IE 8 - Manage Addons - Does not have WuWeb Active X control listed

MrSoftware

IE 8 - Manage Addons - Does not have WuWeb Active X control listed
Does anyone know how to (1) download and (2) reinstall the WuWeb active X
control?

My IE 8 - Version 8.0.6001.18702 - Build 86001

Thanks ahead of time :-)

//-------------------------------

Just FYI and background info is below.

I opened an MS support case (SRX1057345742) on a Windows Update problem
(XP SP3 - March 2010 all updates except one).

There was an update (Rights Management Services Client : KB979099) that
would NOT install (all other MS updates installed fine).

Of the many 'fixes' we tried none worked. Eventually Windows Update started
to 'break down'. I'm just trying to bring back the Windows update page.

Currently, when I try IE 8 - Windows Update - I just get a blank page on;

http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com

C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files

Discovered files A9Helper.A9
HidInputMonitorX Control
WuWebControl Class

Re: IE 8 - Manage Addons - Does not have WuWeb Active X control listed
So you stated your full Windows version in this post, I see.

What third-party firewall (if any)?

it)?

MrSoftware wrote:
> Does anyone know how to (1) download and (2) reinstall the WuWeb active X
> control?
>
> My IE 8 - Version 8.0.6001.18702 - Build 86001
>
> Thanks ahead of time :-)
>
> //-------------------------------
>
> Just FYI and background info is below.
>
> I opened an MS support case (SRX1057345742) on a Windows Update problem
> (XP SP3 - March 2010 all updates except one).
>
> There was an update (Rights Management Services Client : KB979099) that
> would NOT install (all other MS updates installed fine).
>
> Of the many 'fixes' we tried none worked. Eventually Windows Update
> started
> to 'break down'. I'm just trying to bring back the Windows update page.
>
> Currently, when I try IE 8 - Windows Update - I just get a blank page on;
>
> http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com
>

> C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files
>

> Discovered files A9Helper.A9
> HidInputMonitorX Control
> WuWebControl Class

Ǝиçεl

RE: IE 8 - Manage Addons - Does not have WuWeb Active X control listed

Test this WGA diagnose test, connection to MS, that scripts working.
<http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/diag/>

Ǝиçεl
◕‿◕
-=-

"MrSoftware" wrote:

> Does anyone know how to (1) download and (2) reinstall the WuWeb active X
> control?
>
> My IE 8 - Version 8.0.6001.18702 - Build 86001
>
> Thanks ahead of time :-)
>
> //-------------------------------
>
> Just FYI and background info is below.
>
> I opened an MS support case (SRX1057345742) on a Windows Update problem
> (XP SP3 - March 2010 all updates except one).
>
> There was an update (Rights Management Services Client : KB979099) that
> would NOT install (all other MS updates installed fine).
>
> Of the many 'fixes' we tried none worked. Eventually Windows Update started
> to 'break down'. I'm just trying to bring back the Windows update page.
>
> Currently, when I try IE 8 - Windows Update - I just get a blank page on;
>
> http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com
>

> C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files
>

> Discovered files A9Helper.A9
> HidInputMonitorX Control
> WuWebControl Class

MrSoftware

Re: IE 8 - Manage Addons - Does not have WuWeb Active X control li
[1] I'm using (a) 'MS Windows Security Essentials' (MS-WSE) and (b) MS
Windows Firewall.

I normally run ZoneAlarm (firewall) and AVG (Virus checker) but uninstalled
them for the above MS solutions inorder to fix some problems with MS
(MicroSoft) WU (Windows Update).

The whole system was scanned (via MS-WSE) just before I started to get some
problems with MS WU.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> So you stated your full Windows version in this post, I see.

> What third-party firewall (if any)?

> computer (e.g., a free-trial version that came preinstalled when you bought
> it)?
>

> MrSoftware wrote:
> > Does anyone know how to (1) download and (2) reinstall the WuWeb active X
> > control?
> >
> > My IE 8 - Version 8.0.6001.18702 - Build 86001
> >
> > Thanks ahead of time :-)
> >
> > //-------------------------------
> >
> > Just FYI and background info is below.
> >
> > I opened an MS support case (SRX1057345742) on a Windows Update problem
> > (XP SP3 - March 2010 all updates except one).
> >
> > There was an update (Rights Management Services Client : KB979099) that
> > would NOT install (all other MS updates installed fine).
> >
> > Of the many 'fixes' we tried none worked. Eventually Windows Update
> > started
> > to 'break down'. I'm just trying to bring back the Windows update page.
> >
> > Currently, when I try IE 8 - Windows Update - I just get a blank page on;
> >
> > http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com
> >

> > C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files
> >

> > Discovered files A9Helper.A9
> > HidInputMonitorX Control
> > WuWebControl Class

> .

MrSoftware

RE: IE 8 - Manage Addons - Does not have WuWeb Active X control listed
Well, I did some checking on this.

[1] To get the 'new' wuweb.dll I downloaded and installed the latest version
of WUA (Windows Update Agent) from the following url.

WSUS is currently distributing version WUA 7.4.7600.226

x86:
http://download.windowsupdate.com/wi...gent30-x86.exe

x64:
http://download.windowsupdate.com/wi...gent30-x64.exe

Itanium:
http://download.windowsupdate.com/wi...ent30-ia64.exe

I installed x86 and verified it.

So I now have the latest version of wuweb.dll (as far as I know).

"MrSoftware" wrote:

> Does anyone know how to (1) download and (2) reinstall the WuWeb active X
> control?
>
> My IE 8 - Version 8.0.6001.18702 - Build 86001
>
> Thanks ahead of time :-)
>
> //-------------------------------
>
> Just FYI and background info is below.
>
> I opened an MS support case (SRX1057345742) on a Windows Update problem
> (XP SP3 - March 2010 all updates except one).
>
> There was an update (Rights Management Services Client : KB979099) that
> would NOT install (all other MS updates installed fine).
>
> Of the many 'fixes' we tried none worked. Eventually Windows Update started
> to 'break down'. I'm just trying to bring back the Windows update page.
>
> Currently, when I try IE 8 - Windows Update - I just get a blank page on;
>
> http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com
>

> C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files
>

> Discovered files A9Helper.A9
> HidInputMonitorX Control
> WuWebControl Class

MrSoftware

RE: IE 8 - Manage Addons - Does not have WuWeb Active X control li

[1] Tested system via 'Microsoft Genuine Advantage – Diagnostic Site'
(MGA-DS) at url;

http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/diag/

(a) And it installed the 'Validation Self-help ActiveX loaded'
(b) All the tests from the MGA-DS ran and passed except for...
(c) The 'Windows validation ActiveX loaded' test never completed (over 14
minuets and still no complete)
(d) I shutdown the machine, rebooted, and re-ran the test.
(e) The 'Windows validation ActiveX loaded' test never completed (over 14
minuets and still no complete)

The XP OS is 'genuine' and has gone through other 'genuine' tests before -
no problem.

"Ǝиçεl" wrote:

> Test this WGA diagnose test, connection to MS, that scripts working.
> <http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/diag/>
>

> Ǝиçεl
> ◕‿◕
> -=-
>
> "MrSoftware" wrote:
>
> > Does anyone know how to (1) download and (2) reinstall the WuWeb active X
> > control?
> >
> > My IE 8 - Version 8.0.6001.18702 - Build 86001
> >
> > Thanks ahead of time :-)
> >
> > //-------------------------------
> >
> > Just FYI and background info is below.
> >
> > I opened an MS support case (SRX1057345742) on a Windows Update problem
> > (XP SP3 - March 2010 all updates except one).
> >
> > There was an update (Rights Management Services Client : KB979099) that
> > would NOT install (all other MS updates installed fine).
> >
> > Of the many 'fixes' we tried none worked. Eventually Windows Update started
> > to 'break down'. I'm just trying to bring back the Windows update page.
> >
> > Currently, when I try IE 8 - Windows Update - I just get a blank page on;
> >
> > http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com
> >

> > C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files
> >

> > Discovered files A9Helper.A9
> > HidInputMonitorX Control
> > WuWebControl Class

MrSoftware

RE: IE 8 - Manage Addons - Does not have WuWeb Active X control li
Note : I still do not seem to have the WuWeb ActiveX control coming up in the
IE 8 'Manage Addons' list.

I hope I am understanding the 'Manage Addons' list correctly.
I see the newly installed 'SelfHelpControl.DLL' (MS Genuine Advantage SS
tool).

But I do not see the 'WuWeb' ActiveX control.

"MrSoftware" wrote:

> Well, I did some checking on this.
>
> [1] To get the 'new' wuweb.dll I downloaded and installed the latest version
> of WUA (Windows Update Agent) from the following url.
>
> WSUS is currently distributing version WUA 7.4.7600.226
>
> x86:
> http://download.windowsupdate.com/wi...gent30-x86.exe
>
> x64:
> http://download.windowsupdate.com/wi...gent30-x64.exe
>
> Itanium:
> http://download.windowsupdate.com/wi...ent30-ia64.exe
>
> I installed x86 and verified it.
>
> So I now have the latest version of wuweb.dll (as far as I know).
>
> "MrSoftware" wrote:
>
> > Does anyone know how to (1) download and (2) reinstall the WuWeb active X
> > control?
> >
> > My IE 8 - Version 8.0.6001.18702 - Build 86001
> >
> > Thanks ahead of time :-)
> >
> > //-------------------------------
> >
> > Just FYI and background info is below.
> >
> > I opened an MS support case (SRX1057345742) on a Windows Update problem
> > (XP SP3 - March 2010 all updates except one).
> >
> > There was an update (Rights Management Services Client : KB979099) that
> > would NOT install (all other MS updates installed fine).
> >
> > Of the many 'fixes' we tried none worked. Eventually Windows Update started
> > to 'break down'. I'm just trying to bring back the Windows update page.
> >
> > Currently, when I try IE 8 - Windows Update - I just get a blank page on;
> >
> > http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com
> >

> > C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files
> >

> > Discovered files A9Helper.A9
> > HidInputMonitorX Control
> > WuWebControl Class

Re: IE 8 - Manage Addons - Does not have WuWeb Active X control li
Repost: Has a Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on the
it)?

