IE8 Compatibility View List KB982632

Bucky Breeder

IE8 Compatibility View List KB982632

Earlier this AM, checked Microsoft Updates, bon per adventure.

2 were available :

Update for Root Certificates [May 2010] (KB931125)

D/L'ed and installed OK...

Update for Internet Explorer 8 Compatibility View List for Windows XP
(KB982632)

Installation Failure ; Error Code: 0x8007F0DA

Already followed http://support.microsoft.com/kb/958050 - no joy.

Just got a systray notify, and successfully updated Silverlight...
Update for Microsoft Silverlight (KB982926) successful and fast,
but the above KB931125 failed yet again...

Could something be wrong with the available update file from
Microsoft which is ostensibly downloaded, but the install fails?

Can I delete what's there and try to force a reinstall, or can I
download the executable and just do it here?

TIA.

--

I AM Bucky Breeder, (*(^; and I'm not talking to the aliens

Re: IE8 Compatibility View List KB982632
Running WinXP SP2 or SP3?

> ...but the above KB931125 failed yet again

Did you mean KB982632?

it)?

Did you ever/recently have occasion to do a Repair Install of WinXP for some
reason?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Download details: Update for Internet Explorer 8 Compatibility View List for
Windows XP (KB982632):
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...7-d6dd38a57349

Bucky Breeder wrote:
> IE8 Compatibility View List KB982632
>
> Earlier this AM, checked Microsoft Updates, bon per adventure.
>
> 2 were available :
>
> Update for Root Certificates [May 2010] (KB931125)
>
> D/L'ed and installed OK...
>
> Update for Internet Explorer 8 Compatibility View List for Windows XP
> (KB982632)
>
> Installation Failure ; Error Code: 0x8007F0DA
>
> Already followed http://support.microsoft.com/kb/958050 - no joy.
>
> Just got a systray notify, and successfully updated Silverlight...
> Update for Microsoft Silverlight (KB982926) successful and fast,
> but the above KB931125 failed yet again...
>
> Could something be wrong with the available update file from
> Microsoft which is ostensibly downloaded, but the install fails?
>
> Can I delete what's there and try to force a reinstall, or can I
> download the executable and just do it here?
>
> TIA.

Bucky Breeder

Re: IE8 Compatibility View List KB982632
PA Bear [MS MVP] <http://tinyurl.com/2bout62>

> Running WinXP SP2 or SP3?
>
>> ...but the above [KB982632] failed yet again

> Did you mean KB982632?

Yeah... good catch, congratulations on that... and it
looks *so* much more academic when it's pulled out of
context and top-posted... way to go... yer mama must be very

> Defender)? What third-party firewall (if any)? Were any of these
> applications running in the background when you installed IE8?

IE8 has been installed since it came out of the Microsoft oven...
in fact, the previous Update for Internet Explorer 8 Compatibility
View List for Windows XP (KB980302) [Download size: 495 KB , less
than 1 minute] went just fine 11:03 AM 3/30/2010.

> computer (e.g., a free-trial version that came preinstalled when you
> bought it)?
>
> Did you ever/recently have occasion to do a Repair Install of WinXP for
> some reason?

You're kidding right?... No to all! No other problems with
any of the other updates; within the context of the OP... but yet...

> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>
> Download details: Update for Internet Explorer 8 Compatibility View List
> for Windows XP (KB982632):
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...=en&FamilyID=3
> 35c7e59-fdd6-41b9-b637-d6dd38a57349

Thanks for that. Note that you really has to bang around the
search boxes to get to that direct download sans someone providing
the link... but, relevant to the issue at hand, I downloaded the bugger;
[to my hard drive, if you're the type that needs to ask]; it extracts
just fine; and get the same error dialog when it attempts
to install -- same error message...

>> Installation Failure ; Error Code: 0x8007F0DA

It's NOT applicable because : 1) ALL the other updates install just fine
and are verifiable/researchable via the Microsoft Update History tab; and,
2) Using the http://support.microsoft.com/kb/958050 provided link, all
that stuff is spot-on-intact--A-OK--good-to-go--where-it's-'posed-to-be...

The error, I suspect, is either in the file itself being corrupted at the
Microsoft site; or since this machine is WinXP[PRO]MCE with SP3 and all
operations otherwise being normal and stable, it could be unique to MCE -
since nobody else is squawking, or seemingly so...

They're touting it as "493 KB" but it's only 492 KB here; 504,184 bytes;
and there's no MD5 or CRC, typically.

So, hopefully, all your arcane, fringe, remote areas of inquiry can be
considered to be responded to in the negative - and all the other updates;
before, during, and after the IE8 update error have progressed just fine...

I brush my teeth regularly, the maid cleaned yesterday, the landscapers
keep teh yards tidy, and this particular item is the only aberrant
operation in the midst of an otherwise tidy and orderly world.

Bucky Breeder wrote:
>> Running WinXP SP2 or SP3?
>>
>>> ...but the above [KB982632] failed yet again

>> Did you mean KB982632?

> Yeah... good catch, congratulations on that... and it
> looks *so* much more academic when it's pulled out of
> context and top-posted... way to go... yer mama must be very [sic]

<SNIP>

<plonk>
BVcky Breeder

Re: IE8 Compatibility View List KB982632
PA Bear [MS MVP] <http://tinyurl.com/2bout62>
loaded his geriatric diapers and splatterfarted this one:

> Bucky Breeder wrote:
>>> Running WinXP SP2 or SP3?

>>> Did you mean KB982632?

>> Yeah... good catch, congratulations on that... and it
>> looks *so* much more academic when it's pulled out of
>> context and top-posted... way to go... yer mama must be very [sic]

> <SNIP>
>
> <plonk>

Oh great... no more st00pid qwestuns from the pee-pee-pants gallery?

> IE8 Compatibility View List KB982632
>
> Earlier this AM, checked Microsoft Updates, bon per adventure.
>
> 2 were available :
>
> Update for Root Certificates [May 2010] (KB931125)
>
> D/L'ed and installed OK...
>
> Update for Internet Explorer 8 Compatibility View List for Windows XP
> (KB982632)
>
> Installation Failure ; Error Code: 0x8007F0DA
>
> Already followed http://support.microsoft.com/kb/958050 - no joy.
>
> [...]

Got it resolved! And easily too.

--

I AM Bucky Breeder, (*(^; ; and *NO*, "that"
is NOT a Jedi Light-Sabre in my pocket; and