windows vista update(service not running)

windows vistaUpdate(service not running)

windows vista update(service not running)
hi
when ever i click the check for updates button,it says service is not
running,u need to restart your computer ,i always restart it but the same
thing is all over again
what shall i do?
G. R. Woodring

Re: windows vista update(service not running)
Date: 4/3/2010 6:04 AM, Author: windows vistaUpdate(service not running) Wrote:
> hi
> when ever i click the check for updates button,it says service is not
> running,u need to restart your computer ,i always restart it but the same
> thing is all over again
> what shall i do?

What Operating System version?
What Service Pack level is installed?
At what point in the update process did the error occur?
What is the _name_ of the service that is not running?
Did you restart the service or just the computer?
Did you set the service to start automatically?
What did the error message _really_ say?
What update (KB######)? What error (0x########)?
Did you try any of the troubleshooting suggestions on the Windows Update site?
If so, what were the results?

With the information you have provided any response would be a Wild Ass Guess.

--
G. R. Woodring
d3zZi

RE: windows vista update(service not running)
I have the same issue, there is no error code, you click to run updates, and
it tells you the service is not running and you need to restart, but nothing
happens, my updates are set to install automatically, however, the update
program obviously has an issue, Even opening windows update from the control
panel takes longer than it use to. I'd love if it actually stated an error
code, maybe then I could get it figured out, .. I dont know if it has
something to do with windows defender, because upon startup I get errors for
the program, ..

"windows vistaUpdate(service not running)" wrote:

> hi
> when ever i click the check for updates button,it says service is not
> running,u need to restart your computer ,i always restart it but the same
> thing is all over again
> what shall i do?

gageguy is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: windows vista update(service not running)
Quote:
Originally Posted by G. R. Woodring View Post
Date: 4/3/2010 6:04 AM, Author: windows vistaUpdate(service not running) Wrote:[color=blue]

What Operating System version?
What Service Pack level is installed?
At what point in the update process did the error occur?
What is the _name_ of the service that is not running?
Did you restart the service or just the computer?
Did you set the service to start automatically?
What did the error message _really_ say?
What update (KB######)? What error (0x########)?
Did you try any of the troubleshooting suggestions on the Windows Update site?
If so, what were the results?

With the information you have provided any response would be a Wild Ass Guess.
G. R. Woodring
GR; Your response has really set wrong in my mind. This site is to provide some help to the general public. I would have expected a simple polite request for more information. The attitude of your reply is very curt. It has come off to me as very arrogant or rude. Of course that information is needed, but please remember, not everyone in this site is as well schooled in computer problem resolution as you apparently are.

Well now I am having the same problem as the original poster. To answer your list of questions...
What Operating System version? Windows Vista Home Premium 64bit
What Service Pack level is installed? Service Pack 2
At what point in the update process did the error occur? This computer has been turned off for over a full year. When I started the computer there was a battery issue, and I needed to set the time before the computer would start. The first thing I did was to go to Windows Update to bring the Vista up to current update status. When Windows Update is opened there is a RED bar on left hand side and the little shield is RED with a white X in center. When you click the 'Check for updates' button a pop-up appears.
What is the _name_ of the service that is not running? Windows Update
Did you restart the service or just the computer? I have done both.
Did you set the service to start automatically? The service is set to get updates automatically, and has done so in the past.
What did the error message _really_ say? The box title is Windows Update. The text of the message states: Windows Update cannot currently check for updates, because the service is not running. You may need to restart your computer. There is no other text. the only option is to click OK or to X out.
What update (KB######)? What error (0x########)? none of these are visible.
Did you try any of the troubleshooting suggestions on the Windows Update site? I have tried the first two or three of the suggestions.
If so, what were the results? It the result was good, I would not be posting here. One fix was to run a program to fix registry problems, which found repairs needed, The repairs were made and the problem still exists.

I have seen this same question asked several places, but no place has a definitive answer. I expect the Vistaheads will know what to do.

At this point I am almost ready to re-install Vista. Before I do that I thought I would chat with the Vistaheads as the last resort.

Last edited by gageguy : 07-07-2012 at 22:16.