[Error number: 0x8DDD0004] when using Microsoft Update from Win7

Yetiman

[Error number: 0x8DDD0004] when using Microsoft Update from Win7

I got a new HP notebook Elitebook 8540p with Windows 7 Professional
preinstalled.

When trying to run Windows Update everything works ok.

When I try to run Microsoft Update (http://update.microsoft.com) in order to
update all the other Microsoft programs like Office etc I get [Error number:
0x8DDD0004].

Strange thing is that the first add-on ('Windows Update' from 'Microsoft
Windows Component Publisher') shows as unknown program from unknown
publisher... I would expect it is signed as coming from Microsoft???

As per instruction from Microsoft I followed Article ID 914224 as this shall
be also applicable for Windows 7 (even if there were lots of error messages
when registering the DLLs and the services have different names) but I
figured out how to rename the SoftwareDistribution folder... however without
success.

Also a Chkdsk, SFC and a CleanBoot (as instructed by Microsoft) did not help.

Latest suggestion from Microsoft was an Inplace Upgrade or a fresh install.
However I did not get any feedback yet if and how that will effect my
installed programs.

Does anybody has an idea what to do?

I dont see any infos on Microsoft Update under Windows 7 in the newsgroups,
however I have seen somewhere that Microsoft Update is NOT working under
Vista... Does Microsoft Update really work with Windows 7 as well?

Any idea on the effect of an Inplace Upgrade to my installed programs?

Or is it the best to drop Windows 7 for now and use the (in the notebook
shipment probably for a good reason included) XP Pro / SP3 downgrade and wait
until Windows 7 SP2 comes out (as instructed by most of my friends)?

Re: [Error number: 0x8DDD0004] when using Microsoft Update from Win7
What third-party firewall (if any)?

it)?

See Tip #1 at the bottom of this page:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...-is-up-to-date

Once you've checked the "Give me updates for Microsoft products and check
for new optional Microsoft software when I update Windows" box, updates for
Windows, Office, Windows Live, Silverlight, etc. should be offered when you
run a manual check for updates as well as by Automatic Updating.

You'll find support for Win7 in these forums:
http://social.answers.microsoft.com/...egory/windows7

NB: The Windows Update forum is NOT a Win7-specific forum; it handles WinXP,
Vista & Win7.

Yetiman wrote:
> I got a new HP notebook Elitebook 8540p with Windows 7 Professional
> preinstalled.
>
> When trying to run Windows Update everything works ok.
>
> When I try to run Microsoft Update (http://update.microsoft.com) in order
> update all the other Microsoft programs like Office etc I get [Error
> number:
> 0x8DDD0004].
>
> Strange thing is that the first add-on ('Windows Update' from 'Microsoft
> Windows Component Publisher') shows as unknown program from unknown
> publisher... I would expect it is signed as coming from Microsoft???
>
> As per instruction from Microsoft I followed Article ID 914224 as this
> shall
> be also applicable for Windows 7 (even if there were lots of error
> messages
> when registering the DLLs and the services have different names) but I
> figured out how to rename the SoftwareDistribution folder... however
> without
> success.
>
> Also a Chkdsk, SFC and a CleanBoot (as instructed by Microsoft) did not
> help.
>
> Latest suggestion from Microsoft was an Inplace Upgrade or a fresh
> install.
> However I did not get any feedback yet if and how that will effect my
> installed programs.
>
> Does anybody has an idea what to do?
>
> I dont see any infos on Microsoft Update under Windows 7 in the
> newsgroups,
> however I have seen somewhere that Microsoft Update is NOT working under
> Vista... Does Microsoft Update really work with Windows 7 as well?
>
> Any idea on the effect of an Inplace Upgrade to my installed programs?
>
> Or is it the best to drop Windows 7 for now and use the (in the notebook
> shipment probably for a good reason included) XP Pro / SP3 downgrade and
> wait until Windows 7 SP2 comes out (as instructed by most of my friends)?

