Document Imaging problem after applying Office 2003 sp3

bill foster

Document Imaging problem after applying Office 2003 sp3
' Name: MODI File Association Fix
' Author: Microsoft Customer Support Services
' Copyright (c) 2008, Microsoft Corporation
' Script to re-associate .TIF, .TIFF, and .MDI files back to MODI
' Writes associations to the HKCU hive to prevent future Office 2003 patch or repair actions from removing them

Option Explicit
Dim WshShell
Dim bTIF, bTIFF, bMDI

'================================================= ================================================== ====
'Section for script behavior customizations

'Associate .TIF with MODI.
' Set this option to 'False' to prevent .TIF from being re-associated
bTIF = True

'Associate .TIFF with MODI.
' Set this option to 'False' to prevent .TIFF from being re-associated
bTIFF = True

'Associate .MDI with MODI.
' Set this option to 'False' to prevent .MDI from being re-associated
bMDI = True

'DO NOT CUSTOMIZE BELOW THIS LINE!
'================================================= =================================

'Create instance of shell object

Const sPrefix1 = "HKCU\SOFTWARE\Classes\"
Const sPrefix2 = "HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ex plorer\FileExts\"
Const sGUID = "{58F2E3BB-72BD-46DF-B134-1B50628668FB}"

if bTIF = True then
' Write registry values for .TIF association
WshShell.RegWrite sPrefix1 & ".tif\","TIFImage.Document","REG_SZ"
WshShell.RegWrite sPrefix1 & ".tif\Content Type","image/tif","REG_SZ"
WshShell.RegWrite sPrefix1 & ".tif\PerceivedType","image","REG_SZ"
WshShell.RegWrite sPrefix1 & ".tif\OpenWithList\mspview.exe\","","REG_SZ"
WshShell.RegWrite sPrefix1 & ".tif\OpenWithProgids\TIFImage.Document","","REG_S Z"
WshShell.RegWrite sPrefix1 & ".tif\PersistentHandler\",sGUID,"REG_SZ"
WshShell.RegWrite sPrefix2 & ".tif\Progid","MSPaper.Document","REG_SZ"
WshShell.RegWrite sPrefix2 & ".tif\OpenWithList\a","MSPVIEW.EXE","REG_SZ"
WshShell.RegWrite sPrefix2 & ".tif\OpenWithProgids\TIFImage.Document",0,"REG_DW ORD"
WshShell.RegWrite sPrefix2 & ".tif\OpenWithProgids\MSPaper.Document",0,"REG_DWO RD"
WshShell.RegWrite sPrefix2 & ".tif\OpenWithProgids\Imaging.Document",0,"REG_DWO RD"
WshShell.RegWrite sPrefix2 & ".tif\UserChoice\Progid","MSPaper.Document","REG_S Z"
end if

if bTIFF = True then
' write registry values for .TIFF association
WshShell.RegWrite sPrefix1 & ".tiff\","TIFImage.Document","REG_SZ"
WshShell.RegWrite sPrefix1 & ".tiff\Content Type","image/tiff","REG_SZ"
WshShell.RegWrite sPrefix1 & ".tiff\PerceivedType","image","REG_SZ"
WshShell.RegWrite sPrefix1 & ".tiff\OpenWithList\mspview.exe\","","REG_SZ"
WshShell.RegWrite sPrefix1 & ".tiff\OpenWithProgids\TIFImage.Document","","REG_ SZ"
WshShell.RegWrite sPrefix1 & ".tiff\PersistentHandler\",sGUID,"REG_SZ"
WshShell.RegWrite sPrefix2 & ".tiff\Progid","MSPaper.Document","REG_SZ"
WshShell.RegWrite sPrefix2 & ".tiff\OpenWithList\a","MSPVIEW.EXE","REG_SZ"
WshShell.RegWrite sPrefix2 & ".tiff\OpenWithProgids\TIFImage.Document",0,"REG_D WORD"
WshShell.RegWrite sPrefix2 & ".tiff\OpenWithProgids\MSPaper.Document",0,"REG_DW ORD"
WshShell.RegWrite sPrefix2 & ".tiff\OpenWithProgids\Imaging.Document",0,"REG_DW ORD"
WshShell.RegWrite sPrefix2 & ".tiff\UserChoice\Progid","MSPaper.Document","REG_ SZ"
end if

