error 0x80242006

Sue J Thomas

error 0x80242006
Got error 0x80242006 when trying to d/l kb978207 given to me by winupd..
xp pro sp2 ie7

Tried to install it manually, but says this is for ie6. title of the
update claims it is for ie7 on xp.

Any ideas? thanks

sue

Re: error 0x80242006
Why are you only attempting to install KB978207 now, nearly two months after
it was released?

Is this the installer you'd downloaded for manual installation? =>
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...9-5745a845664d

Why hasn't WinXP SP3 been installed by now? Extended Support for WinXP
(x86) SP2 ends on 13 July 2010. After that date, computers running WinXP
(x86) SP2 will NOT be offered any further critical security updates,
Automatic Updates will not work, and Windows Update website will not be
accessible until SP3 is installed.

Related: http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/200...and-xpsp3.aspx

What third-party firewall (if any)?

it)?

Sue J Thomas wrote:
> Got error 0x80242006 when trying to d/l kb978207 given to me by winupd..
> xp pro sp2 ie7
>
> Tried to install it manually, but says this is for ie6. title of the
> update claims it is for ie7 on xp.

Ǝиçεl

RE: error 0x80242006
Hello Sue,

Update handler errors
0x80242006 WU_E_UH_INVALIDMETADATA A handler operation could not be
completed because the update contains invalid metadata.

Error message when you try to install updates from the Windows Update Web
site or from the Microsoft Update Web site: "0x80242006"
<http://support.microsoft.com/kb/956707>
-=-

I would suggest manually downloading the update(s) in question and try
installing it. It appears the one you tried to install may be corrupt.

You have two (2) choices:

You can download them from the Catalog and save to be installed later.
<http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/Home.aspx>
--
How to Download Windows Updates and Drivers from the Windows Update Catalog
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=323166>

or

Search for a download
<http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/search.aspx?displaylang=en>

or...

2. Start a free Windows Update support incident request:
Here are some discussions in reference error code of 0x80242006
<http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=0x80242006&btnG=Search>
-=-

I'm suяe someone else will help you if this suggestion doesn't help.

Let us know what hªppens.

Ǝиçεl
-=-

"Sue J Thomas" wrote:

> Got error 0x80242006 when trying to d/l kb978207 given to me by winupd..
> xp pro sp2 ie7
>
> Tried to install it manually, but says this is for ie6. title of the
> update claims it is for ie7 on xp.
>
> Any ideas? thanks
>
> sue
>

> .

Sue J Thomas

Re: error 0x80242006
It is the first time I have been offered this update, that is why.
will install sp3
Use avg 9 which is updated completely.
sue

> Why are you only attempting to install KB978207 now, nearly two months
> after it was released?
>
> Is this the installer you'd downloaded for manual installation? =>
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...9-5745a845664d
>
> Why hasn't WinXP SP3 been installed by now? Extended Support for WinXP
> (x86) SP2 ends on 13 July 2010. After that date, computers running WinXP
> (x86) SP2 will NOT be offered any further critical security updates,
> Automatic Updates will not work, and Windows Update website will not be
> accessible until SP3 is installed.
>
> Related: http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/200...and-xpsp3.aspx

> Defender)? What third-party firewall (if any)?

> computer (e.g., a free-trial version that came preinstalled when you
> bought it)?
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>
> Sue J Thomas wrote:
>> Got error 0x80242006 when trying to d/l kb978207 given to me by winupd..
>> xp pro sp2 ie7
>>
>> Tried to install it manually, but says this is for ie6. title of the
>> update claims it is for ie7 on xp.

Re: error 0x80242006
At least one of my previous questions remains unanswered.

KB978207 was released on Thurs., 21 Jan-10. Is Automatic Updates disabled,
and if so, why?

When was the last time you checked for & install updates manually via
http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com?

Sue J Thomas wrote:
> It is the first time I have been offered this update, that is why.
> will install sp3
> Use avg 9 which is updated completely.
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>> Why are you only attempting to install KB978207 now, nearly two months
>> after it was released?
>>
>> Is this the installer you'd downloaded for manual installation? =>
>> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...9-5745a845664d
>>
>> Why hasn't WinXP SP3 been installed by now? Extended Support for WinXP
>> (x86) SP2 ends on 13 July 2010. After that date, computers running WinXP
>> (x86) SP2 will NOT be offered any further critical security updates,
>> Automatic Updates will not work, and Windows Update website will not be
>> accessible until SP3 is installed.
>>
>> Related: http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/200...and-xpsp3.aspx

>> bought it)?
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>>
>> Sue J Thomas wrote:
>>> Got error 0x80242006 when trying to d/l kb978207 given to me by winupd..
>>> xp pro sp2 ie7
>>>
>>> Tried to install it manually, but says this is for ie6. title of the
>>> update claims it is for ie7 on xp.

Sue J Thomas

Re: error 0x80242006
Funny....I wote this group because I could not get any info by
searching the error on msft. site and on google!
sue
"???l" <l@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> [...]

> Catalog
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=323166>
>
> or
>
> Search for a download
> <http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/search.aspx?displaylang=en>
>
> or...
>
> 2. Start a free Windows Update support incident request:
> Here are some discussions in reference error code of 0x80242006
> <http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=0x80242006&btnG=Search>
> -=-
>
> I'm su?e someone else will help you if this suggestion doesn't help.
>
> Let us know what hppens.
>

> ???l
> -=-
>

> "Sue J Thomas" wrote:
>
>> Got error 0x80242006 when trying to d/l kb978207 given to me by winupd..
>> xp pro sp2 ie7
>>
>> Tried to install it manually, but says this is for ie6. title of the

Sue J Thomas

Re: error 0x80242006
U ask 2 menny kestions. I only automatically update the men in my life.
Even used to have one who called himself Bear .
The d/l link u gave me did the trick and all is well now including restart.
Thanks annyway your heart is in the right place for us here,
sue