SP3 xp failed to install catalog files during update

jim

SP3 xp failed to install catalog files during update
i have a fresh install of xp home with linksys wireless drivers, nvidia
drivers, avg free and essential ms updates installed up to service pack 3 and
nothing else installed. it downloaded the sp3 and started the install
procedure the progress bar makes it to about a 3rd of the way through then
gives me a message that it failed to install catalogue files there is no
error code that went with the message. has anybody seen this happen yet? is
there anything i can do?
MowGreen

Re: SP3 xp failed to install catalog files during update
NOTE: *** IF Internet Explorer 7 or 8 are installed, UNinstall it now
before applying SP3. Reinstall it afterwards. ***

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950717

Windows XP SP3 - Read all prerequisites for a successful installation

How to troubleshoot an unsuccessful installation of Windows XP Service
Pack 3
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950718

Suggestion: Download the full standalone SP3 package and SAVE it.
Create a folder on the root drive (the drive where Windows is installed
to, usually, C:\).
Move SP3 to the newly created folder.
Configure the system to Clean boot:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310353

*Disconnect* the system from it's network/internet connection.
Apply SP3. Restart; restart.
UNdo the Clean boot steps. Restart.

MowGreen
================
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
================

banthecheck.com

jim wrote:
> i have a fresh install of xp home with linksys wireless drivers, nvidia
> drivers, avg free and essential ms updates installed up to service pack 3 and
> nothing else installed. it downloaded the sp3 and started the install
> procedure the progress bar makes it to about a 3rd of the way through then
> gives me a message that it failed to install catalogue files there is no
> error code that went with the message. has anybody seen this happen yet? is
> there anything i can do?

Re: SP3 xp failed to install catalog files during update
HOW TO do a clean install of WinXP: See
http://michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html#steps and/or Method 1 in
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/978307

After the clean install, you will have the equivalent of a "new computer" so
take care of everything on the following page before otherwise connecting
the machine to the internet or a local network (i.e., other computers) and
before using a flash drive or SDCard that isn't brand-new or hasn't been
freshly formatted:

4 steps to help protect your new computer before you go online
http://www.microsoft.com/security/pypc.aspx

Other helpful references include:

HOW TO get a computer running WinXP Gold (no Service Packs) fully patched
(after a clean install)
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...5afa8ed33e121c

HOW TO get a computer running WinXP SP1(a) or SP2 fully patched (after a
clean install)
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...66ae41add7dd2b

Tip: After getting the computer fully-patched, download/install KB971029
manually: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971029

NB: Any Norton or McAfee free-trial that came preinstalled on the computer
when you bought it will be reinstalled (but invalid) when Windows is
reinstalled. You MUST uninstall the free-trial and download/run the
appropriate removal tool before installing any updates, Windows Service
Packs or IE upgrades and before installing your new anti-virus application
(which will require WinXP SP3 to be installed).

Norton Removal Tool
ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/englis...moval_Tool.exe

McAfee Consumer Products Removal Tool
http://download.mcafee.com/products/...tches/MCPR.exe