Windows Updated won't run from Internet Explorer >Trojan.Fraudpack

Compliment

Windows Updated won't run from Internet Explorer >Trojan.Fraudpack
My M-I-L's computer (XP Service Pack 3, Media Center) acquired
Trojan.Fraudpack and we've run MalwareBytes, MSRT, CCleaner, restored to an
earlier date, deleted pre-fetch files, etc. but when she tries to run Windows
Update from IE8, she gets the "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage /
What you can try / Diagnosis Problem... She can get to any other Microsoft
webpage we've tried. I've ensured the URL produced from the Tools/Windoes
Update is correct. I have a strong hutch that it's a registry setting. I'm
frustrated and just about Googled...I mean, Bing'd out.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Re: Windows Updated won't run from Internet Explorer >Trojan.Fraudpack
You've got MUCH more work to do!

Microsoft PCSafety provides home users (only) with no-charge support in
dealing with malware infections such as viruses, spyware (including unwanted
software), and adware.
https://support.microsoft.com/oas/de...prid=7552&st=1

Also available via the Consumer Security Support home page:

Otherwise...

2a. WinXP => Run the Windows Live Safety Center's 'Protection' scan (only!)
in Safe Mode with Networking, if need be:

2b. Vista or Win7=> Run this scan instead:
http://onecare.live.com/site/en-us/center/whatsnew.htm

3. Now post the requested logs in an appropriate forum for assistance by an
expert in such matters. DO NOT SKIP THIS STEP!!

I can recommend the expert assistance offered in these forums:
http://www.bluetack.co.uk/forums/index.php, and
http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30