Re: Windows Update Will Not Update

[crosspost to Windows Update newsgroup]

What third-party firewall (if any)?

it)?

=============
How to troubleshoot Windows Update, Microsoft Update, and Windows Server
Update Services installation issues:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/906602

1. See the "Need more help? Tell us what problem you are having" section of
http://support.microsoft.com/ph/6527

2. You cannot install some updates or programs
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822798

3a. Check your WindowsUpdate.log (%windir%\WindowsUpdate.log) for errors
associated with the download/install.

How to read the WindowsUpdate.log file
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/902093

3b. Compare errors to those listed here:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/blog...showentry=1122
and/or go to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com > click on Help and Support
link in left pane > Solve problems on your own.
================
How do I reset the Windows Update settings?
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058
================
Windows Update-specific newsgroup:
===========================

E-Double wrote:
> On a Windows XP Home, sp3 machine the Windows Updates will not update or
> complete. It looks like it has been a problem for quite a while as there
> are about 43 critical updates that need to be applied. The Automatic
> Updates looks like it tries to install the updates when rebooting, but
> they
> apparently fail. When manually running Windows or Microsoft Updates the
> Critical Updates appear to download fine and begin to install, and once in
> while one will install, but then the process will fail and kick the user
> out
> of the Update process (without trying the remaining updates).
>
> We tried to delete and recreate the Windows\Software Distribution folder
> as
> well as manually try to reinstall Service Pack 3 from the redistributable
> file (ie download the 315 MB WinXP, sp file and install it from the local
> drive). That process also failed and kicks the user out of the process
> after the Inventory process. Some generic Update Failed To Install
> message
> appears.
>
> When looking at the Windows Updates History there does not appear to be
> any
> failed updates in there, only previously successful updates and a single
> incomplete update. Not sure what else to try at this point.
>
> TIA for any help or suggestions on this one.
>
> e.

E-Double

Re: Windows Update Will Not Update
Hi, Thanks for the reply. I will check on all of those links. I am not sure
if Symantec or McAffe were ever installed - McAffe may have came as a demo as
you said. Originally when the WinUpdates were failing they had AVG Free on
there. We have since uninstalled AVG and it still failed - so we put Avast
Free on there. Malwarebytes (and Defender) are/were on there as well. The
spyware and virus scans seem to come-up clean. We also tried a Windows Error
Check on the disk, and as mentioned tried re-installing WinXP, sp3 from the
local drive.

e.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> [...]
> > file (ie download the 315 MB WinXP, sp file and install it from the local
> > drive). That process also failed and kicks the user out of the process
> > after the Inventory process. Some generic Update Failed To Install
> > message
> > appears.
> >
> > When looking at the Windows Updates History there does not appear to be
> > any
> > failed updates in there, only previously successful updates and a single
> > incomplete update. Not sure what else to try at this point.
> >
> > TIA for any help or suggestions on this one.
> >
> > e.

> .

Re: Windows Update Will Not Update
> Originally when the WinUpdates were failing they had AVG
> Free on there. We have since uninstalled AVG and it still failed - so we

Who is "they"? Are you being paid to work on this computer?

See...

Can I install Microsoft Security Essentials [or any other
anti-virus/anti-spyware application] to clean up my already-infected
computer?
http://social.answers.microsoft.com/...3-efd9a49d9275

That being said...

Open IE to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com, select the CUSTOM option &
scan. Now click on the Update History link in the left-hand menu: What are
the KB numbers and install dates for the last three (3) update which
/successfully/ installed (e.g., KB987654 on 12 Dec-09)?

E-Double wrote:
> [...]
>>> of the Update process (without trying the remaining updates).
>>>
>>> We tried to delete and recreate the Windows\Software Distribution folder
>>> as
>>> well as manually try to reinstall Service Pack 3 from the
>>> redistributable
>>> file (ie download the 315 MB WinXP, sp file and install it from the
>>> local
>>> drive). That process also failed and kicks the user out of the process
>>> after the Inventory process. Some generic Update Failed To Install
>>> message
>>> appears.
>>>
>>> When looking at the Windows Updates History there does not appear to be
>>> any
>>> failed updates in there, only previously successful updates and a single
>>> incomplete update. Not sure what else to try at this point.
>>>
>>> TIA for any help or suggestions on this one.

E-Double

Re: Windows Update Will Not Update

These suggestions worked great and fixed my problems - thanks ! I did the
crypto dll unreg and re-reg processes and also a few of the KB articles
including the link to the MS Fix It - Windows Updates Reset util and all is
well now. Thanks again, much appreciated !

e.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> [crosspost to Windows Update newsgroup]

> What third-party firewall (if any)?

> computer (e.g., a free-trial version that came preinstalled when you bought
> it)?
>
> =============
> How to troubleshoot Windows Update, Microsoft Update, and Windows Server
> Update Services installation issues:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/906602
>
> 1. See the "Need more help? Tell us what problem you are having" section of
> http://support.microsoft.com/ph/6527
>
> 2. You cannot install some updates or programs
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822798
>
> 3a. Check your WindowsUpdate.log (%windir%\WindowsUpdate.log) for errors
> associated with the download/install.
>
> How to read the WindowsUpdate.log file
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/902093
>
> 3b. Compare errors to those listed here:
> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/blog...showentry=1122
> and/or go to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com > click on Help and Support
> link in left pane > Solve problems on your own.
> ================
> How do I reset the Windows Update settings?
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058
> ================
> Windows Update-specific newsgroup:
> ===========================

> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>

> E-Double wrote:
> > On a Windows XP Home, sp3 machine the Windows Updates will not update or
> > complete. It looks like it has been a problem for quite a while as there
> > are about 43 critical updates that need to be applied. The Automatic
> > Updates looks like it tries to install the updates when rebooting, but
> > they
> > apparently fail. When manually running Windows or Microsoft Updates the
> > Critical Updates appear to download fine and begin to install, and once in
> > while one will install, but then the process will fail and kick the user
> > out
> > of the Update process (without trying the remaining updates).
> >
> > We tried to delete and recreate the Windows\Software Distribution folder
> > as
> > well as manually try to reinstall Service Pack 3 from the redistributable
> > file (ie download the 315 MB WinXP, sp file and install it from the local
> > drive). That process also failed and kicks the user out of the process
> > after the Inventory process. Some generic Update Failed To Install
> > message
> > appears.
> >
> > When looking at the Windows Updates History there does not appear to be
> > any
> > failed updates in there, only previously successful updates and a single
> > incomplete update. Not sure what else to try at this point.
> >
> > TIA for any help or suggestions on this one.
> >
> > e.

> .

Re: Windows Update Will Not Update
You're welcome & thanks very much for your feedback.