Run windows update when server first boots up

Andrew Weaver

Run windows update when server first boots up
Is there any command-line or other application I can run that will kickstart
windows update?

I am trying to avoid the manual task of going to the browser, etc.

I'd like it to just go immediately to the downloading/updating part.

Please advise.

thanks,
-Drew

Shenan Stanley

Re: Run windows update when server first boots up
Andrew Weaver wrote:
> Is there any command-line or other application I can run that will
> kickstart windows update?
>
> I am trying to avoid the manual task of going to the browser, etc.
>
> I'd like it to just go immediately to the downloading/updating part.
>
> Please advise.

Operating System?

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Andrew Weaver

Re: Run windows update when server first boots up
All 2k3s and all 2k8s including r2 x86/64.
-Drew

> Andrew Weaver wrote:
>> Is there any command-line or other application I can run that will
>> kickstart windows update?
>>
>> I am trying to avoid the manual task of going to the browser, etc.
>>
>> I'd like it to just go immediately to the downloading/updating part.
>>
>> Please advise.

> Operating System?
>
> --
> Shenan Stanley
> MS-MVP
> --
> How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Re: Run windows update when server first boots up
How do you know "windows update" doesn't already run at boot?

Andrew Weaver wrote:
> All 2k3s and all 2k8s including r2 x86/64.
> -Drew
>
> "Shenan Stanley" <newshelper@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Andrew Weaver wrote:
>>> Is there any command-line or other application I can run that will
>>> kickstart windows update?
>>>
>>> I am trying to avoid the manual task of going to the browser, etc.
>>>
>>> I'd like it to just go immediately to the downloading/updating part.
>>>
>>> Please advise.

>> Operating System?
>>
>> --
>> Shenan Stanley
>> MS-MVP
>> --
>> How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Harry Johnston [MVP]

On 2010-03-24 7:57 a.m., Andrew Weaver wrote:

> Is there any command-line or other application I can run that will
> kickstart windows update?

I think perhaps you want something like my script:

<http://www.scms.waikato.ac.nz/~harry/wsusupdate.vbs>

http://www.scms.waikato.ac.nz/~harry/wsusupdate.vbs

This downloads and installs all available updates. It's designed for use with
WSUS, but should also work with Windows/Microsoft Update. Note that it is
intended for command-line use (cscript, not wscript) and to be called from
another script or batch file which will check the return code for errors.

Harry.

--
Harry Johnston
http://harryjohnston.wordpress.com
LD55ZRA

Re: Run windows update when server first boots up
Andrew,

If I were you, I would not run that script because Harry Johnson
<harry@scms.waikato.ac.nz> is a convicted paedophilia from New Zealand and
has been outed under Megan's Law. You don't need any manual updates because
your system is good as it is unless you want to destabilize it by installing
all the useless updates which that paedophilia is offering.

You have been warned.

"Harry Johnston [MVP]" <harry@scms.waikato.ac.nz> wrote in message
> On 2010-03-24 7:57 a.m., Andrew Weaver wrote:
>
>> Is there any command-line or other application I can run that will
>> kickstart windows update?

> I think perhaps you want something like my script:
>
> <http://www.scms.waikato.ac.nz/~harry/wsusupdate.vbs>
>
> http://www.scms.waikato.ac.nz/~harry/wsusupdate.vbs
>
> This downloads and installs all available updates. It's designed for use
> with WSUS, but should also work with Windows/Microsoft Update. Note that
> it is intended for command-line use (cscript, not wscript) and to be
> called from another script or batch file which will check the return code
> for errors.
>
> Harry.
>

>> I am trying to avoid the manual task of going to the browser, etc.
>>
>> I'd like it to just go immediately to the downloading/updating part.
>>
>> Please advise.
>>
>> thanks,
>> -Drew
>>

> --
> Harry Johnston
> http://harryjohnston.wordpress.com

Michael

Re: Run windows update when server first boots up
Did your parents have any children that actually lived?.

--

"Don't pick a fight with an old man.

"LD55ZRA" <LD55ZRA@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Andrew,
>
> If I were you, I would not run that script because Harry Johnson
> <harry@scms.waikato.ac.nz> is a convicted paedophilia from New Zealand and
> has been outed under Megan's Law. You don't need any manual updates
> because your system is good as it is unless you want to destabilize it by
> installing all the useless updates which that paedophilia is offering.
>
> You have been warned.
>

> "Harry Johnston [MVP]" <harry@scms.waikato.ac.nz> wrote in message
>> On 2010-03-24 7:57 a.m., Andrew Weaver wrote:
>>
>>> Is there any command-line or other application I can run that will
>>> kickstart windows update?

>> I think perhaps you want something like my script:
>>
>> <http://www.scms.waikato.ac.nz/~harry/wsusupdate.vbs>
>>
>> http://www.scms.waikato.ac.nz/~harry/wsusupdate.vbs
>>
>> This downloads and installs all available updates. It's designed for use
>> with WSUS, but should also work with Windows/Microsoft Update. Note that
>> it is intended for command-line use (cscript, not wscript) and to be
>> called from another script or batch file which will check the return code
>> for errors.
>>
>> Harry.
>>

>>> I am trying to avoid the manual task of going to the browser, etc.
>>>
>>> I'd like it to just go immediately to the downloading/updating part.
>>>
>>> Please advise.
>>>
>>> thanks,
>>> -Drew
>>>

>> --
>> Harry Johnston
>> http://harryjohnston.wordpress.com

Andrew Weaver

Re: Run windows update when server first boots up
Because you have to open Windows update and manually install the new version
of the update agent and then have it scan the system for updates and then
accept the updates that it wants to install?

What do you mean?
> How do you know "windows update" doesn't already run at boot?
>
> Andrew Weaver wrote:
>> All 2k3s and all 2k8s including r2 x86/64.
>> -Drew
>>
>> "Shenan Stanley" <newshelper@gmail.com> wrote in message

>>> Operating System?
>>>
>>> --
>>> Shenan Stanley
>>> MS-MVP
>>> --
>>> How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
>>> http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

Re: Run windows update when server first boots up
Not if Automatic Updates is enabled. See
http://blogs.technet.com/mu/archive/...ws-update.aspx

Update Management Technology
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/u...t/default.aspx