Just wondering whether anyone had found a workaround for Conexantdrivers yet?

myfathersson

Just wondering whether anyone had found a workaround for Conexantdrivers yet?
Is there a newer version of the Conexant_Audio_6.14.10.0565 driver
which works yet? (II am using XP home). Sound worked until I installed
some Windows Update a year or more ago.

I have a dreaded Gateway MX6025 and after a certain time every
WindowsUpdate which I checked reports as a side effect that 'this
update will screw up Conexant drivers and your sound wont work' After
that every update I have tried to the Conexant or AC97 driver has
failed to cure this WindowsUpdate issue.

Gateway is disinterested in assisting with a driver which a Windows
Update has screwed up: Does anyone know if Microsoft has any
workaround yet please?

Re: Just wondering whether anyone had found a workaround for Conexant drivers yet?
Roll back the driver. Then get any /needed/ driver updates only from the
device or computer manufacturers' download page, NOT Windows Update.

myfathersson wrote:
> Is there a newer version of the Conexant_Audio_6.14.10.0565 driver
> which works yet? (II am using XP home). Sound worked until I installed
> some Windows Update a year or more ago.
>
> I have a dreaded Gateway MX6025 and after a certain time every
> WindowsUpdate which I checked reports as a side effect that 'this
> update will screw up Conexant drivers and your sound wont work' After
> that every update I have tried to the Conexant or AC97 driver has
> failed to cure this WindowsUpdate issue.
>
> Gateway is disinterested in assisting with a driver which a Windows
> Update has screwed up: Does anyone know if Microsoft has any
> workaround yet please?

myfathersson

On Apr 10, 2:14*pm, "PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABear...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Roll back the driver. *Then get any /needed/ driver updates only from the
> device or computer manufacturers' download page, NOT Windows Update.
>
> myfathersson wrote:
> > Is there a newer version of the Conexant_Audio_6.14.10.0565 driver
> > which works yet? (II am using XP home). Sound worked until I installed
> > some Windows Update a year or more ago.

> > I have a dreaded Gateway MX6025 and after a certain time every
> > WindowsUpdate which I checked reports as a side effect that 'this
> > update will screw up Conexant drivers and your sound wont work' *After
> > that every update I have tried to the Conexant or AC97 driver has
> > failed to cure this WindowsUpdate issue.

> > Gateway is disinterested in assisting with a driver which a Windows
> > Update has screwed up: Does anyone know if Microsoft has any
> > workaround yet please?

Conexant_Audio_6.14.10.0565 IS the driver on the manufacturer's site
which is screwed up by the WU

myfathersson wrote:
>>> Is there a newer version of the Conexant_Audio_6.14.10.0565 driver
>>> which works yet? (II am using XP home). Sound worked until I installed
>>> some Windows Update a year or more ago.

>>> I have a dreaded Gateway MX6025 and after a certain time every
>>> WindowsUpdate which I checked reports as a side effect that 'this
>>> update will screw up Conexant drivers and your sound wont work' After
>>> that every update I have tried to the Conexant or AC97 driver has
>>> failed to cure this WindowsUpdate issue.

>>> Gateway is disinterested in assisting with a driver which a Windows
>>> Update has screwed up: Does anyone know if Microsoft has any
>>> workaround yet please?

>> Roll back the driver. Then get any /needed/ driver updates only from the
>> device or computer manufacturers' download page, NOT Windows Update.

> Conexant_Audio_6.14.10.0565 IS the driver on the manufacturer's site
> which is screwed up by the WU

Then roll back the driver and don't install the updated version again.
myfathersson

On Apr 11, 9:16*pm, "PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABear...@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> Roll back the driver. Then get any /needed/ driver updates only from the
> >> device or computer manufacturers' download page, NOT Windows Update.

> > Conexant_Audio_6.14.10.0565 IS the driver on the manufacturer's site
> > which is screwed up by the WU

> Then roll back the driver and don't install the updated version again.

