No java(?) and email problem after removing 2 trojans

XJS FAN

No java(?) and email problem after removing 2 trojans
I got a security notification from WIN about a virus/trojan and ran a full
Norton scan to successfully remove the trojans.
The WIN notification went away however,
I am no longer seeing anything about javascript in my taskbar or anywhere
else.
In addition, in my email, OUTLOOK EXPRESS, in an email from, say,
amazon.com, the pics are no oonger in the message body till I open the email.
Then they all appear correctly.
Before the initial problem, neither of these things were problems.
Finally, in attempting to access IE, I am getting the message of "not
found", etc.
I realize that I have addressed 3 things here butt, would someone be so kind
as to send me any hints/solutions?
Thank you.

Re: No java(?) and email problem after removing 2 trojans
WTF is WIN? How does your post pertain to Windows Update?

XJS FAN wrote:
> I got a security notification from WIN about a virus/trojan and ran a full
> Norton scan to successfully remove the trojans.
> The WIN notification went away however,
> I am no longer seeing anything about javascript in my taskbar or anywhere
> else.
> In addition, in my email, OUTLOOK EXPRESS, in an email from, say,
> amazon.com, the pics are no oonger in the message body till I open the
> email. Then they all appear correctly.
> Before the initial problem, neither of these things were problems.
> Finally, in attempting to access IE, I am getting the message of "not
> found", etc.
> I realize that I have addressed 3 things here butt, would someone be so
> kind
> as to send me any hints/solutions?
> Thank you.

Shenan Stanley

XJS FAN wrote:
> I got a security notification from WIN about a virus/trojan and ran
> a full Norton scan to successfully remove the trojans.
> The WIN notification went away however,
> I am no longer seeing anything about javascript in my taskbar or
> anywhere else.
> In addition, in my email, OUTLOOK EXPRESS, in an email from, say,
> amazon.com, the pics are no oonger in the message body till I open
> the email. Then they all appear correctly.
> Before the initial problem, neither of these things were problems.
> Finally, in attempting to access IE, I am getting the message of
> "not found", etc.
> I realize that I have addressed 3 things here butt, would someone
> be so kind as to send me any hints/solutions?
> Thank you.

Sounds like you may not be so clean (not surprising.)

What version (specifically) of "Norton" do you have? Norton _______ v____?

What about your operating system? Sounds like possible Windows XP of some
edition, hopefully Service Pack 3....?

What version of Internet Explorer?

Start button --> RUN
(no "RUN"? Press the "Windows Key" + R on your keyboard)
--> type in:
winver
--> Click OK.

The picture at the top of the window that opens will give you the general
(Operating System name and edition) while the line starting with the word
"version" will give you the rest of the story. Post _both_ in response
to this message verbatim. No paraphrasing - instead - ensure
character-for-character copying. That's the edition (in the top picture)
and the exact version number in detail (the 'version' line.)

What version of Internet Explorer are you currently using? Easy to find
out. Open Internet Explorer and while that is in-focus, press and hold
the "ALT" key on your keyboard. With the "ALT" key still pressed, press
(just once, no holding) the "H" key. Now, with the "ALT" key still
pressed, press (just once, no holding) the "A" key. That will bring up
the "About Internet Explorer" window. It will give you the exact version
you are using - repeat what you see there in response to this message.

How to determine whether a computer is running a 32-bit version or
64-bit version of the Windows operating system
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827218

Assuming some 32-bit version of Windows XP ______ Edition...

Reboot and logon as administrative user.

Download, install, run, update and perform a full scan with the following
(freeware version):

SuperAntiSpyware
http://www.superantispyware.com/

Reboot and logon as administrative user.

Download, install, run, update and perform a full scan with the following
(freeware version):

MalwareBytes
http://www.malwarebytes.com/

Reboot and logon as administrative user.

Download and run the MSRT manually:

You may find nothing, you may find only cookies, you may think it is a
waste of time - but if you do all this and report back here with what you
do/don't find as you are doing all of it - you are adding more pieces to
the puzzle and the entire picture just may become clearer and your
problem resolved.

Reboot and logon as administrative user.

Visit this web page:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058

.... and click on the "Microsoft Fix it" icon. When asked, select "RUN",
both times. Check the "I agree" box and click on "Next". Check the box
for "Run aggressive options (not recommended)" and click "Next". Let
it finish up and follow the prompts until it is done. Close/exit and
reboot when it is.

Now - check for WIndows (Microsoft) updates again and install the critical
ones. Reboot as needed and one last time for good measure.

Download/install and run this:
http://www.technibble.com/xpquickfix...l-of-the-week/

Doing all 25 things wouldn't hurt. ;-)

Reboot again.