MS KB 971058 - reset WU components - may have errors in KB documen

MrSoftware

MS KB 971058 - reset WU components - may have errors in KB documen
I thought I should post what may be errors in a MS KB (MicroSoft
KnowledgeBase) article to fix WU (Windows Update).

//-----------Background : I tried to fix my problem

I can not access the MS WU (Windows Update) website without getting a blank
page.

http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com

So I tried the fix in KB 971058 which as four different ways to fix the
problem.

I tried them all (All four 'fixes' - as enumerated below) without success.

Note below - I call 1.a and 1.b 'lobotomies' for the sake of brevity herein.

[1] MS KB 971058 has 4 'fixes' as follows.

(a) FixIt 50202 - Mode default
(b) FixIt 50202 - Mode agressive
(c) WU minor lobotomy - Without 'step 4'
(d) WU major lobotomy - With 'step 4' (reset BITS and WUAU security
descriptors)

[2] I tryed 1.a and 1.b previously - both failed.

[3] I tryed 1.c and 1.d which both failed (with some anomalies as follows.)

In doing this I found (what appear to be) errors in the KB 971058

//-----------Errors : The document seems incorrect in the following

Error_01 : Step 4.a - SVCHOST.EXE prevents CatRoot2 rename via locked files
(a) tmp.edb and (b) edb.log

Error_02 : Step 4.b - Resetting service security descriptors prevents their
activation in step 9.

Error_03 : Step 6.0 - regsvr32.exe mshtml.dll : MSHTML.DLL has no
registration point (lacks DllRegisterServer)

Error_04 : Step 7.0 - NETSH has no 'reset' command as in 'netsh reset
winsock'

Error_05 : Step 9.0 - services now have a 'different' security descriptor
and can not be accessed.

//-----------Failures : I also had other 'runtime' errors in fix 1.d above

Failure_01 : Step 6.0 - Registration of QMGR.DLL failed - Return code was
0x80070431

Failure_02 : Step 6.0 - Registration of WUAUENG.DLL failed - Return code was
0x80070005

Failure_03 : Step 9.0 - Service restart failure : Access denied

//-----------My System :

OS-------: Windows XP - Version: 5.01.2600 Service Pack 3
Browser--: IE (Internet Explorer) - Version 8.0.6001.18702 - Build 86001
AntiVir--: Microsoft Security Essentials Version: 1.0.1961.0
Firewall-: MS Firewall

Microsoft Security Essentials Version: 1.0.1961.0
Antimalware Client Version: 2.1.6519.0
Engine Version: 1.1.5605.0
Antivirus definitions: 1.79.953.0
Antispyware definitions: 1.79.953.0

//-----------Help!!! :

Error_02 above caused me to reset my system back to a previous restore point
to reset the security descriptors.

DEFINITELY NOT THE THING TO DO (Step 4.a).

If anyone has an idea of how I could be doing something wrong please let me
know.

If not, hopefully MS (MicroSoft) can verify wheater or not the KB 971058
article has errors.

MowGreen

Re: MS KB 971058 - reset WU components - may have errors in KB documen
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058

Scroll all the way to the bottom of the above page.
See where it states " Provide feedback on this information " ?

Do so and let MS know why you think that the Fixit information is
incorrect and that it failed to resolve the updating issue on your XP
SP3 system.

Some questions:

1) What was the installed antivirus/security suite prior to the
installation of MSE ?

2) When the previous security software (AV/Sec suite) was uninstalled
did you run a removal tool to ensure that all remnants of were no longer
present ?

3) Have you tried downloading the Fixit, saving it, then configuring XP
to Clean Boot, and then run the Fixit in it's Aggressive mode ?

4) When IE 8 was installed, what was the installed AV/Sec suite and was
it actively monitoring the system with real time protection, shields, or
services ?

MowGreen
================
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
================

banthecheck.com

@Mow: See
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...75d04e6bef024f,
especially/primarily #11, #12, & #13.
--
~BroBear

PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
> @Mow: See
> http://groups.google.com/group/micro...75d04e6bef024f,
> especially/primarily #11, #12, & #13.

