Cannot access windows update via Control Panel

richard

Cannot access windows update via Control Panel
But I can access windows update if I first start IE8 and select
windowsupdate from the Tools menu.

When I try to access windows update via Control Panel, I get this message:
1. On the Tools menu in Internet Explorer, click Internet Options.
2. Click the Security tab.
3. Click the Trusted Sites icon, and then click Sites...
4. Uncheck the "require server verification" checkbox.
5. Make sure the following URLs are listed in the Web Sites list box:
* http://*.windowsupdate.microsoft.com
* http://*.windowsupdate.com

I followed the directions to the letter and still no luck. I have no
idea why the Control Panel route does not work. It always did until I
went from IE6 to IE8.

Using XP Pro.

MowGreen

Re: Cannot access windows update via Control Panel
richard wrote:
> But I can access windows update if I first start IE8 and select
> windowsupdate from the Tools menu.
>
> When I try to access windows update via Control Panel, I get this message:
> 1. On the Tools menu in Internet Explorer, click Internet Options.
> 2. Click the Security tab.
> 3. Click the Trusted Sites icon, and then click Sites...
> 4. Uncheck the "require server verification" checkbox.
> 5. Make sure the following URLs are listed in the Web Sites list box:
> * http://*.windowsupdate.microsoft.com
> * http://*.windowsupdate.com
>
> I followed the directions to the letter and still no luck. I have no
> idea why the Control Panel route does not work. It always did until I
> went from IE6 to IE8.
>
> Using XP Pro.

Was the installed security software (antivirus/security suite) actively
monitoring the system when IE8 was installed ?

BTW, add this site to Trusted Sites, also:

http://update.microsoft.com

MowGreen
================
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
================

banthecheck.com

richard wrote:
> But I can access windows update if I first start IE8 and select
> windowsupdate from the Tools menu.
>
> When I try to access windows update via Control Panel, I get this message:
> 1. On the Tools menu in Internet Explorer, click Internet Options.
> 2. Click the Security tab.
> 3. Click the Trusted Sites icon, and then click Sites...
> 4. Uncheck the "require server verification" checkbox.
> 5. Make sure the following URLs are listed in the Web Sites list box:
> * http://*.windowsupdate.microsoft.com
> * http://*.windowsupdate.com
>
> I followed the directions to the letter and still no luck. I have no
> idea why the Control Panel route does not work. It always did until I
> went from IE6 to IE8.
>
> Using XP Pro.

Was the installed security software (antivirus/security suite) actively
monitoring the system when IE8 was installed ?

BTW, add this site to Trusted Sites, also:

http://update.microsoft.com

MowGreen
================
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
================

banthecheck.com

Re: Cannot access windows update via Control Panel
Always state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; WinXP 64-bit SP2)
when posting in a forum or newsgroup. Please do so in your next reply.

Is this a sudden, new problem?

What third-party firewall (if any)?

it)?

richard wrote:
> But I can access windows update if I first start IE8 and select
> windowsupdate from the Tools menu.
>
> When I try to access windows update via Control Panel, I get this message:
> 1. On the Tools menu in Internet Explorer, click Internet Options.
> 2. Click the Security tab.
> 3. Click the Trusted Sites icon, and then click Sites...
> 4. Uncheck the "require server verification" checkbox.
> 5. Make sure the following URLs are listed in the Web Sites list box:
> * http://*.windowsupdate.microsoft.com
> * http://*.windowsupdate.com
>
> I followed the directions to the letter and still no luck. I have no
> idea why the Control Panel route does not work. It always did until I
> went from IE6 to IE8.
>
> Using XP Pro.

richard

On 3/17/2010 2:56 PM, PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
> Always state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; WinXP 64-bit
> SP2) when posting in a forum or newsgroup. Please do so in your next reply.
>
> Is this a sudden, new problem?

> Defender)? What third-party firewall (if any)?

> computer (e.g., a free-trial version that came preinstalled when you
> bought it)?

I am using XP SP3, 32-bit. My anti-virus program is Microsoft Forefront
Security Client. My firewall is the free Zone Alarm. My anti-spyware
apps are Spyware Blaster and Malwarebytes.

The problem surfaced after I upgraded from IE6 to IE8. With IE6 I could
always access WU via the Control Panel. Now I can access it only via IE8
and select Update from the Tools menu.

Microsoft Forefront was running when I updated to IE8.

And I have now added to the Trusted Sites http://update.microsoft.com
--but still no joy.