I kinda know not to install a driver which doesnt work or which causes
an exclamation mark in Device Manager. Trouble is that there is
nothing to roll back to: This is the 2006 driver which came with the
original software. Gateway has the updated one to make users feel they
are doing somehthing but apparently they wont believe that the new
driver wont work and if you insist on telling them, they just refer
you to Conexant BECAUSE THEY KNOW that Conexant doesnt have any
customer support. The original driver was a Conexant one called an
AC97 which is screwed up by some Microsoft security update. This is
why Gateway wont help. WU screwed up the sound. Apparently it WAS
possible to get sound to work with some driver or other but even that
one was screwed up by the next Security update which also said 'there
is a problem with this update and Conexant sound drivers'

myfathersson wrote:

>>> Conexant_Audio_6.14.10.0565 IS the driver on the manufacturer's site
>>> which is screwed up by the WU

>> Then roll back the driver and don't install the updated version again.

> I kinda know not to install a driver which doesnt work or which causes
> an exclamation mark in Device Manager. Trouble is that there is
> nothing to roll back to: This is the 2006 driver which came with the
> original software. Gateway has the updated one to make users feel they
> are doing somehthing but apparently they wont believe that the new
> driver wont work and if you insist on telling them, they just refer
> you to Conexant BECAUSE THEY KNOW that Conexant doesnt have any
> customer support. The original driver was a Conexant one called an
> AC97 which is screwed up by some Microsoft security update. This is
> why Gateway wont help. WU screwed up the sound. Apparently it WAS
> possible to get sound to work with some driver or other but even that
> one was screwed up by the next Security update which also said 'there
> is a problem with this update and Conexant sound drivers'

I expect you should be able to extract the original driver version from one
of the Gateway disks that came with the computer when you bought it.

PS: Is WinXP SP3 installed? What anti-virus application or security suite
is installed and is your subscription current? Has a(another) Norton or
McAfee application ever been installed on the computer (e.g., a free-trial
version that came preinstalled when you bought it)?

Harry Johnston [MVP]

Re: Just wondering whether anyone had found a workaround for Conexantdrivers yet?
PA Bear,

I believe the OP is saying that the original driver no longer works, apparently
as a side-effect of a (non-driver) update to Windows XP.

myfathersson: do you know which update causes the problem? It's a bit difficult
to advise without more information about the issue.

Harry.

--
Harry Johnston
http://harryjohnston.wordpress.com
myfathersson

Re: Just wondering whether anyone had found a workaround for Conexantdrivers yet?
On Apr 12, 8:07*pm, "Harry Johnston [MVP]" <ha...@scms.waikato.ac.nz>
wrote:
> PA Bear,
>
> I believe the OP is saying that the original driver no longer works, apparently
> as a side-effect of a (non-driver) update to Windows XP.
>
> myfathersson: do you know which update causes the problem? *It's a bit difficult
> to advise without more information about the issue.
>
> * *Harry.

> >> I kinda know not to install a driver which doesnt work or which causes
> >> an exclamation mark in Device Manager. Trouble is that there is
> >> nothing to roll back to: This is the 2006 driver which came with the
> >> original software. Gateway has the updated one to make users feel they
> >> are doing somehthing but apparently they wont believe that the new
> >> driver wont work and if you insist on telling them, they just refer
> >> you to Conexant BECAUSE THEY KNOW that Conexant doesnt have any
> >> customer support. The original driver was a Conexant one called an
> >> AC97 which is screwed up by some Microsoft security update. This is
> >> why Gateway wont help. WU screwed up the sound. Apparently it WAS
> >> possible to get sound to work with some driver or other but even that
> >> one was screwed up by the next Security update which also said 'there
> >> is a problem with this update and Conexant sound drivers'

> > I expect you should be able to extract the original driver version from
> > one of the Gateway disks that came with the computer when you bought it..

> > PS: Is WinXP SP3 installed? What anti-virus application or security
> > suite is installed and is your subscription current? Has a(another)
> > Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on the computer (e.g.,
> > a free-trial version that came preinstalled when you bought it)?

