sherlockomes

Running : Windows XP media center edition SP3
Have tried installing KB979906 a few times and also downloaded update
manually but cannot install this update. Receiving error 0x643.Is it safe to
uninstall the .NET Framework 1.1 and re-install as possibly corrupt , without
having to uninstall/re-install all other .NET frameworks 2 , 3 and 3.5
including the updates that go with them? ..
Ǝиçεl

RE: Cannot install update KB979906 for .NET Framework 1.1 SP1
Hello sherlockomes,

you might want to look at the following kb article to see if this will help
with the error 80070643.

<http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Windows-Update-error-80070643>
-=-

Hope this helps, if not wait for more responses, please

Ǝиçεl
©¿©¬
-=-

"sherlockomes" wrote:

> Running : Windows XP media center edition SP3
> Have tried installing KB979906 a few times and also downloaded update
> manually but cannot install this update. Receiving error 0x643.Is it safe to
> uninstall the .NET Framework 1.1 and re-install as possibly corrupt , without
> having to uninstall/re-install all other .NET frameworks 2 , 3 and 3.5
> including the updates that go with them? ..

Re: Cannot install update KB979906 for .NET Framework 1.1 SP1
First run the Fix It in this KB article & see if the update will install
after doing so:

How to fix MSI software update registration corruption issues
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971187

If no joy, see...

When installing updates using Windows update or Microsoft Update you may
receive Error 0x643 or 0x80070643 (23 Oct-09)
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976982

Then proceed per the following:

=====================

Step #1 => Before doing anything else, write down what .NET Framework
versions are currently installed:

How to determine which versions of the .NET Framework are installed and
whether service packs have been applied
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318785

Step #2 => Now see Resolution Method 2 in this related KB article:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923100

After running the .NET Framework Cleanup Tool (not the Windows Installer
Cleanup utility!), reinstall all .NET Framework versions (but only the ones
you wrote down in #1 above) manually using the download links on the page
then run Windows Update manually to install security updates for same.

NB: If you remove .NET Framework 3.5 (SP1) using the tool, reinstalling .NET
Framework 3.5 will also install .Net Framework 2.0 SP2 and 3.0 SP2; then
Windows Update will offer .NET Framework 3.5 SP1.

IMPORTANT! => If you remove .NET Framework 3.5 (SP1), reinstall your .NET
Framework versions in the following order:

1. .Net Framework 3.5, then...
2. .Net Framework 1.1, then...
3. .Net Framework 1.1 SP1

NB: KB923100 references this page:
http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archi...30/611355.aspx. Please read
ALL of it as well as the related page
http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/pages/8904493.aspx before using the .NET
Framework Cleanup Tool.

Step #3 => Check-in at Windows Update and install any critical security
updates offered.

sherlockomes wrote:
> Running : Windows XP media center edition SP3
> Have tried installing KB979906 a few times and also downloaded update
> manually but cannot install this update. Receiving error 0x643.Is it safe
> uninstall the .NET Framework 1.1 and re-install as possibly corrupt ,
> without having to uninstall/re-install all other .NET frameworks 2 , 3 and
> 3.5 including the updates that go with them? ..

sherlockomes

RE: Cannot install update KB979906 for .NET Framework 1.1 SP1
Thanks for info..Followed link and used repair tool for .NET Framework then
tried to re-install update with no success.I took a chance and just
un-installed the .NET 1.1 framework from add/remove programmes which also
removed all the previous 1.1 Framework fixes with it.I then re-installed it
via wndows updates with success.I restarted computer and then checked for
windows updates as normal which included KB979906 and it installed perfectly
without any errors.The earlier hotfixes did not appear as necessary updates
so i can only imagine they are now no longer required as KB979906 perhaps
incorporates all necessary fixes but i am only guessing.
Luckily i did not have to uninstall all other .NET frameworks 2 , 3 and
3.5 and reinstall them which would be a long process but the quick
alternative worked ok for me (so far)....

"Ǝиçεl" wrote:

> Hello sherlockomes,
>
> you might want to look at the following kb article to see if this will help
> with the error 80070643.
>
> <http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Windows-Update-error-80070643>
> -=-
>
> Hope this helps, if not wait for more responses, please
>

> Ǝиçεl
> ©¿©¬
> -=-
>
> "sherlockomes" wrote:
>
> > Running : Windows XP media center edition SP3
> > Have tried installing KB979906 a few times and also downloaded update
> > manually but cannot install this update. Receiving error 0x643.Is it safe to
> > uninstall the .NET Framework 1.1 and re-install as possibly corrupt , without
> > having to uninstall/re-install all other .NET frameworks 2 , 3 and 3.5
> > including the updates that go with them? ..

