Stopping Browser choice in windows update?

LithiumKid1976

Stopping Browser choice in windows update?
hi
Is it possible to stop "browser choice" (KB976002) from being installed via
the windows update service??

we have a wsus server and we have declined the update here, but if users go
to www.windowsupdate.com they will still be able to install it.

any suggestions on how we can stop it?
Thanks
Damien
Ottmar Freudenberger

Re: Stopping Browser choice in windows update?
"LithiumKid1976" <Damien.j.brennan@gmail.com> schrieb:

> Is it possible to stop "browser choice" (KB976002) from being installed via
> the windows update service??

No, but it's possible to hide the Browser Choice window:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2019411/en-us

> we have a wsus server and we have declined the update here, but if users go
> to www.windowsupdate.com they will still be able to install it.

Hm, your users are allowed to use Windows Update while sitting behind WSUS?
Why?

Bye,
Freudi
Ottmar Freudenberger

Re: Stopping Browser choice in windows update?
"LithiumKid1976" <Damien.j.brennan@gmail.com> schrieb:

> Is it possible to stop "browser choice" (KB976002) from being installed via
> the windows update service??

No, but it's possible to hide the Browser Choice window:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2019411/en-us

> we have a wsus server and we have declined the update here, but if users go
> to www.windowsupdate.com they will still be able to install it.

Hm, your users are allowed to use Windows Update while sitting behind WSUS?
Why?

Bye,
Freudi
Ottmar Freudenberger

Re: Stopping Browser choice in windows update?
"LithiumKid1976" <Damien.j.brennan@gmail.com> schrieb:

> Is it possible to stop "browser choice" (KB976002) from being installed via
> the windows update service??

No, but it's possible to hide the Browser Choice window:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2019411/en-us

> we have a wsus server and we have declined the update here, but if users go
> to www.windowsupdate.com they will still be able to install it.

Hm, your users are allowed to use Windows Update while sitting behind WSUS?
Why?

Bye,
Freudi
Ottmar Freudenberger

Re: Stopping Browser choice in windows update?
"LithiumKid1976" <Damien.j.brennan@gmail.com> schrieb:

> Is it possible to stop "browser choice" (KB976002) from being installed via
> the windows update service??

No, but it's possible to hide the Browser Choice window:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2019411/en-us

> we have a wsus server and we have declined the update here, but if users go
> to www.windowsupdate.com they will still be able to install it.

Hm, your users are allowed to use Windows Update while sitting behind WSUS?
Why?

Bye,
Freudi
Shenan Stanley

LithiumKid1976 wrote:
> Is it possible to stop "browser choice" (KB976002) from being
> installed via the windows update service??
>
> we have a wsus server and we have declined the update here, but if
> users go to www.windowsupdate.com they will still be able to
> install it.
>
> any suggestions on how we can stop it?

Sounds like you give your users too much power - they are not users, but
adminsitrators it seems. If you have given them essentially all rights on
the computers you have, you have defeated yourself on this one. ;-)

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Shenan Stanley

LithiumKid1976 wrote:
> Is it possible to stop "browser choice" (KB976002) from being
> installed via the windows update service??
>
> we have a wsus server and we have declined the update here, but if
> users go to www.windowsupdate.com they will still be able to
> install it.
>
> any suggestions on how we can stop it?

Sounds like you give your users too much power - they are not users, but
adminsitrators it seems. If you have given them essentially all rights on
the computers you have, you have defeated yourself on this one. ;-)

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP
--
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Re: Stopping Browser choice in windows update?
Post here instead:
http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...erwsus/threads