if bMDI = True then
' write registry values for .MDI association
WshShell.RegWrite sPrefix1 & ".mdi\","mdi_auto_file","REG_SZ"
WshShell.RegWrite sPrefix1 & ".mdi\Content Type","image/vnd.ms-modi","REG_SZ"
WshShell.RegWrite sPrefix1 & ".mdi\MSPaper.Document","","REG_SZ"
WshShell.RegWrite sPrefix1 & ".mdi\MSPaper.Document\ShellNew","","REG_SZ"
WshShell.RegWrite sPrefix1 & ".mdi\PersistentHandler\",sGUID,"REG_SZ"
WshShell.RegWrite sPrefix2 & ".mdi\Progid","MSPaper.Document","REG_SZ"
WshShell.RegWrite sPrefix2 & ".mdi\OpenWithList\a","MSPVIEW.EXE","REG_SZ"
WshShell.RegWrite sPrefix2 & ".mdi\OpenWithProgids\mdi_auto_file",0,"REG_DW ORD"
WshShell.RegWrite sPrefix2 & ".mdi\UserChoice\Progid","MSPaper.Document","REG_S Z"
end if

Hermie wrote:

It fixed the problem for me
18-Jun-09

You are required to be a member to post replies. After logging in or becoming a member, you will be redirected back to this page.

On Saturday, October 20, 2007 11:56 AM
rjb800 wrote:

Microsoft Office Document Imaging Problem after installing SP 3
After installing SP 3 for Office 2003, Microsoft Office Document Imaging is
demonstrating the following behavior:

The icons on the tool bar work fine, but any attempt to pull down a menu
(whether with the mouse or with keystrokes), such as the <file> menu causes
the following error message:

"Microsoft Office Document Imaging has encountered a problem and needs to
close. We are sorry for the inconvenience."

The program then shuts down.

Is there a patch or anything else available which will enable us to get the
menus to properly function?

If not, is it possible to uninstall office 2003 and re-install it without SP
3. I'd rather have a fully functioning Microsoft Office Document Imaging
program than whatever improvements are associated with SP 3.

Is anyone else experiencing this problem?

On Saturday, October 20, 2007 6:16 PM
TaurArian [MS-MVP] wrote:

After you install Office 2003 SP3, the Microsoft Office Document Imaging
After you install Office 2003 SP3, the Microsoft Office Document Imaging program may not
work as expected.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/938813

--
====================================
TaurArian [MS-MVP] 2005-2008 - Australia

"rjb8000" <rjb8000@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news00A8D32-2FD9-4C9D-B32C-81E12D1ACC2A@microsoft.com...

On Wednesday, October 24, 2007 4:01 PM
Pzkma wrote:

I'm Also having this problem and that link does not help, because I cannot
I'm Also having this problem and that link does not help, because I cannot
click or tab down to File. This has been a very big problem for me, and I
need help to fix this problem.

Even if I reinstall this continues to happen. Why? How can I fix this?
Please help!
"rjb8000" wrote:

On Monday, October 29, 2007 8:54 PM
wf130 wrote:

i have the exact same problem. very annoying.
i have the exact same problem. very annoying. only errors on the <file>
pull down. Any help is appreciated

"rjb8000" wrote:

On Tuesday, October 30, 2007 9:14 AM
DetourDav wrote:

I'm also experiencing this problem with one of my users machines and have been
I'm also experiencing this problem with one of my users machines and have
been looking for a solution, but haven't come up with anything yet. The
information in the KB article posted above really doesn't apply to this
situation.

I'm going to attempt to uninstall/reinstall MODI, but if that doesn't work,
I suppose I'll have to uninstall/reinstall Office 2003 SP2 as this particular
user uses MODI on a regular basis.

Thankfully we haven't deployed Office SP3 to any other machines yet.

On Tuesday, October 30, 2007 9:39 AM
TwinTwo Ultra wrote:

Microsoft Office Document Imaging Problem after installing SP 3 - wf130
After opening MS Document Imaging, go to...
Tools Menu >Options >Other tab >Click "Reset button"

On Tuesday, October 30, 2007 9:52 AM
DetourDav wrote:

Clicking the Reset button in the Tools Menu only sets MODI as the default
Clicking the Reset button in the Tools Menu only sets MODI as the default
application for opening TIF files. Unfortunately, this doesn't resolve the
issue of the error message that you get when you click on the <file> menu. I
tried it yesterday and it didn't work.

"TwinTwo Ultra" wrote:

On Tuesday, November 06, 2007 12:08 AM
An wrote:

I am having the same problem.
I am having the same problem. (I have XP home edition) And on one of my
computers, it was definately related to the office update released in
September 2007. Everyting was working fine until the upgrade. After the
upgrade microsoft imaging was not working.
I checked the message that you send to Microsoft and in that message, were a
bunch of stuff I did not understand, but there was a reference to a file:
mspview.exe.

I then did a search on my computer and found where the file was located. I
had one mspview file from 2003 and one from 2007 located in different
folders. I checked another computer where miscrosoft document imaging was
working fine and that computer's mspview application was from June 2003 in
both folders.