> --
> Harry Johnstonhttp://harryjohnston.wordpress.com

Thanks Harry but you have correctly identified this problem and this
happened over a year ago, possibly two: (some Inernet reports say that
this problem goes back at least to May 2007!) At that time I checked
and found that after sound went out, every subsequent KB update had a
problem with Conexant drivers. I have reinstalled the OS a few times
since this happened and cant now identify which ones they were. And I
have a suspicion that a lot of those updates were rolled up in SP3? In
any event perhaps I am not checking properly but I cant google
"Microsoft update" and "CONEXANT" to see which ones they were.
Harry Johnston [MVP]

On 2010-04-13 2:10 p.m., myfathersson wrote:

> Thanks Harry but you have correctly identified this problem and this
> happened over a year ago, possibly two: (some Inernet reports say that
> this problem goes back at least to May 2007!) At that time I checked
> and found that after sound went out, every subsequent KB update had a
> problem with Conexant drivers.

I don't think I understand what you mean by this. Do you mean that an warning
or error message appears every time you install updates?

> I have reinstalled the OS a few times
> since this happened and cant now identify which ones they were. And I
> have a suspicion that a lot of those updates were rolled up in SP3?

I believe there was an update that was included in SP3 which changed the way
that certain types of audio device were handled by Windows. If this is the
issue, you may find that sound works if you remove the manufacturer device
driver altogether and allow Windows to use the default drivers instead. Failing
that, only a corrected device driver can solve the problem.

Harry.

On Apr 12, 10:44*pm, "Harry Johnston [MVP]" <ha...@scms.waikato.ac.nz>
wrote:
> On 2010-04-13 2:10 p.m., myfathersson wrote:
>
> *> Thanks Harry *but you have correctly identified this problem and this
> *> happened over a year ago, possibly two: (some Inernet reports say that
> *> this problem goes back at least to May 2007!) *At that time I checked
> *> and found that after sound went out, every subsequent KB update had a
> *> problem with Conexant drivers.
>
> I don't think I understand what you mean by this. *Do you mean that an warning
> or error message appears every time you install updates?
>
> *> I have reinstalled the OS a few times
> *> since this happened and cant now identify which ones they were. And I
> *> have a suspicion that a lot of those updates were rolled up in SP3?
>
> I believe there was an update that was included in SP3 which changed the way
> that certain types of audio device were handled by Windows. *If this isthe
> issue, you may find that sound works if you remove the manufacturer device
> driver altogether and allow Windows to use the default drivers instead. *Failing
> that, only a corrected device driver can solve the problem.
>
> * *Harry.
>

> > On Apr 12, 8:07 pm, "Harry Johnston [MVP]"<ha...@scms.waikato.ac.nz>
> > wrote:
> >> PA Bear,

> >> I believe the OP is saying that the original driver no longer works, apparently
> >> as a side-effect of a (non-driver) update to Windows XP.

> >> myfathersson: do you know which update causes the problem? *It's a bit difficult
> >> to advise without more information about the issue.

> >> * * Harry.

> >> --
> >> Harry Johnstonhttp://harryjohnston.wordpress.com

> > Thanks Harry *but you have correctly identified this problem and this
> > happened over a year ago, possibly two: (some Inernet reports say that
> > this problem goes back at least to May 2007!) *At that time I checked
> > and found that after sound went out, every subsequent KB update had a
> > problem with Conexant drivers. I have reinstalled the OS a few times
> > since this happened and cant now identify which ones they were. And I
> > have a suspicion that a lot of those updates were rolled up in SP3? In
> > any event perhaps I am not checking properly but I cant google
> > "Microsoft update" and "CONEXANT" to see which ones they were.

> --
> Harry Johnstonhttp://harryjohnston.wordpress.com

Thanks again Harry. There are a plethora of Gateway MX6025 owners
reporting on the Internet generally who have no sound on their
computers. The only workaround I ever found was to install Linux! It
was when I looked into the side effects of installing certain KBs that
I saw the message 'this will have an effect on Conexant sound drivers'

You used to be able to install some new Conexant driver manually (i,e,
not automatically) but eventually even that failed when an even newere
WU nixed it. NO ONE ever mentioned letting Windows generic drivers
handle the sound. I wonder if this is possible as Conexant wont write
new drivers which work (curiously there ARE newer Vista drivers which
Conexant bothered to write but they dont work to get sound to work in
XP either!).

I dont hold out much hope but how do I completely uninstall the
Conexant drivers and switch over to the windows generic drivers
please? (I know how to do this with my WiFi utility)