update.inf file missing

Grantcounty

update.inf file missing
My system has not been able to install MS Updates for some time. I have been
trying to solve the problem with the recommendations listed in this group. I
have run the bat files listed started and restarted the incryption service
with auto on. In the process I have discovered that my system does not have
the update.inf file. It isn't present even in a cab file. I will probablyh
have to run some process to build it. I have tried to have the auto update
installed but that won't happen because the site already sees it installed.

Question: what process installs update.inf? I am running XP with SP3. I have
also noticed that I cannot display my application, security, and system event
logs.
Thanks_Grantcounty
Shenan Stanley

Re: update.inf file missing
Grantcounty wrote:
> My system has not been able to install MS Updates for some time. I
> have been trying to solve the problem with the recommendations
> listed in this group. I have run the bat files listed started and
> restarted the incryption service with auto on. In the process I
> have discovered that my system does not have the update.inf file.
> It isn't present even in a cab file. I will probablyh have to run
> some process to build it. I have tried to have the auto update
> installed but that won't happen because the site already sees it
> installed.
>
> Question: what process installs update.inf? I am running XP with
> SP3. I have also noticed that I cannot display my application,
> security, and system event logs.

Sounds like you are/have been infested/infected with some horrible things
and/or you have some drive/file corruption going on.

What is your current backup situation? In particular, your (things you
created) documents (word, excel, powerpoint, open office, wordperfect, etc),
Internet Favorites/Bookmarks, emails, contacts, pictures/photos/images,
music/pother audio, installation files (executables), serial numbers and
product keys, databases, etc and so on? Best if you also have some sort of
full image of the drive on your computer, but if you have at least your
stuff, the rest can be rebuilt around that.

Here's my suggestion - it's a procedure, not a 'do this and try again, if
that doesn't work, do this and try again' - but a 'do this, this, this,
this, this and this and then try' thing. Long, easy, but time consuming.
If nothing else, you will end up with a cleaner system and a lot of possible
issues will be eliminated.

First - please verify the exact edition, version and architecture of
Windows XP you have:

Press and hold down the Windows key on your keyboard and then press the
"Pause/Break" key. Let go of both. This is equivalent in Windows XP to
having right-clicked on the "My Computer" icon and chosen "Properties"
from the menu that appears. When the new window appears - ensure you are
under the "General" tab. Is there *anything* in there to indicate you
have a 64-bit version of Windows XP, like the words, "Windows XP
Professional x64 Edition Version"?

Next we will get the edition and version information...

Start button --> RUN
(no "RUN"? Press the "Windows Key" + R on your keyboard)
--> type in:
winver
--> Click OK.

The picture at the top of the window that opens will give you the general
(Operating System name and edition) while the line starting with the word
"version" will give you the rest of the story. Post _both_ in response
to this message verbatim. No paraphrasing - instead - ensure
character-for-character copying.

What version of Internet Explorer are you currently using? Easy to find
out. Open Internet Explorer and while that is in-focus, press and hold
the "ALT" key on your keyboard. With the "ALT" key still pressed, press
(just once, no holding) the "H" key. Now, with the "ALT" key still
pressed, press (just once, no holding) the "A" key. That will bring up
the "About Internet Explorer" window. It will give you the exact version
you are using - repeat what you see there in response to this message.

Reboot so you start with a fresh machine. For everything here you will
need to logon as an user with administrative (installation) priviledges.

Fix your file/registry permissions...

Ignore the title and follow the sub-section under
"Advanced Troubleshooting" titled,
"Method 1: Reset the registry and the file permissions"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949377
*will take time
** Ignore the last step (6) - you'll said you have SP3 already...

You will likely see errors pass by if you watching, even count up. No
worries *at this time*.

*After* that is done, continue on to the next part where you clean off
some excess (unnecessary) files. It only removes those you definitely
do not need, if you follow the directions *as given* and do not deviate.
So reboot (for each of these steps, it is just best to reboot right
before - but I will continue to point that out) and logon as an user with
administrative priviledges.

Download/install the "Windows Installer CleanUp Utility":
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

After installing, do the following:

Start button --> RUN
(no "RUN"? Press the "Windows Key" + R on your keyboard)
--> type in:
"%ProgramFiles%\Windows Installer Clean Up\msizap.exe" g!
--> Click OK.
(The quotation marks and percentage signs and spacing should be exact.)

It will flash by *quick*, don't expect much out of this step to get
excited about. But the cleaner your machine is to start with, the
better your luck will be later (not really luck - more like preparedness,
but that's not as fun to think about, eh?)

Yeah - you will get tired of rebooting - but let's soldier on and reboot
again and logon as an user with administrative priviledges.

This time (and this is one of the more time-consuming steps) you will be
running (one at a time with reboots in-between each) three different
anti-spyware/anti-malware applications to ensure you come up clean.

Download, install, run, update and perform a full scan with the following
(freeware version):

SuperAntiSpyware
http://www.superantispyware.com/

Reboot and logon as administrative user.

Download, install, run, update and perform a full scan with the following
(freeware version):

MalwareBytes
http://www.malwarebytes.com/

Reboot and logon as administrative user.

Download and run the MSRT manually:

You may find nothing, you may find only cookies, you may think it is a
waste of time - but if you do all this and report back here with what you
do/don't find as you are doing all of it - you are adding more pieces to
the puzzle and the entire picture just may become clearer and your
problem resolved.

Reboot and logon as administrative user.

Reboot and logon as administrative user.

.... and save it to the root of your C:\ drive. After saving it to the
root of the C:\ drive, do the following:

Start button --> RUN and type in:
--> Click OK.

Reboot and logon as administrative user.

Visit this web page:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058

.... and click on the "Microsoft Fix it" icon. When asked, select "RUN",
both times. Check the "I agree" box and click on "Next". Check the box
for "Run aggressive options (not recommended)" and click "Next". Let
it finish up and follow the prompts until it is done. Close/exit and
reboot when it is.

You should now perform a full CHKDSK on your system drive (C...

How to scan your disks for errors
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315265
* will take time and a reboot

You should now perform a full Defragment on your system drive (C...

How to Defragment your hard drives
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314848
* will take time

Uninstall any and all third-party firewall applications (ZoneAlarm, etc)
and utilize the built-in WIndows Firewall only.

Reboot and logon as administrative user, open Internet Explorer
and visit http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/ and select to do a
CUSTOM scan...

Every time you are about to click on something while at these web pages -
release the CTRL key after clicking each time.

(deselect any others) and install it.

Reboot again.

time. Rebooting as needed.

against the "Windows Search" one and any of the "Office Live" ones or
"Windows Live" ones for now. I would completely avoid the
Optional Hardware updates. Also - I do not see any urgent need to
install Internet Explorer 8 at this time.

Seriously - do all that. This is like antibiotics - don't skip a single
step, don't quit because you think things will be okay now - go through
until the end, until you have done everything given in the order given. If
you have a problem with a step come ask and let someone here get you
through that step. If you don't understand how to do a step, come back
and ask here about that step and let someone walk you through it.

Then - when done - let everyone here know if it worked for you - or if
you have more issues.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Harry Johnston [MVP]

Re: update.inf file missing
On 2010-04-13 1:19 p.m., Grantcounty wrote:

> My system has not been able to install MS Updates for some time. I have been
> trying to solve the problem with the recommendations listed in this group. I
> have run the bat files listed started and restarted the incryption service
> with auto on. In the process I have discovered that my system does not have
> the update.inf file. It isn't present even in a cab file. I will probablyh
> have to run some process to build it. I have tried to have the auto update
> installed but that won't happen because the site already sees it installed.
>
> Question: what process installs update.inf? I am running XP with SP3. I have
> also noticed that I cannot display my application, security, and system event
> logs.

There is an update.inf included in most Windows XP updates. It isn't a system
file but part of the update, and is different for each update. Normally it will
be extracted temporarily while the update is installed and then deleted, i.e.,
it is perfectly normal that you do not have a copy on your system.

Harry.

--
Harry Johnston
http://harryjohnston.wordpress.com

Re: update.inf file missing
What third-party firewall (if any)?

it)?

How do I reset Windows Update components?:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058

(and/or 1-866-234-6020 and/or 1-800-936-5700) in the United States and in
Canada or by contacting your local Microsoft subsidiary. There is no-charge
for support calls that are associated with security updates. When you call,
clearly state that your problem is related to a Security Update and cite the
update's KB number (e.g., KB999999).

If your problem relates to a Cumulative Security Update for IE, call the
above number and ask to be transferred to the "Consumer IE queue" (which is
47830).

Or you can...

Customers who experience issues installing Microsoft security updates also
can visit the following pages for assistance:
http://support.microsoft.com/ph/6527#tab3

your usual support contacts.

Grantcounty wrote:
> My system has not been able to install MS Updates for some time. I have
> been
> trying to solve the problem with the recommendations listed in this group.
> have run the bat files listed started and restarted the incryption service
> with auto on. In the process I have discovered that my system does not
> have
> the update.inf file. It isn't present even in a cab file. I will probablyh
> have to run some process to build it. I have tried to have the auto update
> installed but that won't happen because the site already sees it
> installed.
>
> Question: what process installs update.inf? I am running XP with SP3. I
> have
> also noticed that I cannot display my application, security, and system
> event logs.
> Thanks_Grantcounty

Grantcounty

Re: update.inf file missing
Thank you all for the responses. The response from Shenan is requring a lot
of time, and I have some pressing tasks to take care of. I won't say that it
has anything to do with April 15. It will be a few days before I get back
with you, and I didn't want you to think that I just jumped in and out. I did
reset the Update area because I was prticularly interested in doing that. It
cleared the list of updates and only had the two I am trying to install:
kb978601 and kb979309 listed as failed. My previouse updates are still in the
"Add Remove Prog" list . It is looking more like I will reload the OS. But I
have one of those systems without a disk. Only a system recovery area on the
HD. I will advise one way or the other. Thanks again.