Windows Update - Excel 2003

Traci007

Windows Update - Excel 2003
My problem is similar to someone else's below(about Excel 2003 not being able
to update), the only difference is that I don't want Excel to update at all.
I don't even use it. But the yellow shield kept telling me that it had 1
update available, which was Excel 2003, so, out of annoyance, I installed it.
After failing to install several times, I decided to uninstall Excel from
Microsoft Office(Pro Edition 2003). Even after uninstalling Excel, I still
got the windows update alert. How do I stop it?

Extra info:
When windows update first appeared, I did a custom installation, deselecting
Excel 2003 and Outlook. I don't use both so I didn't see the point in
updating them. After installing, I noticed the yellow shield still there so I
clicked on it. It said that it had 1 update available, which was Excel 2003.
I remembered not wanting to update it, so I thought it was odd that it kept
telling me that it was available.

I even tried doing a custom installation again, unchecked Excel 2003, and
from there I just clicked 'close'. It temporary got rid of the yellow shield
but it reappeared later on.

It's very irritating, does anyone know what I did wrong and how to stop it?

Re: Windows Update - Excel 2003
Vista SP1; Vista 64-bit SP2; Win7; Win7 64-bit) when posting in a forum or
newsgroup. Please do so in your next reply.

And the KB number of the update in question is...?

Traci007 wrote:
> My problem is similar to someone else's below(about Excel 2003 not being
> able to update), the only difference is that I don't want Excel to update
> at all. I don't even use it. But the yellow shield kept telling me that it
> had 1 update available, which was Excel 2003, so, out of annoyance, I
> installed it. After failing to install several times, I decided to
> uninstall Excel from Microsoft Office(Pro Edition 2003). Even after
> uninstalling Excel, I still got the windows update alert. How do I stop
> it?
>
> Extra info:
> When windows update first appeared, I did a custom installation,
> deselecting
> Excel 2003 and Outlook. I don't use both so I didn't see the point in
> updating them. After installing, I noticed the yellow shield still there
> so
> I clicked on it. It said that it had 1 update available, which was Excel
> 2003. I remembered not wanting to update it, so I thought it was odd that
> it kept telling me that it was available.
>
> I even tried doing a custom installation again, unchecked Excel 2003, and
> from there I just clicked 'close'. It temporary got rid of the yellow
> shield
> but it reappeared later on.
>
> It's very irritating, does anyone know what I did wrong and how to stop
> it?

TakeNotes

RE: Windows Update - Excel 2003 (KB978474)
I have a similiar problem.

The Security Update for Office Excel 2003 (KB978474) has failed to install
repeatedly. I am not even running Office Excel 2003, but yet I continually
get the message that I need this update, and then it fails. I am running XP.
I have run CC-Cleaner to clean up any junk in Registry, etc., to make sure I
didn't have any residual files for Excel 2003 demo version. (I am running
Office 2000.) And yet, this automatic security update fails over and over
again, and I can't make it stop.

Any ideas?

============

"Traci007" wrote:

> My problem is similar to someone else's below(about Excel 2003 not being able
> to update), the only difference is that I don't want Excel to update at all.
> I don't even use it. But the yellow shield kept telling me that it had 1
> update available, which was Excel 2003, so, out of annoyance, I installed it.
> After failing to install several times, I decided to uninstall Excel from
> Microsoft Office(Pro Edition 2003). Even after uninstalling Excel, I still
> got the windows update alert. How do I stop it?

TakeNotes

RE: Windows Update - Excel 2003 (KB978474)
And just to clarify, I am running XP-Media version, SP3. I have never
installed the Office Excel 2003 demo version, but that doesn't mean it didn't
try to install from time to time. I am running Office 2000. All the
security updates are automatic.

"TakeNotes" wrote:

> I have a similiar problem.
>
> The Security Update for Office Excel 2003 (KB978474) has failed to install
> repeatedly. I am not even running Office Excel 2003, but yet I continually
> get the message that I need this update, and then it fails. I am running XP.
> I have run CC-Cleaner to clean up any junk in Registry, etc., to make sure I
> didn't have any residual files for Excel 2003 demo version. (I am running
> Office 2000.) And yet, this automatic security update fails over and over
> again, and I can't make it stop.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> ============
>
> "Traci007" wrote:
>
> > My problem is similar to someone else's below(about Excel 2003 not being able
> > to update), the only difference is that I don't want Excel to update at all.
> > I don't even use it. But the yellow shield kept telling me that it had 1
> > update available, which was Excel 2003, so, out of annoyance, I installed it.
> > After failing to install several times, I decided to uninstall Excel from
> > Microsoft Office(Pro Edition 2003). Even after uninstalling Excel, I still
> > got the windows update alert. How do I stop it?

