KB975561 update failing

Stevens

KB975561 update failing
I am trying to apply the Microsoft update KB975561 to a Windows XP, sp3 pc.
I have the automatic updates turned on and when it attempts to install the
update it tells me it failed. I don't know where to go to find an error
message that may be more relevant. I went to Microsoft's website and
downloaded KB975561 and then ran it. I got the message, 'Data Error (cyclic
redundancy check).

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,
--
Mike Stevens

Re: KB975561 update failing
Start here:

How to determine whether a computer is compatible with security update
977165
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/980966/

Stevens wrote:
> I am trying to apply the Microsoft update KB975561 to a Windows XP, sp3
> pc.
> I have the automatic updates turned on and when it attempts to install the
> update it tells me it failed. I don't know where to go to find an error
> message that may be more relevant. I went to Microsoft's website and
> downloaded KB975561 and then ran it. I got the message, 'Data Error
> (cyclic
> redundancy check).
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Thank you,

Ǝиçεl

RE: KB975561 update failing
Hello Mike,

In additions to Robear Dyer's comment,

0x80070017 -2147024873 ERROR_CRC Data error (cyclic redundancy check).
Files may be corrupt or missing.

Clean up the system (clearing out all the Temp/Tmp folders, and included all
offline content, clearing the browser TIF, Delete Cookies , do a Disk
CleanUp.

Try running the "chkdsk /r" command at the command prompt How to perform
disk error checking in Windows XP
<http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315265>

Run SFC /SCANNOW
System File Checker (SFC) checks that all XP files are where they should be
and that they are uncorrupted.
How to Repair and Verify the Integrity of XP System
Files with System File Checker : SFC /SCANNOW
http://hardwareforu.blogspot.com/200...xp-repair.html

I hope this post is helpful.

Let us know how it works ºut

Ǝиçεl
©¿©¬
-=-

"Stevens" wrote:

> I am trying to apply the Microsoft update KB975561 to a Windows XP, sp3 pc.
> I have the automatic updates turned on and when it attempts to install the
> update it tells me it failed. I don't know where to go to find an error
> message that may be more relevant. I went to Microsoft's website and
> downloaded KB975561 and then ran it. I got the message, 'Data Error (cyclic
> redundancy check).
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Thank you,
> --
> Mike Stevens

Ottmar Freudenberger

Re: KB975561 update failing
"Stevens" <Stevens@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb:

> I am trying to apply the Microsoft update KB975561 to a Windows XP, sp3 pc.
> I have the automatic updates turned on and when it attempts to install the
> update it tells me it failed. I don't know where to go to find an error
> message that may be more relevant.

Open the Windows Update site in Internet Explorer, click on the "Update
History" link on the left there and click on "the white cross in the
red circle" symbol on the right of the failing update to get the error
code.

You may also want to check the "KB975561.log" located in the Windows
folder on your hdd.

> I went to Microsoft's website and
> downloaded KB975561 and then ran it. I got the message, 'Data Error (cyclic
> redundancy check).

This may have been a corrupted download then.

Either way, please check the file version of the "moviemk.exe" (click
on it with *right* mouse button, choose "Properties" in the context
menu and then click on the "Version" tab in there). Normally it's
located in the "C:\Program Files\Movie Maker" folder. Please state
the version of the EXE and just in case you've "moved" the Program
Files folder onto another folder or partition/drive, please state
where the Program Files folder is located.

Bye,
Freudi