Error Code 0x80070001

Linda

Error Code 0x80070001
I had a virus on my computer (Windows XP). I performed a Full System
Recovery. I reloaded MS Office 2003. I had NOrton AV already installed. I
have been trying to reinstall NAV, but it tells me that I need to download
WinXP SP2. I have WinXP SP1 (yes my computer is old) I tried downloading
SP2, but I keep getting error codes, i.e., the one listed above and
0x87ff0004.

It also tells me that it can't copy the file - printuit or something like
that.
Please help if you can

Re: Error Code 0x80070001
Back-up any personal data (none of which should be considered 100%
trustworthy at this point) then format the HDD & do a clean install of
Windows. Please note that a Repair Install (AKA in-place upgrade) will NOT
fix this!

HOW TO do a clean install of WinXP: See
http://michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html#steps and/or Method 1 in
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/978307

After the clean install, you will have the equivalent of a "new computer" so
take care of everything on the following page before otherwise connecting
the machine to the internet or a local network (i.e., other computers) and
before using a flash drive or SDCard that isn't brand-new or hasn't been
freshly formatted:

4 steps to help protect your new computer before you go online
http://www.microsoft.com/security/pypc.aspx

Other helpful references include:

HOW TO get a computer running WinXP Gold (no Service Packs) fully patched
(after a clean install)
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...5afa8ed33e121c

HOW TO get a computer running WinXP SP1(a) or SP2 fully patched (after a
clean install)
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...66ae41add7dd2b

Tip: After getting the computer fully-patched, download/install KB971029
manually: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971029

NB: Any Norton or McAfee free-trial that came preinstalled on the computer
when you bought it will be reinstalled (but invalid) when Windows is
reinstalled. You MUST uninstall the free-trial and download/run the
appropriate removal tool before installing any updates, Windows Service
Packs or IE upgrades and before installing your new anti-virus application
(which will require WinXP SP3 to be installed).

Norton Removal Tool
ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/englis...moval_Tool.exe

McAfee Consumer Products Removal Tool
http://download.mcafee.com/products/...tches/MCPR.exe

Linda wrote:
> I had a virus on my computer (Windows XP). I performed a Full System
> Recovery. I reloaded MS Office 2003. I had NOrton AV already installed.
> have been trying to reinstall NAV, but it tells me that I need to download
> WinXP SP2. I have WinXP SP1 (yes my computer is old) I tried downloading
> SP2, but I keep getting error codes, i.e., the one listed above and
> 0x87ff0004.
>
> It also tells me that it can't copy the file - printuit or something like
> that.
> Please help if you can

MowGreen

Re: Error Code 0x80070001
Linda wrote:
> I had a virus on my computer (Windows XP). I performed a Full System
> Recovery. I reloaded MS Office 2003. I had NOrton AV already installed. I
> have been trying to reinstall NAV, but it tells me that I need to download
> WinXP SP2. I have WinXP SP1 (yes my computer is old) I tried downloading
> SP2, but I keep getting error codes, i.e., the one listed above and
> 0x87ff0004.
>
> It also tells me that it can't copy the file - printuit or something like
> that.
> Please help if you can

0x80070001 ERROR_INVALID_FUNCTION
Incorrect function.

0x87ff0004 Error_Too_Many_Open_Files

*CAUTION*: Ensure that the system is malware free before applying SP3
or you will be wasting your time.

Using Internet Explorer, have it scanned here *first* -

NO malware detected ? Good, then read on ...

0x87ff0004 is mentioned in this KB article -
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950717

0x87ff0004 on the above page links to here -
How to troubleshoot an unsuccessful installation of Windows XP Service
Pack 3
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950718

Solution: After downloading the full standalone SP3 package and *saving
it*, configure the system to Clean boot, and then apply SP3.

Windows XP Service Pack 3 Network Installation Package for IT
Professionals and Developers

How to configure Windows XP to start in a "clean boot" state
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310353

MowGreen
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten