Service Pack 2 download problem for XP

Dan

Service Pack 2 download problem for XP
I just reinstalled Windows Xp and I am trying to download all updates.

I've made 3 attemptsto ownload service pack 2, and I get the error:
0x80070017
--
Dan
Shenan Stanley

Re: Service Pack 2 download problem for XP
Dan wrote:
> I just reinstalled Windows Xp and I am trying to download all
> updates.
>
> I've made 3 attemptsto ownload service pack 2, and I get the error:
> 0x80070017

So you freshly installed Windows XP (Home? Professional? Media Center
Edition? Tablet PC Edition?) and are now trying to install Service Pack 2
for Windows XP (I assume.) Why did you 'reinstall Windows XP'? Hardware
failure?

Did you do a Repair Install (in-place upgrade) of Windows XP or did you
format the HDD & then do a clean install of Windows XP?

If your machine is already at SP1a - you don't need to install SP2 to
install SP3 for Windows XP.

Start button --> RUN
(no "RUN"? Press the "Windows Key" + R on your keyboard)
--> type in:
winver
--> Click OK.

The picture at the top of the window that opens will give you the general
(Operating System name and edition) while the line starting with the word
"version" will give you the rest of the story. Post _both_ in response
to this message verbatim. No paraphrasing - instead - ensure
character-for-character copying. That's the edition (in the top picture)
and the exact version number in detail (the 'version' line.)

What version of Internet Explorer are you currently using? Easy to find
out. Open Internet Explorer and while that is in-focus, press and hold
the "ALT" key on your keyboard. With the "ALT" key still pressed, press
(just once, no holding) the "H" key. Now, with the "ALT" key still
pressed, press (just once, no holding) the "A" key. That will bring up
the "About Internet Explorer" window. It will give you the exact version
you are using - repeat what you see there in response to this message.

How to determine whether a computer is running a 32-bit version or
64-bit version of the Windows operating system
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827218

What AntiVirus application are you using? (Name and exact version, please.)
- Was any flavor of "Norton" products ever installed?
- Was any flavor of "McAfee" products ever installed?

Do you have a third party firewall - or are you using the built-in Windows
firewall?

Do you ever run any antimalware applications? If so - which ones and when
did you scan with them last (full scan, not quick)?

Some have trouble finding the downloads for SP1a, SP2 and SP3 they might
need...

Windows XP SP1a for IT Professionals (it works for anyone really)
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...5-023443E29D78

Windows XP SP2 for IT Professionals (it works for anyone really)
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...5-9E368D3CDB5A

Windows XP Service Pack 3 - ISO-9660 CD Image File
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...0-fe22559d164e

Windows XP Service Pack 3 Network Installation Package for
IT Professionals and Developers (it works for anyone really)
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...8-1E1555D4F3D4

You'll need quite a few updates after SP3.

Tried this?
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058

Please - do come back and reply. This conversation *will* be around for
years to come.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Ǝиçεl

RE: Service Pack 2 download problem for XP
Hello Dan,

0x80070017 -2147024873 ERROR_CRC Data error (cyclic redundancy check).

Files may be corrupt or missing.
-=-

Clean up the system (clearing out all the Temp/Tmp folders, and included all
offline content, clearing the browser TIF, Delete Cookies , do a Disk
CleanUp.
-=-

Try running the "chkdsk /r" command at the command prompt How to perform
disk error checking in Windows XP
<http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315265>
-=-

Run SFC /SCANNOW
System File Checker (SFC) checks that all XP files are where they should be
and that they are uncorrupted.
How to Repair and Verify the Integrity of XP System
Files with System File Checker : SFC /SCANNOW
http://hardwareforu.blogspot.com/200...xp-repair.html
-=-

I hope this post is helpful.

Let us know how it works ºut

Ǝиçεl
©¿©¬
-=-

"Dan" wrote:

> I just reinstalled Windows Xp and I am trying to download all updates.
>
> I've made 3 attemptsto ownload service pack 2, and I get the error:
> 0x80070017
> --
> Dan

Ǝиçεl

RE: Service Pack 2 download problem for XP
XP SP2 CD can be ordered online.
<http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/updates/sp2/cdorder/en_us/default.mspx>

For Service Packs, I prefer to download the full file and then install
offline after preparing the system first.
-=-

Re: Service Pack 2 download problem for XP
> I just reinstalled Windows Xp

Why and how did you do it?

HOW TO get a computer running WinXP Gold (no Service Packs) fully patched
(after a clean install)
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...5afa8ed33e121c

HOW TO get a computer running WinXP SP1(a) or SP2 fully patched (after a
clean install)
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...66ae41add7dd2b

Note: Extended Support for WinXP (x86) SP2 ends on 13 July 2010. After that
date, computers running WinXP (x86) SP2 will NOT be offered any further
critical security updates, Automatic Updates will not work, and Windows
Update website will not be accessible until SP3 is installed.

What does it mean if my version of Windows is no longer supported?
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...f-support-mean

Dan wrote:
> I just reinstalled Windows Xp and I am trying to download all updates.
>
> I've made 3 attemptsto ownload service pack 2, and I get the error:
> 0x80070017

LD55ZRA

Re: Service Pack 2 download problem for XP
Dan,

You have received some advice about what you should do but none of them are
likely to be of any help to you if, you are like me who don't like reading
all the garbage given in computer books and websites.

Please download a full-file version of SP2 from here:

Ideally, you should download SP3 direct and then slipstream it on your
Windows Installation cache but this may be time consuming especially if you
have only one machine to work with.

To install SP2, you will need to perform a clean install of Windows XP
(whatever version) and then after rebooting the system, you need to run this
big fat file and you will be up to date upto SP2. I normally suggest people
to switch off Automatic Updates in Windows because it has become a drain on
most systems.

You will then need to download and install SP3 manually and that is all you
need for your system to be completely secure! Then you need to configure
your firewall so that it doesn't allow any exceptions.

Hope this helps but if you have any questions please do not hesitate to
contact me.

> I just reinstalled Windows Xp and I am trying to download all updates.
>
> I've made 3 attemptsto ownload service pack 2, and I get the error:
> 0x80070017
> --
> Dan

Harry Johnston [MVP]

On 2010-03-22 9:52 a.m., LD55ZRA wrote:

> Please download a full-file version of SP2 from here:

Surprisingly, this is a reasonable suggestion. I would recommend checking the
security certificate on the download before running it, however.

> Ideally, you should download SP3 direct and then slipstream it on your
> Windows Installation cache but this may be time consuming especially if you
> have only one machine to work with.

This doesn't really make sense for a home user. (Don't worry if you don't know
what a "Windows Installation cache" is, this isn't standard terminology anyway.)

> [...] I normally suggest people
> to switch off Automatic Updates in Windows because it has become a drain on
> most systems.

This is bad advice. There is some value in putting Automatic Updates in "notify
me" mode so you can decide which updates to apply and when, but not installing
updates at all is not a good idea.

Harry.

PS. Ordinarily I do not respond to trolls, but this particular post was
unusually rational-sounding and could easily be mistaken for good advice. Dan
and other visitors are advised to search for other postings by "LD55ZRA" so they
can make up their own minds.

--
Harry Johnston
http://harryjohnston.wordpress.com
LD55ZRA

Harry Johnston [MVP] wrote:

> PS. Ordinarily I do not respond to trolls, but this particular post
> was unusually rational-sounding and could easily be mistaken for

good advice.

You are a f*ucking liar Piggy. You do reply to trolls because a f*ucker
like you has nothing else to do like a troll. This, therefore makes you
one.

hth

LD55ZRA

"Harry Johnston [MVP]" <harry@scms.waikato.ac.nz> wrote in message

> This is bad advice. There is some value in putting Automatic Updates in
> "notify me" mode so you can decide which updates to apply and when, but
> not installing updates at all is not a good idea.

Please ignore the above advice because it is designed to destabilize your
system. The advice is by Microsoft Valuable Pig and they are there for one
thing and one thing only!

There is no evidence that updates post SP3 are making windows system any
secure than they were before the updates. There is ample evidence that the
updates are making systems unstable and the evidence is right in front of
you in these newsgroups.

That Microsoft Valuable Pig knows nothing about windows. He should go back
to his roots.

hth

Harry Johnston [MVP]

On 2010-03-22 1:34 p.m., I wrote:

> PS. Ordinarily I do not respond to trolls, but this particular post was
> unusually rational-sounding and could easily be mistaken for good
> advice.

I see that normal service has been restored. :-)

Harry.