I went back to my computer with the imaging probem, and clicked on the file
mspview.exe from 2003, an icon called MSPVIEW popped up. When I clicked this
I opened up microsoft document imaging program and then I could go to file
and click and then I could print......So I deleted the mspview.exe 2007
version and moved the MSPVIEW to that spot. Now I can print. I have
probably violated every protocol in world when it comes to computer speak but
it works for now.

So probably all you need to do is to reinstall Office 2003 and DO NOT DO THE
AUTOMATIC UPDATE until microsoft fixes this. I also put my automatic updates
on 'notify me' because I am not installing office updates until there is a
fix for this imaging problem available. It is a pain to have to reinstall
Office 2003 everytime they update Office.

"rjb8000" wrote:

On Tuesday, November 06, 2007 12:15 AM
An wrote:

Re: Microsoft Office Document Imaging Problem after installing SP
Your suggestion http://support.microsoft.com/kb/938813 DOES NOT fix
anything. The problem is that YOU CANNOT open file and the second part has
to do with file associations, which is not related to the File issue. It is
the MSPVIEW.exe April 2007 that has the problem. The old MSPVIEW.exe from
June 2003 works fine.

"TaurArian [MS-MVP]" wrote:

On Saturday, November 17, 2007 4:38 PM
Mik wrote:

I get the same error.
I get the same error. Microsoft's error reporting sends the following
information back to Microsoft:

AppName: mspview.exe AppVer: 11.0.8166.2 AppStamp:4616c203
ModName: mspview.exe ModVer: 11.0.8166.2 ModStamp:4616c203
fDebug: 0 Offset: 00016537

I have no idea how to solve this problem, but it is absurd that Microsoft's
supposed service update has ruined the ability to use one of the main Office
applications. This has to be fixed.

"rjb8000" wrote:

On Wednesday, November 28, 2007 6:25 PM
TaurAria wrote:

Re: Microsoft Office Document Imaging Problem after installing SP
THEN START a free incident report and do not yell at me.

"Ann" wrote:

On Saturday, December 08, 2007 4:26 PM
Cherianjm wrote:

Re: Microsoft Office Document Imaging Problem after installing SP 3
On Nov 17, 1:38 pm, Mike <M...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

Hi,

I was having the same problem as described above after installing
service pack 3 for office. However, I had a different computer that
did not have SP 3 installed yet.

Here's what I did:

1. On the computer that is experiencing the error: Go to C:\Program
Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\MODI. Inside
is a folder called 11.0.
2. Rename that folder to 11.0new (or whatever you want to call it).
3. Find a computer that does not have service pack 3. Go to C:
\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\MODI and copy the folder
called 11.0
4. Paste the folder 11.0 into C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft
Shared\MODI on the computer that was experiencing problems.

This solved the problem for me.

On Wednesday, December 26, 2007 8:23 PM
Dazed and Confuse wrote:

Re: Microsoft Office Document Imaging Problem after installing SP
How can i do that reset through the registry?

On Wednesday, December 26, 2007 8:41 PM
DazedandConfuse wrote:

Here is the reg hack to fix the issue associate.
Here is the reg hack to fix the issue associate. I created a script to push
this remotely to a list of computers:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.tif]
"Content Type"="image/tiff"
"PerceivedType"="image"
@="MSPaper.Document"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.tif\MSPaper.Document]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.tif\MSPaper.Document\ShellNew]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.tif\OpenWithList]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.tif\OpenWithList\MSPVIEW.EXE]
@=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.tif\OpenWithProgids]
"TIFImage.Document"=hex(0):

Just copy and paste this in to a text file and save with a name of your
choice, change the extention to .reg and your good to go.

"Cherianjms@gmail.com" wrote:

On Thursday, February 28, 2008 4:00 PM
SirBrianThe Lio wrote:

Thanks!
Thanks! This was the best advice I found anywhere. I found the old office
version on another computer and did exactly what was suggested and things
work just fine now. Note: I actually made another copy of the old 11.0
folder and renamed it "OLD 11.0 - USE TO FIX ERROR" and then put that folder
in the MODI folder. That way if Microsoft Update does mess up the files in
the 11.0 folder again, I can just go back to the MODI folder and copy the old
files back into the 11.0 folder again.

