.NET service pack is disturbing

Anne Onime

.NET service pack is disturbing
I installed XP last weekend, and then getting the updates
bit by bit during my provider's off-peak hours.
So latest was the .NET update (KB951847)
I download it, but when it came to the install phase, it
shows no progress for several minutes. This is on a
3.8 GHz with 4 GB DDR2 and SATA2. I really thought it was
froze.
Surely Microsoft developers must test these service packs
and observe that it seems to hang, and perhaps put in
a warning, so end users do not panic?

MowGreen

Re: .NET service pack is disturbing
Anne Onime wrote:
> I installed XP last weekend, and then getting the updates
> bit by bit during my provider's off-peak hours.
> So latest was the .NET update (KB951847)
> I download it, but when it came to the install phase, it
> shows no progress for several minutes. This is on a
> 3.8 GHz with 4 GB DDR2 and SATA2. I really thought it was
> froze.
> Surely Microsoft developers must test these service packs
> and observe that it seems to hang, and perhaps put in
> a warning, so end users do not panic?

Word of Warning - be aware that there are .NET updates included with
next week patch release. In fact, next Tuesday is starting to look like
the " Patch Tuesday Perfect Storm ".

Admins, beware !
Home Users ... hide the women and children ! Back up your data *NOW* !

" This month has 10 bulletins being addressed and this is how they break
down:

Three are Critical severity
Seven are Important severity
Seven relate to Windows
Three relate to Office
One involves Internet Explorer
One involves Windows Server Software (SharePoint) "
http://www.windowsobserver.com/2010/...tice-released/

MowGreen
================
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
================

banthecheck.com

Re: .NET service pack is disturbing
MowGreen wrote:
<snip>
> Word of Warning - be aware that there are .NET updates included with
> next week patch release. In fact, next Tuesday is starting to look like
> the " Patch Tuesday Perfect Storm ".
>
> Admins, beware !
> Home Users ... hide the women and children ! Back up your data *NOW* !
>
> " This month has 10 bulletins being addressed and this is how they break
> down:
>
> Three are Critical severity
> Seven are Important severity
> Seven relate to Windows
> Three relate to Office
> One involves Internet Explorer
> One involves Windows Server Software (SharePoint) "
> http://www.windowsobserver.com/2010/...tice-released/

Non-security updates being released on Tuesday, 08 June 2010 include:

.. KB982167 - .NET Framework 2.0 SP2 Update for Windows Server 2003 and
Windows XP

.. KB982168 - .NET Framework 3.0 SP2 Update for Windows Server 2003 and
Windows XP

.. KB982532 - .NET Framework 2.0 SP2 Update for Windows Server 2008 and
Windows Vista

.. KB982533 - .NET Framework 2.0 SP2 Update for Windows Vista SP2 and Windows
Server 2008 SP2 x86

.. KB982535 - .NET Framework 3.0 SP2 Update for Windows Server 2008 and
Windows Vista

.. KB982536 - .NET Framework 3.0 SP2 Update for Windows Server 2008 and
Windows Vista

.. KB905866 - Update for Windows Mail [Vista] Junk E-mail Filter [June 2010]

NB: Microsoft offers no-charge support for issues related to security
updates. NONE of the above are security updates!
--
~PA Bear

Bucky Breeder

Re: .NET service pack is disturbing
MowGreen contributed this via

> Anne Onime wrote:
>> I installed XP last weekend, and then getting the updates
>> bit by bit during my provider's off-peak hours.
>> So latest was the .NET update (KB951847)
>> I download it, but when it came to the install phase, it
>> shows no progress for several minutes. This is on a
>> 3.8 GHz with 4 GB DDR2 and SATA2. I really thought it was
>> froze.
>> Surely Microsoft developers must test these service packs
>> and observe that it seems to hang, and perhaps put in
>> a warning, so end users do not panic?
>>

> Word of Warning - be aware that there are .NET updates included with
> next week patch release. In fact, next Tuesday is starting to look like
> the " Patch Tuesday Perfect Storm ".
>
> Admins, beware !
> Home Users ... hide the women and children ! Back up your data *NOW* !
>
> " This month has 10 bulletins being addressed and this is how they break
> down:
>
> Three are Critical severity
> Seven are Important severity
> Seven relate to Windows
> Three relate to Office
> One involves Internet Explorer
> One involves Windows Server Software (SharePoint) "
> http://www.windowsobserver.com/2010/06/04
> /june-2010-patch-tuesday-advance-security-bulletin-notice-released/
>

> MowGreen
> ================
> *-343-* FDNY
> Never Forgotten
> ================
>
> banthecheck.com
> "Security updates should *never* have *non-security content*
> *non-security content* prechecked

Thanks for the "heads-up"!

My 2˘: Back up your systems prior to initiating the
Microsoft Windows update process! And never, NEVER,
*NEVER* allow it to automatically update; rather, select
the option to notify you; then, make a decision on whether
to update via the SysTray Icon or simply visit the site
[from your Start menu link] and review the manifests as
well as any Optional updates which may be available.

(A complete image of your [default] C: drive takes about
20-minutes to backup on WinXP[latest], and about 15-minutes
to restore. That's a *lot* less time sometimes than trying
to get any intelligent responses from certain forums which
seem to be abandoned by anyone taking responsibility for
publishing incompetent updates or incomplete information
to accompany said updates.)

HTH.

--

I AM Bucky Breeder, (*(^; and I'm not talking to the aliens

Bucky Breeder

Re: .NET service pack is disturbing
PA Bear [MS MVP] <http://tinyurl.com/2bout62>
loaded its generic-recycled-geriatric-diapers and said:

> <worthless babble SNIPPED>

This one ^^^

1) should take its medicine as prescribed;
2) either read the query or STFU; and,
3) should change its provocative nym
to something less/more ghaa-hay-tarded

HTH.

HEY MICROSOFT : MISSING ANY 'MS MVP' CERTS?
FOUND THE PERPETRATOR WHO STOLE IT!
PHOTOSHOPPED IT? PRINTED IT WITH CRAYONS?

whatever