Since I can't access the MSKB today ... I withdraw any previous suggestions.

MowGreen
================
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
================

banthecheck.com
MrSoftware

Re: MS KB 971058 - reset WU components - may have errors in KB doc
I'll input my testing results on the MS page you mention after some more
testing.

[1] AVG - latest updates as of Mid-March

I noticed some things were detected by MSE that were not detected by AVG.

[2] Yes - I used (a) Revo Uninstaller V 1.95 and (b) Eusing Free Registry
Cleaner V 2.6

So I belive any residue (from AVG) was cleaned out.

[3] I can't remember (I've a ton of stuff on this one).

I'll try the fixits under a 'clean boot'. For now I've 'stripped down' my
system so almost nothing comes up during the OS startup.

[4] I re-installed IE and that actually caused the primary problem (WU site
blank page) I have now (If I remember correctly). This was only 2 weeks ago
and at the time (of install) I had only MS tools running - (a) MSE -
Microsoft Security Essentails and (b) MS Firewall.

"MowGreen" wrote:

> [...]
> > AntiVir--: Microsoft Security Essentials Version: 1.0.1961.0
> > Firewall-: MS Firewall
> >
> > Microsoft Security Essentials Version: 1.0.1961.0
> > Antimalware Client Version: 2.1.6519.0
> > Engine Version: 1.1.5605.0
> > Antivirus definitions: 1.79.953.0
> > Antispyware definitions: 1.79.953.0
> >
> > //-----------Help!!! :
> >
> > Error_02 above caused me to reset my system back to a previous restore point
> > to reset the security descriptors.
> >
> > DEFINITELY NOT THE THING TO DO (Step 4.a).
> >
> > If anyone has an idea of how I could be doing something wrong please let me
> > know.
> >
> > If not, hopefully MS (MicroSoft) can verify wheater or not the KB 971058
> > article has errors.
> >

> .

Re: MS KB 971058 - reset WU components - may have errors in KB documen
Make that:

See
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...75d04e6bef024f

Especially/primarily posts #11, #12, & #13.

http://groups.google.com/group/micro...0a0e97ff321aff

MrSoftware wrote:
> [...]
>>>
>>> //-----------My System :
>>>
>>> OS-------: Windows XP - Version: 5.01.2600 Service Pack 3
>>> Browser--: IE (Internet Explorer) - Version 8.0.6001.18702 - Build
>>> 86001
>>> AntiVir--: Microsoft Security Essentials Version: 1.0.1961.0
>>> Firewall-: MS Firewall
>>>
>>> Microsoft Security Essentials Version: 1.0.1961.0
>>> Antimalware Client Version: 2.1.6519.0
>>> Engine Version: 1.1.5605.0
>>> Antivirus definitions: 1.79.953.0
>>> Antispyware definitions: 1.79.953.0
>>>
>>> //-----------Help!!! :
>>>
>>> Error_02 above caused me to reset my system back to a previous restore
>>> point to reset the security descriptors.
>>>
>>> DEFINITELY NOT THE THING TO DO (Step 4.a).
>>>
>>> If anyone has an idea of how I could be doing something wrong please let
>>> me know.
>>>
>>> If not, hopefully MS (MicroSoft) can verify wheater or not the KB 971058

MrSoftware

Re: MS KB 971058 - reset WU components - may have errors in KB doc
Sorry it took so long to work on this.

[1] Initially I mis-understood 'clean boot' to mean 'safe boot'.

FixIt 50202 would not install in 'safe boot' mode - WU services not active
if safe boot.

[2] Tryed FixIt 50202 under a 'clean boot', in aggressive mode, and it
installed OK.

(A) Your advice to another user for MS Article ID 310353 is what really
helped me.

I realized, after reading 310353, what 'clean boot' is an went through the
50202 process.

(b) FixIt 50202 did NOT fix the problem - A blank page comes up for MS WU
site.

(c) I did put some feedback on the KB 971058 as you mentioned.

[3] I used AVG free edition (latest as of Feb 2010) with a ZoneAlarm firewall.

[4] I re-installed IE8 AFTER I installed MicroSoft Security Essentials (MSSE).

Thanks tons for you input.

