RESTORE SYSTEM

ski2823

RESTORE SYSTEM
I believe I was hit by a Virus. Once I noticed it, I turn my computer
complete off. The when I went to reboot, all my microsoft application will
not run. Keep getting "Application not found". When I go to try to do a
restore, I keep getting the "Open application with box". Can't even do a
sytem restore.

My computer is a e-machine and it came with the microsoft programs already
and I did do some updates as well.

I did have Norton 360 but know that is missing as well.

Dan

Shenan Stanley

Re: RESTORE SYSTEM
ski2823 wrote:
> I believe I was hit by a Virus. Once I noticed it, I turn my
> computer complete off. The when I went to reboot, all my microsoft
> application will not run. Keep getting "Application not found".
> When I go to try to do a restore, I keep getting the "Open
> application with box". Can't even do a sytem restore.
>
> My computer is a e-machine and it came with the microsoft programs
> already and I did do some updates as well.
>
> I did have Norton 360 but know that is missing as well.

What exactly are you asking? Is your subject line the query?

If so - your eMachine likely came with a method to restore your system to
its *as purchased* state. What that process is varies - you'd have to
follow the directions that came with it. Could be some key sequence at
power-on time. Could be some restoration CD/DVDs you were given and/or were
supposed to make when you first brought the machine home. Could be you
actually got installation media.

Also - this is the Windows Update newsgroup. Are you saying that some
Windows Update came with a virus; that you did not keep your system updated
with Windows Update so you got this virus; that although you kept up to date
with Windows Update, you got this virus? Is there a relevance to your
chosen newsgroup?

Can you boot into Safe Mode?

Can you use something like BartPE or the Windows Ultimate Boot CD to boot
and scan your system for/clean it of most of the worst of the virus? Or at
least get the name of the supposed virus?

Have you been backing things up to external media? Have you been doing your
system state and/or making occassional images of the partition(s) and/or
disk(s) so you could restore to a given time and then use your file/folder
backups to get your stuff back as close to the failure date as plausible?

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Re: RESTORE SYSTEM
And how does this pertain to Windows Update?

There is a very good chance that you are seeing the effects of a hijackware
infection!

Microsoft PCSafety provides home users (only) with no-charge support in
dealing with malware infections such as viruses, spyware (including unwanted
software), and adware.
https://support.microsoft.com/oas/de...prid=7552&st=1

Also available via the Consumer Security Support home page:

Otherwise...

2a. WinXP => Run the Windows Live Safety Center's 'Protection' scan (only!)
in Safe Mode with Networking, if need be:

2b. Vista or Win7=> Run this scan instead:
http://onecare.live.com/site/en-us/center/whatsnew.htm

3. Now run a thorough check for hijackware, including posting requested logs
in an appropriate forum, not here. DO NOT SKIP THIS STEP!!

Checking for/Help with Hijackware:
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

**Chances are you will need to seek expert assistance in
http://www.bluetack.co.uk/forums/index.php,
http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30 or other appropriate forums.**