Register at MS Update Center

Ojai Jim

Register at MS Update Center
Running Win 2000, service pack 4.
I go to the update center and receive this message:
* Files required to use Microsoft Update are no longer registered or
installed on your computer. To continue:
*Register or reinstall the files for me now (Recommended) (Tried this)
Let me read about more steps that might be required to solve the problem

The next message after MS trys to install the updatis:
* [Error number: 0x8024D007]
The website has encountered a problem and cannot display the page you are
trying to view. The options provided below might help you solve the problem.
For self-help options:
Frequently Asked Questions
Find Solutions
Windows Update Newsgroup: (I'm here now)
For assisted support options:
Microsoft Online Assisted Support (no-cost for Windows Update issues (will
try next if I don't receive a solution here.

MowGreen

Re: Register at MS Update Center
Error message when you try to use the Windows Update or Microsoft Update
Web sites to install updates: "0x8024D007"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/956701

> The current version of Windows Update is not installed and registered correctly.

Download and *save* the Windows Update Agent (WUA) by clicking the
Download link under:

" Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008, Windows XP, Windows Server 2003,
and Windows 2000 Service Pack 4
The following files are available for download from the Microsoft
Download Center:

For an x86-based computer
Download the windowsupdateagent30-x86.exe package now.<--this link "

Disconnect the system from it's network/internet connection for now.
Configure the system to Clean boot:

How to perform clean-boot troubleshooting for Windows 2000
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/281770

Run windowsupdateagent30-x86.exe. Restart when it's finished.

DO NOT reconnect the system to the network/internet unless there is a
firewall running *** outside *** of the OS as it will NOT be running a
software firewall in the Clean boot state.

IF there is such a firewall available, then reconnect the system and see
if it can access Windows Update now.

Otherwise, UNdo the Clean boot config steps, restart, reconnect, and see
if the system can access WU now.

If no joy, there *may* be an issue with malware occurring here.

MowGreen
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten

banthecheck.com