TruckerHarley

Re: Cannot install update KB979906 for .NET Framework 1.1 SP1
Same thing happened when we tried to update. 2 people updated, 2 people .Net
not working.

It seems these two are causing the problems:

KB979909
KB982168

We are refraining from updating the rest of the computers until we know
what's going on.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> First run the Fix It in this KB article & see if the update will install
> after doing so:
>
> How to fix MSI software update registration corruption issues
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971187
>
> If no joy, see...
>
> When installing updates using Windows update or Microsoft Update you may
> receive Error 0x643 or 0x80070643 (23 Oct-09)
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976982
>
> Then proceed per the following:
>
> =====================
>
> Step #1 => Before doing anything else, write down what .NET Framework
> versions are currently installed:
>
> How to determine which versions of the .NET Framework are installed and
> whether service packs have been applied
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318785
>
> Step #2 => Now see Resolution Method 2 in this related KB article:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923100
>
> After running the .NET Framework Cleanup Tool (not the Windows Installer
> Cleanup utility!), reinstall all .NET Framework versions (but only the ones
> you wrote down in #1 above) manually using the download links on the page
> then run Windows Update manually to install security updates for same.
>
> NB: If you remove .NET Framework 3.5 (SP1) using the tool, reinstalling .NET
> Framework 3.5 will also install .Net Framework 2.0 SP2 and 3.0 SP2; then
> Windows Update will offer .NET Framework 3.5 SP1.
>
> IMPORTANT! => If you remove .NET Framework 3.5 (SP1), reinstall your .NET
> Framework versions in the following order:
>
> 1. .Net Framework 3.5, then...
> 2. .Net Framework 1.1, then...
> 3. .Net Framework 1.1 SP1
>
> NB: KB923100 references this page:
> http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archi...30/611355.aspx. Please read
> ALL of it as well as the related page
> http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/pages/8904493.aspx before using the .NET
> Framework Cleanup Tool.
>
> Step #3 => Check-in at Windows Update and install any critical security
> updates offered.
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>

> sherlockomes wrote:
> > Running : Windows XP media center edition SP3
> > Have tried installing KB979906 a few times and also downloaded update
> > manually but cannot install this update. Receiving error 0x643.Is it safe
> > uninstall the .NET Framework 1.1 and re-install as possibly corrupt ,
> > without having to uninstall/re-install all other .NET frameworks 2 , 3 and
> > 3.5 including the updates that go with them? ..

> .

Re: Cannot install update KB979906 for .NET Framework 1.1 SP1
What's going on is that the updates aren't installing on the 2 computers.
Who knows why but only you can fix it.

See my previous reply or...

See the "How to obtain help" section of, e.g.,
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/979909

(1-866-727-2338; and/or 1-866-234-6020 and/or 1-800-936-5700) in the United
States and in Canada or by contacting your local Microsoft subsidiary.
There is no-charge for support calls that are associated with security
updates. When you call, clearly state that your problem is related to a
Security Update and cite the update's KB number (e.g., KB979909).

Or you can...

Start a free Windows Update support incident email request:

Customers who experience issues installing Microsoft security updates also
can visit the following page for assistance:

your usual support contacts.

TruckerHarley wrote:
> [...]
>> read
>> ALL of it as well as the related page
>> http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/pages/8904493.aspx before using the .NET
>> Framework Cleanup Tool.
>>
>> Step #3 => Check-in at Windows Update and install any critical security
>> updates offered.
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>>

>> sherlockomes wrote:
>>> Running : Windows XP media center edition SP3
>>> Have tried installing KB979906 a few times and also downloaded update
>>> manually but cannot install this update. Receiving error 0x643.Is it
>>> safe
>>> uninstall the .NET Framework 1.1 and re-install as possibly corrupt ,
>>> without having to uninstall/re-install all other .NET frameworks 2 , 3
>>> and
>>> 3.5 including the updates that go with them? ..

Susan Bradley

Re: Cannot install update KB979906 for .NET Framework 1.1 SP1
It's .net. They barf. Their "servicing" process sucks. There's no way
to predict what machines may have patching issues or not. You just have
to be ready when .NET has updates.

PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
> [...]
>>>
>>> Step #2 => Now see Resolution Method 2 in this related KB article:
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923100
>>>
>>> After running the .NET Framework Cleanup Tool (not the Windows
>>> Installer
>>> Cleanup utility!), reinstall all .NET Framework versions (but only
>>> the ones
>>> you wrote down in #1 above) manually using the download links on the
>>> page
>>> then run Windows Update manually to install security updates for same.
>>>
>>> NB: If you remove .NET Framework 3.5 (SP1) using the tool, reinstalling
>>> .NET Framework 3.5 will also install .Net Framework 2.0 SP2 and 3.0
>>> SP2;
>>> then Windows Update will offer .NET Framework 3.5 SP1.
>>>
>>> IMPORTANT! => If you remove .NET Framework 3.5 (SP1), reinstall your
>>> .NET
>>> Framework versions in the following order:

>>> 2. .Net Framework 1.1, then...
>>> 3. .Net Framework 1.1 SP1
>>>
>>> NB: KB923100 references this page:
>>> http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archi...30/611355.aspx.
>>> Please read
>>> ALL of it as well as the related page
>>> http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/pages/8904493.aspx before using the .NET
>>> Framework Cleanup Tool.
>>>
>>> Step #3 => Check-in at Windows Update and install any critical security
>>> updates offered.
>>> --
>>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

>>> .

Re: Cannot install update KB979906 for .NET Framework 1.1 SP1
No need to preach to the bass section of the choir, m'dear...

Susan Bradley wrote:
> It's .net. They barf. Their "servicing" process sucks. There's no way
> to predict what machines may have patching issues or not. You just have
> to be ready when .NET has updates.
>
> PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
>> What's going on is that the updates aren't installing on the 2
>> computers. Who knows why but only you can fix it.
>>
>> See my previous reply or...
>>
>> See the "How to obtain help" section of, e.g.,
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/979909
>>
>> For home users, no-charge support is available by calling
>> 1-866-PCSAFETY (1-866-727-2338; and/or 1-866-234-6020 and/or
>> 1-800-936-5700) in the United States and in Canada or by contacting
>> your local Microsoft subsidiary. There is no-charge for support calls
>> that are associated with security updates. When you call, clearly
>> state that your problem is related to a Security Update and cite the
>> update's KB number (e.g., KB979909).
>>
>> Or you can...
>>
>> Start a free Windows Update support incident email request:
>>
>> Customers who experience issues installing Microsoft security updates
>> also can visit the following page for assistance:
>> https://consumersecuritysupport.microsoft.com/
>>
>> For more information about how to contact your local Microsoft
>> subsidiary for security update support issues, visit the International
>> Support Web site: http://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx
>>
>> For enterprise customers, support for security updates is available
>> through your usual support contacts.
>>

>> TruckerHarley wrote:
>>> Same thing happened when we tried to update. 2 people updated, 2
>>> people .Net
>>> not working.
>>>
>>> It seems these two are causing the problems:
>>>
>>> KB979909
>>> KB982168
>>>
>>> We are refraining from updating the rest of the computers until we know
>>> what's going on.

unclemikenebr

Re: Cannot install update KB979906 for .NET Framework 1.1 SP1
Who has time for this? Is this why people switch to Mac Computers?
Mike

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> [...]
> >> then run Windows Update manually to install security updates for same.
> >>
> >> NB: If you remove .NET Framework 3.5 (SP1) using the tool, reinstalling
> >> .NET Framework 3.5 will also install .Net Framework 2.0 SP2 and 3.0 SP2;
> >> then Windows Update will offer .NET Framework 3.5 SP1.
> >>
> >> IMPORTANT! => If you remove .NET Framework 3.5 (SP1), reinstall your .NET
> >> Framework versions in the following order:
> >>
> >> 1. .Net Framework 3.5, then...
> >> 2. .Net Framework 1.1, then...
> >> 3. .Net Framework 1.1 SP1
> >>
> >> NB: KB923100 references this page:
> >> http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archi...30/611355.aspx. Please
> >> read
> >> ALL of it as well as the related page
> >> http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/pages/8904493.aspx before using the .NET
> >> Framework Cleanup Tool.
> >>
> >> Step #3 => Check-in at Windows Update and install any critical security

Harry Johnston [MVP]

On 2010-06-10 11:53 a.m., unclemikenebr wrote:

> Who has time for this? Is this why people switch to Mac Computers?

... I wasn't aware that anybody had. :-)

Harry.

--
Harry Johnston
http://harryjohnston.wordpress.com