SP3 or NOT SP3 ?

MN

SP3 or NOT SP3 ?
I have been running WinXP on my computer for quite a few years now and have
been doing automatic updates on a regular basis. In fact, after I installed
SP2, several years ago, I have over 200 such updates. (I printed out the
list that is an option on the Windows Update site.)

My question: Should I install SP3 now ? (from the SP3 installer .exe) If I
do, won't there be a conflict with some of my already installed auto
updates? What benefits will I get if I DO install SP3 now?

Please advise.

Jerry

Re: SP3 or NOT SP3 ?
SP3 will overwrite all updates froim before SP3. Any updates
applicable to SP3 will need to be applied. If you do not install SP3,
you will get no more updates after sometime in July so then your
computer will be at risk.

On Sun, 30 May 2010 17:22:47 -0400, "MN" <MN@Private.net> wrote:

>I have been running WinXP on my computer for quite a few years now and have
>been doing automatic updates on a regular basis. In fact, after I installed
>SP2, several years ago, I have over 200 such updates. (I printed out the
>list that is an option on the Windows Update site.)
>
>My question: Should I install SP3 now ? (from the SP3 installer .exe) If I
>do, won't there be a conflict with some of my already installed auto
>updates? What benefits will I get if I DO install SP3 now?
>
>Please advise.

MN

Re: SP3 or NOT SP3 ?
Jerry,
Thanx for your prompt response. I guess that after I install SP3, going
to the Windows Update site, I will be reinstalling several hundred updates
that I originally installed after April 2008 (the date of the SP3 release).
Is that correct?

================================================== =====================================
"Jerry" <jerrymkatz@NOSPAM.yahoo.com> wrote in message
> SP3 will overwrite all updates froim before SP3. Any updates
> applicable to SP3 will need to be applied. If you do not install SP3,
> you will get no more updates after sometime in July so then your
> computer will be at risk.
>

> On Sun, 30 May 2010 17:22:47 -0400, "MN" <MN@Private.net> wrote:
>
>>I have been running WinXP on my computer for quite a few years now and
>>have
>>been doing automatic updates on a regular basis. In fact, after I
>>installed
>>SP2, several years ago, I have over 200 such updates. (I printed out the
>>list that is an option on the Windows Update site.)
>>
>>My question: Should I install SP3 now ? (from the SP3 installer .exe) If
>>do, won't there be a conflict with some of my already installed auto
>>updates? What benefits will I get if I DO install SP3 now?
>>
>>Please advise.

Shenan Stanley

Re: SP3 or NOT SP3 ?
MN wrote:
> Jerry,
> Thanx for your prompt response. I guess that after I install
> SP3, going to the Windows Update site, I will be reinstalling
> several hundred updates that I originally installed after April
> 2008 (the date of the SP3 release). Is that correct?

no

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Re: SP3 or NOT SP3 ?
Support for WinXP (x86) SP2 ends on 13 July 2010. After that date, computers
running WinXP (x86) SP2 "will no longer receive software updates from
Windows Update" (i.e., Automatic Updates will not work and Windows Update
website will not be accessible) until SP3 has been manually installed.
Extended Support for WinXP SP3 will continue through 08 April 2014.

• What does it mean if my version of Windows is no longer supported?
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...f-support-mean

MN wrote:
> I have been running WinXP on my computer for quite a few years now and
> have
> been doing automatic updates on a regular basis. In fact, after I
> installed
> SP2, several years ago, I have over 200 such updates. (I printed out the
> list that is an option on the Windows Update site.)
>
> My question: Should I install SP3 now ? (from the SP3 installer .exe) If
> do, won't there be a conflict with some of my already installed auto
> updates? What benefits will I get if I DO install SP3 now?
>
> Please advise.

Harry Johnston [MVP]

Re: SP3 or NOT SP3 ?
On 2010-05-31 2:34 p.m., Shenan Stanley wrote:

>> Thanx for your prompt response. I guess that after I install
>> SP3, going to the Windows Update site, I will be reinstalling
>> several hundred updates that I originally installed after April
>> 2008 (the date of the SP3 release). Is that correct?

> no

To expand on that a little, for some years now Windows XP updates have included
technology that allows them to be automatically retained or reapplied (as
necessary) when a service pack is being installed. There may be a few updates
that only apply to SP3 and not SP2, so be sure to check Windows Update anyway,
but there shouldn't be a huge number.

Harry.

--
Harry Johnston