are already applied and the new ones show up
> > > > with 0KB size 0Minutes to install. ONly the malicious software one has a
> > > > size and time.
> > > >
> > > > Looks like a release goof up and MS better fix fast.
> > > >
> > > > Also the update KB 979906 which has been a perpetual failure is back again.
> > > > This was messed up when it was first released and never fixed by MS.
> > > >
> > > MS10-041: Description of the security update for the Microsoft.NET
> > > Framework 1.1 Service Pack 1 in Windows 2000, in Windows XP, in Windows
> > > Server 2003, in Windows Vista, and in Windows Server 2008: June 8, 2010:
> > > http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;979906
> > >
> > >
> > > That is a brand new release out yesterday. What do you mean by "first
> > > released"?
> > >
> > > I'm not seeing this on my XP's here can you manually rescan again? It
> > > may be just a temporary glitch with your computer?
> > > .
> > >

Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 06-10-2010
PA Bear [MS MVP]
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Ju8ne 2010 updates
KB979906 was released on 08 June 2010.

Open Internet Explorer (only) to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com | Select
CUSTOM and scan | Install any Critical Security Updates offered (e.g.,
KB982381). If a Root Certificates update is listed in the Optional Software
updates category on the left-hand side of the scan results window, install
it to take full advantage of IE's enhanced security.

Once you're done, return to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com & click on
Show Update History in left-hand menu: What, if any, updates failed to
install (KB number, please) and what, if any, errors are associated with the
failed installs?
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Client - since 2002



Trekrod wrote:
> For XP SP3 Prof 20 updates all are already applied and the new ones show
> up
> with 0KB size 0Minutes to install. ONly the malicious software one has a
> size and time.
>
> Looks like a release goof up and MS better fix fast.
>
> Also the update KB 979906 which has been a perpetual failure is back
> again.
> This was messed up when it was first released and never fixed by MS.


Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 06-10-2010
Trekrod
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Ju8ne 2010 updates
Hi PA bear,

When I booted this morning the updates were automatically installed. While
this usually doesn't happen it appears my company forced the updates to
install on boot.

I did check the history and confirmed that all updates installed OK
including the Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 SP1 Security Update for Windows
2000 and Windows XP (KB979906) on my work system.

I am still having troubles on my home systems with the .NET Framework1.1 SP
1 but that is an issue for a different thread and different time. Those
machines did not report a 0KB size.

The only item that was not installed automatically was the Malicious
Software one which I installed this morning with no issues.

All other non-critical and optional except Live Update, and HP Printer
Driver and IE 8.0 are installed

Not installed by design:

Hewlett-Packard - Printing - hp LaserJet 4350 (DOT4PAR) (NEtwork Printer)
Internet Explorer 8 for Windows XP (Not compatible with some applications I
need for Work)
Windows Live Essentials ( No need for Live access)

I will keep the process and steps as a handy process info doc for next time
to try and capture any issues that may arise.

--
Thank you very much for your time and consideration.

Trekrod


"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> KB979906 was released on 08 June 2010.
>
> Open Internet Explorer (only) to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com | Select
> CUSTOM and scan | Install any Critical Security Updates offered (e.g.,
> KB982381). If a Root Certificates update is listed in the Optional Software
> updates category on the left-hand side of the scan results window, install
> it to take full advantage of IE's enhanced security.
>
> Once you're done, return to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com & click on
> Show Update History in left-hand menu: What, if any, updates failed to
> install (KB number, please) and what, if any, errors are associated with the
> failed installs?
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Client - since 2002
>
>
>
> Trekrod wrote:
> > For XP SP3 Prof 20 updates all are already applied and the new ones show
> > up
> > with 0KB size 0Minutes to install. ONly the malicious software one has a
> > size and time.
> >
> > Looks like a release goof up and MS better fix fast.
> >
> > Also the update KB 979906 which has been a perpetual failure is back
> > again.
> > This was messed up when it was first released and never fixed by MS.

>
> .
>

Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 06-10-2010
Trekrod
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Ju8ne 2010 updates
Hi Harry,

Thank you for the info. See my response to PA Bear on what happened today
in AM when I booted up the machine. Makes sense but that was never done
before by my system without me manually doing the download. Looks like my
Company Policies may have handled something in background due to critical
nature of some of the updates/security enhancements.

--
Thank you very much for your time and consideration.

Trekrod


"Harry Johnston [MVP]" wrote:

> On 2010-06-10 6:04 a.m., Trekrod wrote:
>
> > For XP SP3 Prof 20 updates all are already applied and the new ones show up
> > with 0KB size 0Minutes to install.

>
> That's normal. It just means your machine has already finished downloading them.
>
> Harry.
>
>
> > ONly the malicious software one has a
> > size and time.
> >
> > Looks like a release goof up and MS better fix fast.
> >
> > Also the update KB 979906 which has been a perpetual failure is back again.
> > This was messed up when it was first released and never fixed by MS.

>
>
> --
> Harry Johnston
> http://harryjohnston.wordpress.com
> .
>

Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 06-10-2010
Trekrod
 

Posts: n/a
RE: Ju8ne 2010 updates
To all looks like I goofed up and reacted to quickly. Looks like group
Policy had already forced the updates to download and was just looking for
permission to install or install on shut down or boot up/log on

The second item for the .NEt 1.1 SP1 for my work system went fine and I
apologize for trouble with mistatement on this. While I do have issues with
this on my home sytems that is an issue for a different thread and time.

Again sorry for the false alarms.
--
Thank you very much for your time and consideration.

Trekrod


"Trekrod" wrote:

> For XP SP3 Prof 20 updates all are already applied and the new ones show up
> with 0KB size 0Minutes to install. ONly the malicious software one has a
> size and time.
>
> Looks like a release goof up and MS better fix fast.
>
> Also the update KB 979906 which has been a perpetual failure is back again.
> This was messed up when it was first released and never fixed by MS.
> --
> Thank you very much for your time and consideration.
>
> Trekrod

Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
office 2007 updates for office 2010 MNDT microsoft.public.windowsupdate 2 06-20-2010 18:09
June 2010 Updates John microsoft.public.windowsupdate 4 06-08-2010 22:43
Security Updates will not Install - As far back as Feb 2010 Elizabeth microsoft.public.windowsupdate 4 04-22-2010 01:08
Firefox 3.6.3 fix for CVE-2010-1121 http://www.mozilla.org/security/announce/2010/mfsa2010-25.html, (Fri, Apr 2nd) Steve Security News 0 04-02-2010 03:00
VMWare: new ESX security advisory VMSA-2010-0004 and updated VMSA-2010-0001.1. See http://lists.vmware.com/pipermail/security-announce/2010/subject.html, (Thu, Mar 4th) Steve Security News 0 03-04-2010 12:30




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:48.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120