I am know going through the WindowsUpdate.log to better determine next steps
to solve this.

"MowGreen" wrote:

> [...]
> >
> > //-----------My System :
> >
> > OS-------: Windows XP - Version: 5.01.2600 Service Pack 3
> > Browser--: IE (Internet Explorer) - Version 8.0.6001.18702 - Build 86001
> > AntiVir--: Microsoft Security Essentials Version: 1.0.1961.0
> > Firewall-: MS Firewall
> >
> > Microsoft Security Essentials Version: 1.0.1961.0
> > Antimalware Client Version: 2.1.6519.0
> > Engine Version: 1.1.5605.0
> > Antivirus definitions: 1.79.953.0
> > Antispyware definitions: 1.79.953.0
> >
> > //-----------Help!!! :
> >
> > Error_02 above caused me to reset my system back to a previous restore point
> > to reset the security descriptors.
> >
> > DEFINITELY NOT THE THING TO DO (Step 4.a).
> >
> > If anyone has an idea of how I could be doing something wrong please let me
> > know.
> >
> > If not, hopefully MS (MicroSoft) can verify wheater or not the KB 971058

MrSoftware

Re: MS KB 971058 - reset WU components - may have errors in KB doc
I reviewed all the material on the links you provided.

I wont be trying a 'backup' and then 'format' with 'clean install' any time
soon.

I may try a 'transfer wizard' of the system to a Windows 7 machine (also not
right now).

I'm going to hammer away at the problem a little more with the additional
verifiers(VirusTrust.com), rootkit scanners and other approaches mentioned in
this forum.

Thanks ever so much for your excellent advice and help!!!

PS. I will install the KB 971029 - Update for AutoPlay functionality -
Thanks again.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> See
> http://groups.google.com/group/micro...0a0e97ff321aff
>

> MrSoftware wrote:
> > I'll input my testing results on the MS page you mention after some more
> > testing.
> >
> > [1] AVG - latest updates as of Mid-March
> >
> > I noticed some things were detected by MSE that were not detected by AVG.
> >
> > [2] Yes - I used (a) Revo Uninstaller V 1.95 and (b) Eusing Free Registry
> > Cleaner V 2.6
> >
> > So I belive any residue (from AVG) was cleaned out.
> >
> > [3] I can't remember (I've a ton of stuff on this one).
> >
> > I'll try the fixits under a 'clean boot'. For now I've 'stripped down' my
> > system so almost nothing comes up during the OS startup.
> >
> > [4] I re-installed IE and that actually caused the primary problem (WU
> > site
> > blank page) I have now (If I remember correctly). This was only 2 weeks
> > ago
> > and at the time (of install) I had only MS tools running - (a) MSE -
> > Microsoft Security Essentails and (b) MS Firewall.
> >
> > "MowGreen" wrote:
> >
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058
> >>
> >> Scroll all the way to the bottom of the above page.
> >> See where it states " Provide feedback on this information " ?
> >>
> >> Do so and let MS know why you think that the Fixit information is
> >> incorrect and that it failed to resolve the updating issue on your XP
> >> SP3 system.
> >>
> >> Some questions:
> >>
> >> 1) What was the installed antivirus/security suite prior to the
> >> installation of MSE ?
> >>
> >> 2) When the previous security software (AV/Sec suite) was uninstalled
> >> did you run a removal tool to ensure that all remnants of were no longer
> >> present ?
> >>
> >> 3) Have you tried downloading the Fixit, saving it, then configuring XP
> >> to Clean Boot, and then run the Fixit in it's Aggressive mode ?
> >>
> >> 4) When IE 8 was installed, what was the installed AV/Sec suite and was
> >> it actively monitoring the system with real time protection, shields, or
> >> services ?
> >>

> >> MowGreen
> >> ================
> >> *-343-* FDNY
> >> Never Forgotten
> >>
> >> banthecheck.com

> >> .

> .

Re: MS KB 971058 - reset WU components - may have errors in KB doc
> I may try a 'transfer wizard' of the system to a Windows 7 machine

....and possibly infect the Win7 computer in the process? Not a very wise
move IMHO.