Boxed Peanut Butter wrote:
> Microsoft Update takes 5 to 15 times longer, consumes 100% CPU, uses three
> times the amount of RAM, and chugs the hard drive way more than Windows
> I read that I can turn off checking for certain types of updates (including
> Office) but this is a computer I am giving/loaning to someone so I would
> rather not. This issue should be fixed at the source.
1) a. What is amount of free space left on the HD ?
b. How much space is being wasted in the Temp folders of each User's
account ? ( Start > Run >type in %temp% , press Enter from each User
account or investigate with Windows Explorer > show hidden files )
2) Is the latest version of the Windows Update Agent installed ?
3) What is the installed antivirus/security suite; is a 3rd party
firewall being used ?
4) Has a * registry cleaner * been used ?
5) Which version of Office ? BTW, you can NOT turn off checking for
Office Updates on the MU site or via the MU automatic update servers.
If the system does not have Office installed, suggest you just use WU
until the day MS forces the switch to MU.
"Security updates should *never* have *non-security content* prechecked