Vista Update freeze at download/installation

Sabin Coanda

Vista Update freeze at download/installation
Hi there,

Since some time, I got a message in Windows Update dialog, telling me that
"12 important updates are available". When I push the button "Install
updates", it begins to download, but is not able to get anything, until I
cancel the process.

Please tell me what is happen and how can I fix it.

Note that before this problem I run successfully each update, since when I
install my OS (2-3 years ago), without problems

TIA,
Sabin

MowGreen

Re: Vista Update freeze at download/installation
Sabin Coanda wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> Since some time, I got a message in Windows Update dialog, telling me
> that "12 important updates are available". When I push the button
> "Install updates", it begins to download, but is not able to get
> anything, until I cancel the process.
>
> Please tell me what is happen and how can I fix it.
>
> Note that before this problem I run successfully each update, since when
> I install my OS (2-3 years ago), without problems
>
> TIA,
> Sabin

How to read the Windowsupdate.log file
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/902093

Try another attempt at updating. If/when it fails, please copy and paste
at least the *last* 50 or so lines of the WindowsUpdate.log into your reply.

MowGreen
================
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
================

banthecheck.com
what do you need to go on.

"Sabin Coanda" wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> Since some time, I got a message in Windows Update dialog, telling me that
> "12 important updates are available". When I push the button "Install
> updates", it begins to download, but is not able to get anything, until I
> cancel the process.
>
> Please tell me what is happen and how can I fix it.
>
> Note that before this problem I run successfully each update, since when I
> install my OS (2-3 years ago), without problems
>
> TIA,
> Sabin
>
> .

Re: Vista Update freeze at download/installation
Always state your full Windows version (e.g., Vista SP1; Vista 64-bit SP2)
when posting in a forum or newsgroup. Please do so in your next reply.

What third-party firewall (if any)?

it)?

Sabin Coanda wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> Since some time, I got a message in Windows Update dialog, telling me that
> "12 important updates are available". When I push the button "Install
> updates", it begins to download, but is not able to get anything, until I
> cancel the process.
>
> Please tell me what is happen and how can I fix it.
>
> Note that before this problem I run successfully each update, since when I
> install my OS (2-3 years ago), without problems
>
> TIA,
> Sabin

Sabin Coanda

------> Comodo

> computer (e.g., a free-trial version that came preinstalled when you
> bought it)?

--------> Not sure, but I think it was Norton

Sabin Coanda

Re: Vista Update freeze at download/installation
> Try another attempt at updating. If/when it fails, please copy and paste
> at least the *last* 50 or so lines of the WindowsUpdate.log into your
> reply.

Please find attached the required log

Re: Vista Update freeze at download/installation
Thread history:
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...1e21cd8c7a5744

80070057 [as seen in your WindowsUpdate.log] => ERROR_INVALID_PARAMETER

Had your Norton subscription (or free trial) expired by the time you
installed Comodo Internet Security (I assume)?

Have you /purchased/ Comodo Internet Security?

==============

Norton (and McAfee) applications are notorious for not uninstalling (or
upgrading) cleanly.

1. Download the Norton Removal Tool, saving it to your desktop:
ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/englis...moval_Tool.exe

2. Close all open applications (i.e., anything with an icon on the taskbar).

3. Right-click on the file you saved in #1 above and select Run as
Administrator to run the utility. Don't TOUCH your keyboard until the run
completes, then reboot.

4. Test.

Sabin Coanda wrote:
>> Always state your full Windows version (e.g., Vista SP1; Vista 64-bit
>> SP2)
>> when posting in a forum or newsgroup. Please do so in your next reply.

> ------> Comodo

>> bought it)?

> --------> Not sure, but I think it was Norton

MowGreen

Re: Vista Update freeze at download/installation
Sabin,

After checking the WindowsUpdate.log -

2010-04-12 23:01:10:162 1216 44c AU AU setting pending client directive
to 'Install Approval'
2010-04-12 23:01:25:164 1216 44c AU WARNING: AU found no suitable
session to launch client in
2010-04-12 23:01:40:796 1216 44c Shutdwn user declined update at shutdown
2010-04-12 23:01:40:997 1216 44c AU AU initiates service shutdown
2010-04-12 23:01:41:107 1216 44c AU ########### AU: Uninitializing
Automatic Updates ###########
2010-04-12 23:01:41:828 1216 44c Handler
CUHCbsHandler::CancelDownloadRequest called
2010-04-12 23:02:31:429 504 ab8 COMAPI FATAL: Unable to connect to the
service (hr=8007045B)
2010-04-12 23:02:31:670 504 ab8 COMAPI WARNING: Unable to establish
connection to the service. (hr=8007045B)

The above shows where the downloads are freezing because some "thing" is
interfering with communication between your computer and the update servers:

2010-04-12 23:01:40:796 1216 44c Shutdwn user declined update at shutdown
2010-04-12 23:01:41:828 1216 44c Handler
CUHCbsHandler::CancelDownloadRequest called

I strongly suspect that the Comodo firewall is causing this freezing issue.

2010-04-12 21:53:40:922 504 ab8 Misc = Process: C:\Program
Files\Microsoft Security Essentials\MpCmdRun.exe

The above shows Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) is installed. The
entries appear to indicate that definition updates for it are being
regulated, which should NEVER occur unless there is a communications
issue with the update server.

*** Is this a Comodo security suite that contains an antivirus or just a
firewall ? ***

Either Clean boot the system, then turn on the native Vista firewall and
see if the system can download and install updates, or uninstall Comodo
and replace it with one that does not interfere with updating Vista.

How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows
Vista or in Windows 7
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

If a Comodo security suite is installed there is a conflict going on
with MSE. Choose one or the other, *not* both.

MowGreen
================
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
================

banthecheck.com

----> I don't remember

----> No. It is the freeware version

> ==============
>
> Norton (and McAfee) applications are notorious for not uninstalling (or
> upgrading) cleanly.
>
> 1. Download the Norton Removal Tool, saving it to your desktop:
> ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/englis...moval_Tool.exe
>
> 2. Close all open applications (i.e., anything with an icon on the
> taskbar).
>
> 3. Right-click on the file you saved in #1 above and select Run as
> Administrator to run the utility. Don't TOUCH your keyboard until the run
> completes, then reboot.
>
> 4. Test.

------> After running Norton Removal Tool and trying another update it fails
as usual