I thought I should post what may be errors in a MS KB (MicroSoft
KnowledgeBase) article to fix WU (Windows Update).
//-----------Background : I tried to fix my problem
I can not access the MS WU (Windows Update) website without getting a blank
So I tried the fix in KB 971058 which as four different ways to fix the
I tried them all (All four 'fixes' - as enumerated below) without success.
Note below - I call 1.a and 1.b 'lobotomies' for the sake of brevity herein.
 MS KB 971058 has 4 'fixes' as follows.
(a) FixIt 50202 - Mode default
(b) FixIt 50202 - Mode agressive
(c) WU minor lobotomy - Without 'step 4'
(d) WU major lobotomy - With 'step 4' (reset BITS and WUAU security
 I tryed 1.a and 1.b previously - both failed.
 I tryed 1.c and 1.d which both failed (with some anomalies as follows.)
In doing this I found (what appear to be) errors in the KB 971058
//-----------Errors : The document seems incorrect in the following
Error_01 : Step 4.a - SVCHOST.EXE prevents CatRoot2 rename via locked files
(a) tmp.edb and (b) edb.log
Error_02 : Step 4.b - Resetting service security descriptors prevents their
activation in step 9.
Error_03 : Step 6.0 - regsvr32.exe mshtml.dll : MSHTML.DLL has no
registration point (lacks DllRegisterServer)
Error_04 : Step 7.0 - NETSH has no 'reset' command as in 'netsh reset
Error_05 : Step 9.0 - services now have a 'different' security descriptor
and can not be accessed.
//-----------Failures : I also had other 'runtime' errors in fix 1.d above
Failure_01 : Step 6.0 - Registration of QMGR.DLL failed - Return code was
Failure_02 : Step 6.0 - Registration of WUAUENG.DLL failed - Return code was
Failure_03 : Step 9.0 - Service restart failure : Access denied
//-----------My System :
OS-------: Windows XP - Version: 5.01.2600 Service Pack 3
Browser--: IE (Internet Explorer) - Version 8.0.6001.18702 - Build 86001
AntiVir--: Microsoft Security Essentials Version: 1.0.1961.0
Firewall-: MS Firewall
Microsoft Security Essentials Version: 1.0.1961.0
Antimalware Client Version: 2.1.6519.0
Engine Version: 1.1.5605.0
Antivirus definitions: 1.79.953.0
Antispyware definitions: 1.79.953.0
Error_02 above caused me to reset my system back to a previous restore point
to reset the security descriptors.
DEFINITELY NOT THE THING TO DO (Step 4.a).
If anyone has an idea of how I could be doing something wrong please let me
If not, hopefully MS (MicroSoft) can verify wheater or not the KB 971058
article has errors.