Unable to update

Inner Blonde

Unable to update
Hello,

I keep getting the error message below when I try to check for updates. I
have done and checked every one of these steps multiple times, and it doesn't
help. Can anyone help? Thanks.

The site cannot continue because one or more of these Windows services is
not running:

Automatic Updates (allows the site to find, download and install
high-priority updates for your computer)
Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) (helps updates download more
quickly and without problems if the download process is interrupted)
Event Log (keeps a record of updating activities to help with
troubleshooting, if needed)
To make sure these services are running:
1. Click Start, and then click Run.
2. Type services.msc and then click OK.
3. In the list of services, double-click on Automatic Updates and then click
Properties.
4. In the Startup type list, select Automatic and click Apply.
5. Verify that the Service status is started, if the Service Status is
Stopped click on the Start Button.
6. In the list of services, double-click on Background Intelligent Transfer
Service (BITS) and then click Properties.
7. In the Startup type list, select Manual and click Apply.
8. Verify that the Service status is started, If the Service Status is
Stopped click on the Start Button.
9. In the list of services, double-click on Event Log and then click
Properties.
10. In the Startup type list, select Automatic and click Apply.
11. Verify that the Service status is started, If the Service Status is
Stopped click on the Start Button.
MowGreen

Re: Unable to update
Which Windows edition and Service Pack level ?

Download and *save* the Fixit on this page:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058

Click the Fixit icon; when prompted to run or save
MicrosoftFixit50505.msi, choose *save*.

Once the download completes, if this is Windows XP, read this:

How to configure Windows XP to start in a "clean boot" state

MowGreen
================
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
================

banthecheck.com

Inner Blonde wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I keep getting the error message below when I try to check for updates. I
> have done and checked every one of these steps multiple times, and it doesn't
> help. Can anyone help? Thanks.
>

> The site cannot continue because one or more of these Windows services is
> not running:
>
> Automatic Updates (allows the site to find, download and install
> high-priority updates for your computer)
> Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) (helps updates download more
> quickly and without problems if the download process is interrupted)
> Event Log (keeps a record of updating activities to help with
> troubleshooting, if needed)
> To make sure these services are running:
> 1. Click Start, and then click Run.
> 2. Type services.msc and then click OK.
> 3. In the list of services, double-click on Automatic Updates and then click
> Properties.
> 4. In the Startup type list, select Automatic and click Apply.
> 5. Verify that the Service status is started, if the Service Status is
> Stopped click on the Start Button.
> 6. In the list of services, double-click on Background Intelligent Transfer
> Service (BITS) and then click Properties.
> 7. In the Startup type list, select Manual and click Apply.
> 8. Verify that the Service status is started, If the Service Status is
> Stopped click on the Start Button.
> 9. In the list of services, double-click on Event Log and then click
> Properties.
> 10. In the Startup type list, select Automatic and click Apply.
> 11. Verify that the Service status is started, If the Service Status is
> Stopped click on the Start Button.

MowGreen

Re: Unable to update
Continued:
How to configure Windows XP to start in a "clean boot" state
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310353

Configure the system according to the above KB article. When restarted
to the clean boot state, run MicrosoftFixit50202.msi and choose it's
Aggressive mode.
NOTE: The system *must* be connected to the internet during the
Aggressive mode run. Ensure that the native XP firewall is On by
checking in the Control Panel > Windows Firewall *IF* a 3rd party
firewall was being used by a security suite or by itself.
It will be Off when the system is configured to clean boot.

Restart when the Fixit completes it's operation and see if the system
can update while still in the clean boot state.
If it can, then 3rd party software was interfering with the update
process ( anti virus/security suite/etc ).

If it can not update, please post at least the *last* 50 or so lines of
the WindowsUpdate.log into your reply:

How to read the Windowsupdate.log file
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/902093

MowGreen
================
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
================

banthecheck.com

Inner Blonde wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I keep getting the error message below when I try to check for updates. I
> have done and checked every one of these steps multiple times, and it doesn't
> help. Can anyone help? Thanks.
>

> The site cannot continue because one or more of these Windows services is
> not running:
>
> Automatic Updates (allows the site to find, download and install
> high-priority updates for your computer)
> Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) (helps updates download more
> quickly and without problems if the download process is interrupted)
> Event Log (keeps a record of updating activities to help with
> troubleshooting, if needed)
> To make sure these services are running:
> 1. Click Start, and then click Run.
> 2. Type services.msc and then click OK.
> 3. In the list of services, double-click on Automatic Updates and then click
> Properties.
> 4. In the Startup type list, select Automatic and click Apply.
> 5. Verify that the Service status is started, if the Service Status is
> Stopped click on the Start Button.
> 6. In the list of services, double-click on Background Intelligent Transfer
> Service (BITS) and then click Properties.
> 7. In the Startup type list, select Manual and click Apply.
> 8. Verify that the Service status is started, If the Service Status is
> Stopped click on the Start Button.
> 9. In the list of services, double-click on Event Log and then click
> Properties.
> 10. In the Startup type list, select Automatic and click Apply.
> 11. Verify that the Service status is started, If the Service Status is
> Stopped click on the Start Button.