Robert Aldwinckle

"TakeNotes" <TakeNotes@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have a similiar problem.
>
> The Security Update for Office Excel 2003 (KB978474) has failed to install
> repeatedly. I am not even running Office Excel 2003, but yet I
> continually
> get the message that I need this update, and then it fails. I am running
> XP.
> I have run CC-Cleaner to clean up any junk in Registry, etc., to make sure
> didn't have any residual files for Excel 2003 demo version. (I am running
> Office 2000.) And yet, this automatic security update fails over and over
> again, and I can't make it stop.
>

> Any ideas?

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sec.../ms10-017.mspx

<quote>
Does the offer to update a non-vulnerable version of Microsoft Office
constitute an issue in the Microsoft update mechanism?

No, the update mechanism is functioning correctly in that it detects a lower
version of the files on the system than in the update package and thus,
offers the update.
</quote>

So, since you apparently need this update, have you tried downloading it and
installing it manually in a more controlled environment? ; )

If it still "fails" after that, you will have to be more precise about your
symptom description. E.g. look in the install log for more clues.

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
---

> ============
>
> "Traci007" wrote:
>
>> My problem is similar to someone else's below(about Excel 2003 not being
>> able
>> to update), the only difference is that I don't want Excel to update at
>> all.
>> I don't even use it. But the yellow shield kept telling me that it had 1
>> update available, which was Excel 2003, so, out of annoyance, I installed
>> it.
>> After failing to install several times, I decided to uninstall Excel from
>> Microsoft Office(Pro Edition 2003). Even after uninstalling Excel, I
>> still
>> got the windows update alert. How do I stop it?

TakeNotes

Re: Windows Update - Excel 2003 (KB978474)
Thanks for the suggestion.

I did trying getting the update manually, and then searched the history logs
to find out the problem.

It says Error Code: 0x57A.

I have searched for clues about this error code, but have been unable to
resolve this issue.

Still puzzled.

"TakeNotes"

"Robert Aldwinckle" wrote:

> "TakeNotes" <TakeNotes@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I have a similiar problem.
> >
> > The Security Update for Office Excel 2003 (KB978474) has failed to install
> > repeatedly. I am not even running Office Excel 2003, but yet I
> > continually
> > get the message that I need this update, and then it fails. I am running
> > XP.
> > I have run CC-Cleaner to clean up any junk in Registry, etc., to make sure
> > didn't have any residual files for Excel 2003 demo version. (I am running
> > Office 2000.) And yet, this automatic security update fails over and over
> > again, and I can't make it stop.
> >

> > Any ideas?

> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sec.../ms10-017.mspx
>
> <quote>
> Does the offer to update a non-vulnerable version of Microsoft Office
> constitute an issue in the Microsoft update mechanism?
>
> No, the update mechanism is functioning correctly in that it detects a lower
> version of the files on the system than in the update package and thus,
> offers the update.
> </quote>
>
> So, since you apparently need this update, have you tried downloading it and
> installing it manually in a more controlled environment? ; )
>
> If it still "fails" after that, you will have to be more precise about your
> symptom description. E.g. look in the install log for more clues.
>

> HTH
>
> Robert Aldwinckle
> ---
>

> > ============
> >
> > "Traci007" wrote:
> >
> >> My problem is similar to someone else's below(about Excel 2003 not being
> >> able
> >> to update), the only difference is that I don't want Excel to update at
> >> all.
> >> I don't even use it. But the yellow shield kept telling me that it had 1
> >> update available, which was Excel 2003, so, out of annoyance, I installed
> >> it.
> >> After failing to install several times, I decided to uninstall Excel from
> >> Microsoft Office(Pro Edition 2003). Even after uninstalling Excel, I
> >> still
> >> got the windows update alert. How do I stop it?
> >>

> .

Robert Aldwinckle

> Thanks for the suggestion.
>
> I did trying getting the update manually, and then searched the history
> logs
> to find out the problem.
>
> It says Error Code: 0x57A.

Convert that to decimal and search with it...

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/838687

(Microsoft search for
1402 excel update
)

> I have searched for clues about this error code, but have been unable to
> resolve this issue.
>
> Still puzzled.

HTH

Robert