Bad certificate on MS Windows Update sites

MrSoftware

Bad certificate on MS Windows Update sites
I pulled up the following MS site via IE 8 - Version 8.0.6001.18702 - Build
86001.

https://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com
https://v5.windowsupdate.microsoft.com

I received the error message:

There is a problem with this website's security certificate

The problem is I had just 'updated' my Microsoft Trust Certificate
via the process.

1. In Control Panel, open Add or Remove Programs
2. Click Add/Remove Windows Components.
3. Select the Update Root Certificates check box.
4. Click Next, and then click Finish.

So I have the following questions.

[1] Is there another (better) tool to view and update Microsoft Trust
Certificates?
[2] Is https://v5.windowsupdate.microsoft.com a valid Microsoft site?
[3] Is https://v3.windowsupdate.microsoft.com a valid Microsoft site?
[4] Is https://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com a valid Microsoft site?

If the Sites above are valid is there a Microsoft web page that explains the
difference?

The certificate for the following website seemed OK - and the website
installed the WUWEB active X control.

https://v3.windowsupdate.microsoft.com

Thanks so much ahead of time.

After scouring the Internet I think I'm not alone with the above issue.

Re: Bad certificate on MS Windows Update sites
Vista SP1; Vista 64-bit SP2; Win7; Win7 64-bit) when posting in a forum or
newsgroup. Please do so in your next reply.

Assuming some flavor of Vista or Win7, why are you opening IE to
https://windowsupdate.microsoft.com in the first place?

MrSoftware wrote:
> I pulled up the following MS site via IE 8 - Version 8.0.6001.18702 -
> Build
> 86001.
>
> https://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com
> https://v5.windowsupdate.microsoft.com
>
> I received the error message:
>
> There is a problem with this website's security certificate
>
> The problem is I had just 'updated' my Microsoft Trust Certificate
> via the process.
>
> 1. In Control Panel, open Add or Remove Programs
> 2. Click Add/Remove Windows Components.
> 3. Select the Update Root Certificates check box.
> 4. Click Next, and then click Finish.
>
> So I have the following questions.
>
> [1] Is there another (better) tool to view and update Microsoft Trust
> Certificates?
> [2] Is https://v5.windowsupdate.microsoft.com a valid Microsoft site?
> [3] Is https://v3.windowsupdate.microsoft.com a valid Microsoft site?
> [4] Is https://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com a valid Microsoft site?
>
> If the Sites above are valid is there a Microsoft web page that explains
> the
> difference?
>
> The certificate for the following website seemed OK - and the website
> installed the WUWEB active X control.
>
> https://v3.windowsupdate.microsoft.com
>
> Thanks so much ahead of time.
>
> After scouring the Internet I think I'm not alone with the above issue.

MrSoftware

Re: Bad certificate on MS Windows Update sites
OS: Windows XP
Version: 5.01.2600 Service Pack 3

Testing the following MS WU websites.

1 http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com