"Cherianjms@gmail.com" wrote:

On Saturday, May 03, 2008 7:04 PM
rsc wrote:

Ann absolutly has the work around. Search for the old (2003) Msview.exe.
Ann absolutly has the work around. Search for the old (2003) Msview.exe.
It will probably be in a cache some place. Use that
Ann;3287761 Wrote:

--
rsc
rsc's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=48129

http://forums.techarena.in

On Sunday, May 04, 2008 10:23 AM
rsc wrote:

Actually, the msview will get it working, however, part of it would beimpaired
Actually, the msview will get it working, however, part of it would be
impaired this way. Whenever one tries to reinstall if SP3 has been
installed, the SP3 version will be installed instead of original.
However, I got it working again in its new form (for now) by running
repair out of Word (not the install disk), it replaced the msview with
the 2007 version and seems to have fixed the registry entries. The root
cause and its appropriate fix still remains a mystery. I do know the
problem came after I made an annotation using the updated version and
tried to make it permenant. That's when it started to screw up and
cause problems. I hestitate to make an annotation and try to make it
permenent for that reason now!

--
rsc
rsc's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=48129
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=841816

http://forums.techarena.in

On Tuesday, June 03, 2008 9:43 PM
sok69 wrote:

I have just had that error pop up today. It worked - scanned fine thismorning.
I have just had that error pop up today. It worked - scanned fine this
morning. Then I went ahead and set up the FAX Console using the Fax
Wizard on my machine. Then later went to scan something and got this
error for the first time. So, right after installing the Fax Console
using the Fax Wizard is when I started getting the MSPView.exe error
(after opening up the program and clicking on File). I hope this
little bit more of information can be used to help narrow down the
problem and find a fix.

--
sok69
sok69's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=50935
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=841816

http://forums.techarena.in

On Wednesday, December 17, 2008 10:39 AM
azquang wrote:

Fix this error
This error appeared because of long file name in recently *.TIFF file you have opened.

The solution for this error that you have to open 4 to 5 or more *.TIFF files with short file name.

Click file menu, it works as normal.

I don't know why MSFT have not fixed this error yet.

On Wednesday, December 17, 2008 1:03 PM
Mark-Patiky wrote:

Shenan Stanley is wasting bandwith by not regading the thread, which isvery
Shenan Stanley is wasting bandwith by not regading the thread, which is
very specific! Thanks Shenan for the useless lecture about what the
newsgroup is oriented toward.

The issue by the way has NOTHING to do with the reply about long file
names to which Shenan was responding. It has to do with file changes
that SP3 so "helpfully" made.

The Microsoft Imaging issue is related to a major screwup with the new
2007 files, which SP3 included. Simply replace them with the original
2003 files found on the Office 2003 CD (M4561414.CAB) Extract the files
and replace everything in the MODI\11 folder.

I'm just an ordinary computer user - not a techie or an MS-MVT and I
figured it out.

--
Mark-Patiky
Mark-Patiky's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/mark-patiky.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

On Thursday, January 29, 2009 3:59 PM
M C wrote:

fDebug: 0 Offset: 00016537
re error

fDebug: 0 Offset: 00016537

The problem seems to be when you click on File in the top menu. the program then tries to fill the four most recent files opened. If one of these files are corrupt inaccessible (for example on a flash disk or DVD that has been removed) then the program cannot list it. The program crashes and you get this error. Try it.

A simple cure without steping back software or fiddling with registry values is :

Run search for *.tif files (*= wild card) and then double click on 4 of them to open them. After that there should be no problems opening Microsoft Doccument Imaging.

The problem reoccured when I opened up a tif file that was

'embedded'
in a word doccument. for some reason that file cannot be accessed / listed in the last 4 files opened on mspview.exe.

After opening up the embedded tif file I had to re open 4 different .tif files to reuse the Microsoft Office Document Imaging

On Thursday, March 05, 2009 11:12 AM
rsc wrote:

As an added pointThe tif files would open in MODI but the mdi files would not.
As an added point

The tif files would open in MODI but the mdi files would not. Today I
made and ran the vbs script file mentioned in the KB article at
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/938813
and now I can double click on a mdi file and it works. I don't know if
the annotation part still screws up a file but I do know that repairing
from Word or control panel has got me working again and with this double
click ability it seems to be back to normal. (Wonder if the reference to
Hive in the kb article means it will prevent it from happening again?)

rsc;3711524 Wrote:

--
rsc
rsc's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/rsc.htm
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/windows-update/841816.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

On Tuesday, March 31, 2009 11:56 AM
MailB wrote:

Ann's fix worked for me!
Ann's fix worked for me!

--
MailB
MailB's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/86533.htm
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/windows-update/841816.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

On Thursday, June 18, 2009 8:39 AM
Hermie wrote:

It fixed the problem for me
You are required to be a member to post replies. After logging in or becoming a member, you will be redirected back to this page.

BizTalk Repeating Structures Table Looping and Table Extract
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials...g-structu.aspx

Re: Document Imaging problem after applying Office 2003 sp3
RottenEggHeadCafe strikes again...