MowGreen

From: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/914224
That KB article is not very helpful for Windows 7 as the title states
it's for XP. Sometimes the KBs pertain to Win 7, sometimes they don't.
As to why ... you'll have to ask Microsoft -

Error that you see in the upper-right corner when you visit the Windows
Update Web site on a Windows XP-based computer: "[Error number:
0x8DDD0004]"

Now, this KB article when viewed in IE8 on Win7 has a System Tip towards
the top that states it applies to a different version of Windows blah,
blah, blah, BUT, it's use is being recommended by MS Support Engineers
in the new social.answers.forums. Go figure:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058

First, suggest you configure the system to Clean boot:

How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows
Vista or in Windows 7
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

IF a 3rd party firewall was being used previously then open Windows
Firewall in the Control Panel to ensure that it's now On.
*Prior* to running the Fixit, see if the system can search for and
detect needed updates now. If it can, then 3rd party software was
interfering with the system's communication with the update servers.

If it can not, * while still in the Clean boot state *, download and
*save* the Fixit from here:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058

Once the Fixit is downloaded, close all open browsers.
Now run MicrosoftFixit50502.msi and choose the Default mode.
Restart when it's done and see if the system can update now.
See if the system can search for, detect, and download updates now.

If no joy, run it again and choose the Aggressive mode. Restart when
it's finished, check to see if the system can update now.

What you're trying to accomplish by doing the above is

1) Ensure that the latest version of the updating components are
installed ( by running the Fixit )
2) Ensure that no 3rd party software is interfering with the
installation/registration of the updating components or the update
process itself (Clean boot)

MowGreen
================
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
================

banthecheck.com

Yetiman wrote:

> I got a new HP notebook Elitebook 8540p with Windows 7 Professional
> preinstalled.
>
> When trying to run Windows Update everything works ok.
>
> When I try to run Microsoft Update (http://update.microsoft.com) in order to
> update all the other Microsoft programs like Office etc I get [Error number:
> 0x8DDD0004].
>
> Strange thing is that the first add-on ('Windows Update' from 'Microsoft
> Windows Component Publisher') shows as unknown program from unknown
> publisher... I would expect it is signed as coming from Microsoft???
>
> As per instruction from Microsoft I followed Article ID 914224 as this shall
> be also applicable for Windows 7 (even if there were lots of error messages
> when registering the DLLs and the services have different names) but I
> figured out how to rename the SoftwareDistribution folder... however without
> success.
>
> Also a Chkdsk, SFC and a CleanBoot (as instructed by Microsoft) did not help.
>
> Latest suggestion from Microsoft was an Inplace Upgrade or a fresh install.
> However I did not get any feedback yet if and how that will effect my
> installed programs.
>
> Does anybody has an idea what to do?
>
> I dont see any infos on Microsoft Update under Windows 7 in the newsgroups,
> however I have seen somewhere that Microsoft Update is NOT working under
> Vista... Does Microsoft Update really work with Windows 7 as well?
>
> Any idea on the effect of an Inplace Upgrade to my installed programs?
>
> Or is it the best to drop Windows 7 for now and use the (in the notebook
> shipment probably for a good reason included) XP Pro / SP3 downgrade and wait
> until Windows 7 SP2 comes out (as instructed by most of my friends)?

Harry Johnston [MVP]

On 2010-06-03 4:10 a.m., Yetiman wrote:

> I got a new HP notebook Elitebook 8540p with Windows 7 Professional
> preinstalled.
>
> When trying to run Windows Update everything works ok.
>
> When I try to run Microsoft Update (http://update.microsoft.com) in order to
> update all the other Microsoft programs like Office etc I get [Error number:
> 0x8DDD0004].

Have you tried using the Windows Update control panel to install Microsoft
Update, as opposed to visiting the web site?

Harry.

--
Harry Johnston
http://harryjohnston.wordpress.com