MrSoftware

Re: Unable to update
Mow,

I tried FixIt 50202 while booting up in 'Safe Mode'.

The FixIt would not run and I got a message box saying;

'The Windows Installer Service is not accessible in Safe Mode. ....'

Is booting up in 'Safe Mode' different from a 'clean boot'?

"MowGreen" wrote:

> [...]
> > 2. Type services.msc and then click OK.
> > 3. In the list of services, double-click on Automatic Updates and then click
> > Properties.
> > 4. In the Startup type list, select Automatic and click Apply.
> > 5. Verify that the Service status is started, if the Service Status is
> > Stopped click on the Start Button.
> > 6. In the list of services, double-click on Background Intelligent Transfer
> > Service (BITS) and then click Properties.
> > 7. In the Startup type list, select Manual and click Apply.
> > 8. Verify that the Service status is started, If the Service Status is
> > Stopped click on the Start Button.
> > 9. In the list of services, double-click on Event Log and then click
> > Properties.
> > 10. In the Startup type list, select Automatic and click Apply.
> > 11. Verify that the Service status is started, If the Service Status is

Ǝиçεl

Re: Unable to update
Hi MrSoftware,

<http://www.ocregister.com/articles/boot-41531-windows-mode.html>

I'm suяe someone else will help you if this suggestion doesn't help.

Ǝиçεl
-=-

"MrSoftware" wrote:

> [...]
> > > 2. Type services.msc and then click OK.
> > > 3. In the list of services, double-click on Automatic Updates and then click
> > > Properties.
> > > 4. In the Startup type list, select Automatic and click Apply.
> > > 5. Verify that the Service status is started, if the Service Status is
> > > Stopped click on the Start Button.
> > > 6. In the list of services, double-click on Background Intelligent Transfer
> > > Service (BITS) and then click Properties.
> > > 7. In the Startup type list, select Manual and click Apply.
> > > 8. Verify that the Service status is started, If the Service Status is
> > > Stopped click on the Start Button.
> > > 9. In the list of services, double-click on Event Log and then click
> > > Properties.
> > > 10. In the Startup type list, select Automatic and click Apply.
> > > 11. Verify that the Service status is started, If the Service Status is

Re: Unable to update
Now you're hijacking threads?!

MrSoftware wrote:
> [...]
>>> 2. Type services.msc and then click OK.
>>> 3. In the list of services, double-click on Automatic Updates and then
>>> click Properties.
>>> 4. In the Startup type list, select Automatic and click Apply.
>>> 5. Verify that the Service status is started, if the Service Status is
>>> Stopped click on the Start Button.
>>> 6. In the list of services, double-click on Background Intelligent
>>> Transfer Service (BITS) and then click Properties.
>>> 7. In the Startup type list, select Manual and click Apply.
>>> 8. Verify that the Service status is started, If the Service Status is
>>> Stopped click on the Start Button.
>>> 9. In the list of services, double-click on Event Log and then click
>>> Properties.
>>> 10. In the Startup type list, select Automatic and click Apply.
>>> 11. Verify that the Service status is started, If the Service Status is

MowGreen

Re: Unable to update
MrSoftware wrote:
> Mow,
>
> I tried FixIt 50202 while booting up in 'Safe Mode'.
>
> The FixIt would not run and I got a message box saying;
>
> 'The Windows Installer Service is not accessible in Safe Mode. ....'
>
> Is booting up in 'Safe Mode' different from a 'clean boot'?

You hijacked someone else's thread to post this ? Why ?

Yes, Safe Mode is different from a clean boot ... which is why I
recommended a clean boot.
Some services do not run in Safe Mode, the Windows Installer service
being one of them.
A clean boot is used to remove potential interference from *3rd party
software*.

MowGreen
================
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten

banthecheck.com
MrSoftware

Re: Unable to update
You're right :-O

Tons of appologies.

Will stick to old threads - post new ones!

Thanks again PA Bear!