So the Windows Update problem started when you had AVG installed: What
exactly was the problem (e.g., 0x8DDD0004 or other errors) and did you ever
get it resolved?

Are you having any other problems (e.g., search redirects; "Page cannot be
displayed" errors; cannot open Task Manager, Regedit, or Internet Options)?

Is Automatic Updates enabled? If not, can you enable it, reboot, and then
find it's still enabled?

Is *Microsoft* Security Essentials automatically updating itself at least
one every 24 hours?

Can you access & update manually via http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com (not
any other link)? [I know you may have answered this in another thread but
I'd like you to answer it in this thread, too.]

Have you tried doing a Reset yet? => http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058
[Tip: Run the Fix It in Default and Aggressive modes, if necessary.]
--
~PA Bear

MrSoftware wrote:
> I'm using (a) 'MS Windows Security Essentials' (MS-WSE) and (b) MS
> Windows Firewall.
>
> I normally run ZoneAlarm (firewall) and AVG (Virus checker) but
> uninstalled
> them for the above MS solutions inorder to fix some problems with MS
> (MicroSoft) WU (Windows Update).
>
> The whole system was scanned (via MS-WSE) just before I started to get
> some
> problems with MS WU.
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>> So you stated your full Windows version in this post, I see.

>> bought
>> it)?
>>

>> MrSoftware wrote:
>>> Does anyone know how to (1) download and (2) reinstall the WuWeb active
>>> control?
>>>
>>> My IE 8 - Version 8.0.6001.18702 - Build 86001
>>>
>>> Thanks ahead of time :-)
>>>
>>> //-------------------------------
>>>
>>> Just FYI and background info is below.
>>>
>>> I opened an MS support case (SRX1057345742) on a Windows Update problem
>>> (XP SP3 - March 2010 all updates except one).
>>>
>>> There was an update (Rights Management Services Client : KB979099) that
>>> would NOT install (all other MS updates installed fine).
>>>
>>> Of the many 'fixes' we tried none worked. Eventually Windows Update
>>> started
>>> to 'break down'. I'm just trying to bring back the Windows update page.
>>>
>>> Currently, when I try IE 8 - Windows Update - I just get a blank page
>>> on;
>>>
>>> http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com
>>>

>>> C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files
>>>

>>> Discovered files A9Helper.A9
>>> HidInputMonitorX Control
>>> WuWebControl Class

>> .

williamtell

Re: IE 8 - Manage Addons - Does not have WuWeb Active X control li
Try this:
Click tools>internet options>general tab/settings>yiew objects
Do you see/ WUWebControlClass?

"MrSoftware" <MrSoftware@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Note : I still do not seem to have the WuWeb ActiveX control coming up in
> the
> IE 8 'Manage Addons' list.
>
> I hope I am understanding the 'Manage Addons' list correctly.
> I see the newly installed 'SelfHelpControl.DLL' (MS Genuine Advantage SS
> tool).
>
> But I do not see the 'WuWeb' ActiveX control.
>
> "MrSoftware" wrote:
>
>> Well, I did some checking on this.
>>
>> [1] To get the 'new' wuweb.dll I downloaded and installed the latest
>> version
>> of WUA (Windows Update Agent) from the following url.
>>
>> WSUS is currently distributing version WUA 7.4.7600.226
>>
>> x86:
>> http://download.windowsupdate.com/wi...gent30-x86.exe
>>
>> x64:
>> http://download.windowsupdate.com/wi...gent30-x64.exe
>>
>> Itanium:
>> http://download.windowsupdate.com/wi...ent30-ia64.exe
>>
>> I installed x86 and verified it.
>>
>> So I now have the latest version of wuweb.dll (as far as I know).
>>
>> "MrSoftware" wrote:
>>
>> > Does anyone know how to (1) download and (2) reinstall the WuWeb active
>> > control?
>> >
>> > My IE 8 - Version 8.0.6001.18702 - Build 86001
>> >
>> > Thanks ahead of time :-)
>> >
>> > //-------------------------------
>> >
>> > Just FYI and background info is below.
>> >
>> > I opened an MS support case (SRX1057345742) on a Windows Update problem
>> > (XP SP3 - March 2010 all updates except one).
>> >
>> > There was an update (Rights Management Services Client : KB979099) that
>> > would NOT install (all other MS updates installed fine).
>> >
>> > Of the many 'fixes' we tried none worked. Eventually Windows Update
>> > started
>> > to 'break down'. I'm just trying to bring back the Windows update page.
>> >
>> > Currently, when I try IE 8 - Windows Update - I just get a blank page
>> > on;
>> >
>> > http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com
>> >

>> > C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files
>> >

>> > Discovered files A9Helper.A9
>> > HidInputMonitorX Control
>> > WuWebControl Class

williamtell

Re: IE 8 - Manage Addons - Does not have WuWeb Active X control li
BTW,

Windows Update is no more, Microsoft Update is the site now. The add on is
MUWebControlClass, when at Manage Add-ons, click the dropdown>click all
add-ons,
Do you see the MU control?