Error code 646

ME ME

Error code 646
I get this error code 646 as I see everyone else does. I have searched these
posts and find no helpful answer. Actually, I find NO answer. I get 15
critical updates and only 1 will install. Tried turning off firewall. NOT

SO?????

Re: Error code 646
Tip: Insert your Office CD into the appropriate drive bay before the next
installation attempt.

Tip: If no joy, see if you can download the "fullfile" version of the
update(s) via http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/ or
http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/ and then install it/them manually.

ME ME wrote:
> I get this error code 646 as I see everyone else does. I have searched
> these posts and find no helpful answer. Actually, I find NO answer. I get
> 15
> critical updates and only 1 will install. Tried turning off firewall. NOT
>
> SO?????

MowGreen

Re: Error code 646
PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
> Tip: Insert your Office CD into the appropriate drive bay before the
>
> Tip: If no joy, see if you can download the "fullfile" version of the
> update(s) via http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/ or
> http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/ and then install it/them manually.

Tip: If this is occurring in Windows Vista, disable User Account Control
(UAC), install the updates, reenable UAC.

MowGreen
================
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
================

banthecheck.com

Re: Error code 646
DOH!

MowGreen wrote:
> PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
>> Tip: Insert your Office CD into the appropriate drive bay before the
>>
>> Tip: If no joy, see if you can download the "fullfile" version of the
>> update(s) via http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/ or
>> http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/ and then install it/them manually.
>>

> Tip: If this is occurring in Windows Vista, disable User Account Control
> (UAC), install the updates, reenable UAC.
>

> MowGreen
> ================
> *-343-* FDNY
> Never Forgotten
> ================
>
> banthecheck.com
> "Security updates should *never* have *non-security content* prechecked

MowGreen

Re: Error code 646
The 4th tip is DOH ? What does DOH signify ... Dust Our House, then
apply update ? I hear Sinofsky wants that 'feature' in Office 15. <g>

MowGreen
================
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
================

banthecheck.com

PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
> DOH!
>
> MowGreen wrote:
>> PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
>>> Tip: Insert your Office CD into the appropriate drive bay before the
>>>
>>> Tip: If no joy, see if you can download the "fullfile" version of the
>>> update(s) via http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/ or
>>> http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/ and then install it/them manually.
>>>

>> Tip: If this is occurring in Windows Vista, disable User Account Control
>> (UAC), install the updates, reenable UAC.
>>

>> MowGreen
>> ================
>> *-343-* FDNY
>> Never Forgotten
>> ================
>>
>> banthecheck.com
>> "Security updates should *never* have *non-security content* prechecked

Re: Error code 646
[Dust my house, fer cryin' out loud! No, wait, don't: Then I won't know
where they ashtrays go.]

Were you advising disabling UAC prior to attempting to install all Office
updates or just when attempting to install them manually using the
downloaded installer? I should hope you mean the latter.

MowGreen wrote:
> The 4th tip is DOH ? What does DOH signify ... Dust Our House, then
> apply update ? I hear Sinofsky wants that 'feature' in Office 15. <g>
>
> PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
>> DOH!
>>
>> MowGreen wrote:
>>> Tip: If this is occurring in Windows Vista, disable User Account Control
>>> (UAC), install the updates, reenable UAC.

<snipperooni>

tnb2005

Re: Error code 646
I also was unable to complete the update, getting error code 646. The
downloads to my computer are completed when I shut down for the evening.
Tonight I went to Windows Update (from the start menu) selected the updates
and the download was successful. I don't know if it was a fluke that it
worked, but this time it did.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> [Dust my house, fer cryin' out loud! No, wait, don't: Then I won't know
> where they ashtrays go.]
>
> Were you advising disabling UAC prior to attempting to install all Office
> updates or just when attempting to install them manually using the
> downloaded installer? I should hope you mean the latter.
>

> MowGreen wrote:
> > The 4th tip is DOH ? What does DOH signify ... Dust Our House, then
> > apply update ? I hear Sinofsky wants that 'feature' in Office 15. <g>
> >
> > PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
> >> DOH!

> <snipperooni>
>
> .

Re: Error code 646
["Another county heard from..."]

tnb2005 wrote:
> I also was unable to complete the update, getting error code 646. The
> downloads to my computer are completed when I shut down for the evening.
> Tonight I went to Windows Update (from the start menu) selected the
> updates
> and the download was successful. I don't know if it was a fluke that it
> worked, but this time it did.
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
>> [Dust my house, fer cryin' out loud! No, wait, don't: Then I won't know
>> where they ashtrays go.]
>>
>> Were you advising disabling UAC prior to attempting to install all Office
>> updates or just when attempting to install them manually using the
>> downloaded installer? I should hope you mean the latter.
>>

>> MowGreen wrote:
>>> The 4th tip is DOH ? What does DOH signify ... Dust Our House, then
>>> apply update ? I hear Sinofsky wants that 'feature' in Office 15. <g>

>> .

MowGreen

Re: Error code 646
PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:

> Were you advising disabling UAC prior to attempting to install all
> Office updates or just when attempting to install them manually using
> the downloaded installer? I should hope you mean the latter.

For the automatically downloaded updates. If no joy, do the full file
dance with UAC temp off. No joy ? If it's a Security update, call in.
BTW ...

> I also was unable to complete the update, getting error code 646. The
> downloads to my computer are completed when I shut down for the evening.
> Tonight I went to Windows Update (from the start menu) selected the updates
> and the download was successful. I don't know if it was a fluke that it
> worked, but this time it did.

Has the 646 error *finally* been fixed by the Office PG ? Be still my
beating ______ .

MowGreen
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten