windows xp sp3 update cannot display this page

Budman

windows xp sp3 update cannot display this page
i cant update any computer in my house. for some reason when i try to update
it pulls up a second window(insted of active x bar) and stops and says
internet explorer cannot display this page. What am i doing wrong? I even
have an older computer here that for giggles I would try to get it updated
(xp no sp). and it does the same thing. I am confused.

Thanks
Ǝиçεl

RE: windows xp sp3 update cannot display this page
What browser (exact version) you are using.
-=-

Thank you

"Budman" wrote:

> i cant update any computer in my house. for some reason when i try to update
> it pulls up a second window(insted of active x bar) and stops and says
> internet explorer cannot display this page. What am i doing wrong? I even
> have an older computer here that for giggles I would try to get it updated
> (xp no sp). and it does the same thing. I am confused.
>
> Thanks

Budman

RE: windows xp sp3 update cannot display this page
ie8 version 8.0.6001.18702
also tried firefox same result

"Ǝиçεl" wrote:

> What browser (exact version) you are using.
> -=-
>

> Thank you
>

> "Budman" wrote:
>
> > i cant update any computer in my house. for some reason when i try to update
> > it pulls up a second window(insted of active x bar) and stops and says
> > internet explorer cannot display this page. What am i doing wrong? I even
> > have an older computer here that for giggles I would try to get it updated
> > (xp no sp). and it does the same thing. I am confused.
> >
> > Thanks

Ǝиçεl

RE: windows xp sp3 update cannot display this page

Repoяt problems and check for solutions automatically
<http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/fba7e7c3-2aec-46e4-9a32-968aa620f35b1033.mspx>

I don't know if this can in some way apply in your case, Doesn't hurt to try
the link
<http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/gp/pc_ie_v8intro>

I hope this post is helpful.

Let us know how it works ºut.
-=-

Ǝиçεl
©¿©¬
-=-
PS
If advise given from anyone, solves problem or not, or if solved from
another source, post back & let us know.
Then we all benefit.

"Budman" wrote:

> ie8 version 8.0.6001.18702
> also tried firefox same result
>
> "Ǝиçεl" wrote:
>
> > What browser (exact version) you are using.
> > -=-
> >

> > Thank you
> >

> > "Budman" wrote:
> >
> > > i cant update any computer in my house. for some reason when i try to update
> > > it pulls up a second window(insted of active x bar) and stops and says
> > > internet explorer cannot display this page. What am i doing wrong? I even
> > > have an older computer here that for giggles I would try to get it updated
> > > (xp no sp). and it does the same thing. I am confused.
> > >
> > > Thanks

Ǝиçεl

RE: windows xp sp3 update cannot display this page
Test this WGA diagnose test, connection to MS, that scripts working, etc. etc.
<http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/diag/>

Reboot
-=-

Also you can try Dial-a-fix.

<http://wiki.djlizard.net/Dial-a-fix>
Scroll down about 2/3 of the way to Download Dial-ª-fix
Click the Double green checkmark and click Go.

Reboot
-=-

See if the system can update now.

I hope this post is helpful.

Let us know how it woяks ºut.

Ǝиçεl
◕‿◕
-=-

"Budman" wrote:

> ie8 version 8.0.6001.18702
> also tried firefox same result
>
> "Ǝиçεl" wrote:
>
> > What browser (exact version) you are using.
> > -=-
> >

> > Thank you
> >

> > "Budman" wrote:
> >
> > > i cant update any computer in my house. for some reason when i try to update
> > > it pulls up a second window(insted of active x bar) and stops and says
> > > internet explorer cannot display this page. What am i doing wrong? I even
> > > have an older computer here that for giggles I would try to get it updated
> > > (xp no sp). and it does the same thing. I am confused.
> > >
> > > Thanks

Re: windows xp sp3 update cannot display this page
Is WinXP SP3 already installed on the computer-in-question?

it)?

>>> I even have an older computer here that for giggles I would try to get
>>> it updated (xp no sp). and it does the same thing.

That's a different story. You cannot access Windows Update website or
update via Automatic Updates unless WinXP SP2 is installed. Come 13 July,
WinXP SP3 will have to be installed.

Budman wrote:
> ie8 version 8.0.6001.18702
> also tried firefox same result
>
>> What browser (exact version) you are using.
>>
>>> i cant update any computer in my house. for some reason when i try to
>>> update it pulls up a second window(insted of active x bar) and stops and
>>> says internet explorer cannot display this page. What am i doing wrong?
>>> I even have an older computer here that for giggles I would try to get
>>> it
>>> updated (xp no sp). and it does the same thing. I am confused.

Budman

Re: windows xp sp3 update cannot display this page
on 3 computers sp3 is installed on one its just xp home 2002

using kaspersky internet securty 2010 and it is up to date

that is the only thing running in the background

2 of the computers have had the harddrives wiped clean so no there has not
been any other programs installed

is there someplace other then microsoft website to down load sp2 or sp3 so i
can update the older computer?

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Is WinXP SP3 already installed on the computer-in-question?

> What third-party firewall (if any)? Were any of these applications running
> in the background when you installed IE8?

> computer (e.g., a free-trial version that came preinstalled when you bought
> it)?

> That's a different story. You cannot access Windows Update website or
> update via Automatic Updates unless WinXP SP2 is installed. Come 13 July,
> WinXP SP3 will have to be installed.
>

> Budman wrote:
> > ie8 version 8.0.6001.18702
> > also tried firefox same result
> >
> >> What browser (exact version) you are using.

> .

Re: windows xp sp3 update cannot display this page
If "just xp home 2002" means WinXP Gold (no Service Packs installed),
there's no way in h*** that you've got Kaspersky Internet Security 2010 or
IE8 up & running on that computer!

I asked several questions that you've neglected to answer so I'll just leave
you with the following:

Support for WinXP (x86) SP2 ends on 13 July 2010. After that date, computers
running WinXP (x86) SP2 "will no longer receive software updates from
Windows Update" unless and until SP3 is installed.

Support for WinXP SP1 ended in October 2006.

Extended Support for Windows XP SP3 will continue through 08 April 2014.

What does it mean if my version of Windows is no longer supported?
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...f-support-mean

HOW TO get a computer running WinXP Gold (no Service Packs) fully patched
(after a clean install)
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...5afa8ed33e121c

HOW TO get a computer running WinXP SP1(a) or SP2 fully patched (after a
clean install)
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...66ae41add7dd2b

Budman wrote:
> on 3 computers sp3 is installed on one its just xp home 2002
>
> using kaspersky internet securty 2010 and it is up to date
>
> that is the only thing running in the background
>
> 2 of the computers have had the harddrives wiped clean so no there has not
> been any other programs installed
>
> is there someplace other then microsoft website to down load sp2 or sp3 so
> can update the older computer?
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Is WinXP SP3 already installed on the computer-in-question?

>> applications running in the background when you installed IE8?

>> bought
>> it)?

>> That's a different story. You cannot access Windows Update website or
>> update via Automatic Updates unless WinXP SP2 is installed. Come 13
>> July,
>> WinXP SP3 will have to be installed.
>>

>> Budman wrote:
>>> ie8 version 8.0.6001.18702
>>> also tried firefox same result

>> .

Budman

Re: windows xp sp3 update cannot display this page
i never said kasperski was running on the old computer there is no virus or
internet security running on that computer.

The sp3 machines all do the same thing when you click to goto windows
update, it seems that the page is blocked it just stops and says this page
can not be displayed

also when i can get to anything that could help ie defender or an antivirus
page it acts like the active x bar is going to pop up but a different window
pops up instead and say this page cannot be displayed.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> If "just xp home 2002" means WinXP Gold (no Service Packs installed),
> there's no way in h*** that you've got Kaspersky Internet Security 2010 or
> IE8 up & running on that computer!
>
> I asked several questions that you've neglected to answer so I'll just leave
> you with the following:
>
> Support for WinXP (x86) SP2 ends on 13 July 2010. After that date, computers
> running WinXP (x86) SP2 "will no longer receive software updates from
> Windows Update" unless and until SP3 is installed.
>
> Support for WinXP SP1 ended in October 2006.
>
> Extended Support for Windows XP SP3 will continue through 08 April 2014.
>
> What does it mean if my version of Windows is no longer supported?
> http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...f-support-mean
>
> HOW TO get a computer running WinXP Gold (no Service Packs) fully patched
> (after a clean install)
> http://groups.google.com/group/micro...5afa8ed33e121c
>
> HOW TO get a computer running WinXP SP1(a) or SP2 fully patched (after a
> clean install)
> http://groups.google.com/group/micro...66ae41add7dd2b
>

> Budman wrote:
> > on 3 computers sp3 is installed on one its just xp home 2002
> >
> > using kaspersky internet securty 2010 and it is up to date
> >
> > that is the only thing running in the background
> >
> > 2 of the computers have had the harddrives wiped clean so no there has not
> > been any other programs installed
> >
> > is there someplace other then microsoft website to down load sp2 or sp3 so
> > can update the older computer?
> >
> > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> Is WinXP SP3 already installed on the computer-in-question?
> >>
> >> What anti-virus application or security suite is installed and is your
> >> subscription current? What anti-spyware applications (other than
> >> Defender)? What third-party firewall (if any)? Were any of these
> >> applications running in the background when you installed IE8?
> >>
> >> Has a(another) Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on the
> >> computer (e.g., a free-trial version that came preinstalled when you
> >> bought
> >> it)?

> >> That's a different story. You cannot access Windows Update website or
> >> update via Automatic Updates unless WinXP SP2 is installed. Come 13
> >> July,
> >> WinXP SP3 will have to be installed.

> >> .

> .

Re: windows xp sp3 update cannot display this page
NB: The "xp home 2002" should not be connected to the internet or any local
networks (i.e., other computers)!

There is a very good chance that you are seeing the effects of a hijackware
infection!

Microsoft PCSafety provides home users (only) with no-charge support in
dealing with malware infections such as viruses, spyware (including unwanted
software), and adware.
https://support.microsoft.com/oas/de...prid=7552&st=1

Also available via the Consumer Security Support home page:

Otherwise...

2a. WinXP => Run the Windows Live Safety Center's 'Protection' scan (only!)
in Safe Mode with Networking, if need be:

2b. Vista or Win7=> Run this scan instead:
http://onecare.live.com/site/en-us/center/whatsnew.htm

3. Now run a thorough check for hijackware, including posting requested logs
in an appropriate forum, not here. DO NOT SKIP THIS STEP!!

Checking for/Help with Hijackware:
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

**Chances are you will need to seek expert assistance in
http://www.bluetack.co.uk/forums/index.php,
http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30 or other appropriate forums.**