KB931125

Denise

KB931125
Ok heres another update Im unsure about and my question is:

Do I need this update? What in computer will be 'updated'? What areas will
this help me and my puter? What is this for? Here is the info when I
expanded this update:

Update for Root Certificates [November 2009] (KB931125)
Download size: 316 KB , less than 1 minute
This item updates the list of root certificates on your computer to the list
that is accepted by Microsoft as part of the Microsoft Root Certificate
Program. Adding additional root certificates to your computer enables you to
use Extended Validation (EV) certificates in Internet Explorer 7, a greater
range of security enhanced Web browsing, encrypted e-mail, and security
enhanced code delivery. After you install this item, you may have to restart
your computer. Once you have installed this item, it cannot be removed.

What the hec is a Root Certificate Program!!??
I have Windows XP Home Edition SP3, my puter is from 2002, so she's kinda
old. Also my browser is: IE7. I mainly use my puter for surfing the web,
checking/sending emails (web-based emails), playing online games. downloading
pictures and stuff like this.
So my question does someone like me need to install this update on their
computer?
Please someone help me with this. thanks in advance. sorry to sound so stupid.

MowGreen

Re: KB931125
Denise,

Well, here's 2 opinions to the 2 questions you've posted:

>> Do I need this update? What in computer will be 'updated'? What areas will
>> this help me and my puter? What is this for? Here is the info when I
>> expanded this update:
>>
>> Update for Root Certificates [November 2009] (KB931125)

Did you read and were you able to understand the description that is
supplied for it ?

>> This item updates the list of root certificates on your computer to the list
>> that is accepted by Microsoft as part of the Microsoft Root Certificate
>> Program. Adding additional root certificates to your computer enables you to
>> use Extended Validation (EV) certificates in Internet Explorer 7, a greater
>> range of security enhanced Web browsing, encrypted e-mail, and security
>> enhanced code delivery. After you install this item, you may have to restart
>> your computer. Once you have installed this item, it cannot be removed.

This update installs a Root Certificate into the Root Certificate store
that enhances Security. So yes, I do recommend that it be installed.
However, you *should* install Internet Explorer 8 to further increase
the Security of Windows XP.
XP is getting long in the tooth, so to speak, and the browser, Internet
Explorer, has become the most common place to exploit vulnerabilities
discovered in it. When/if you decide to install IE8, strongly suggest
that you do so *after* the computer has been booted to what is known as
the clean boot state. This will ensure that no 3rd party software
( software that is not from Microsoft ) will interfere with IE 8's
installation:
How to configure Windows XP to start in a "clean boot" state
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310353

For your second question about Windows Search 4.0 for Windows XP
(KB940157), unless you need/want the following:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940157
> Windows Search 4.0
> Windows Search 4.0 lets you perform an instant search of your computer. Windows Search
> 4.0 helps you find and preview documents, e-mail messages, music files, photos, and other
> items on the computer.

Ask yourself ... can I find what I want to find without installing this?
The decision is *yours* to make ... I would *not* recommend that you
install this update.
There will be subsequent updates for Windows Search as it *always* needs
to be updated due to newly discovered bugs, vulnerabilities, etc.

The less "fluff" you install on your system, the less stuff you will
have to constantly keep updated.
The internet criminals know that the Average User installs all kinds of
"fluff" on their computers and that they tend to NOT keep said "fluff"
up to date. So the criminals look for vulnerabilities in said "fluff"
and try to exploit these vulnerabilities when they find them.

MowGreen
================
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
================

banthecheck.com

Denise wrote:
> Ok heres another update Im unsure about and my question is:
>
> Do I need this update? What in computer will be 'updated'? What areas will
> this help me and my puter? What is this for? Here is the info when I
> expanded this update:
>
> Update for Root Certificates [November 2009] (KB931125)
> Download size: 316 KB , less than 1 minute
> This item updates the list of root certificates on your computer to the list
> that is accepted by Microsoft as part of the Microsoft Root Certificate
> Program. Adding additional root certificates to your computer enables you to
> use Extended Validation (EV) certificates in Internet Explorer 7, a greater
> range of security enhanced Web browsing, encrypted e-mail, and security
> enhanced code delivery. After you install this item, you may have to restart
> your computer. Once you have installed this item, it cannot be removed.
>
> What the hec is a Root Certificate Program!!??
> I have Windows XP Home Edition SP3, my puter is from 2002, so she's kinda
> old. Also my browser is: IE7. I mainly use my puter for surfing the web,
> checking/sending emails (web-based emails), playing online games. downloading
> pictures and stuff like this.
> So my question does someone like me need to install this update on their
> computer?
> Please someone help me with this. thanks in advance. sorry to sound so stupid.

Denise

Re: KB931125
MowGreen..Thank you very much. You have taken alot of un-needed stress out of
my day regarding these updates. So..thank you... :O)
--
Thanks in advance to everyone that has helped me with questions.
Sincerely,

"MowGreen" wrote:

> [...]

> > Program. Adding additional root certificates to your computer enables you to
> > use Extended Validation (EV) certificates in Internet Explorer 7, a greater
> > range of security enhanced Web browsing, encrypted e-mail, and security
> > enhanced code delivery. After you install this item, you may have to restart
> > your computer. Once you have installed this item, it cannot be removed.
> >
> > What the hec is a Root Certificate Program!!??
> > I have Windows XP Home Edition SP3, my puter is from 2002, so she's kinda
> > old. Also my browser is: IE7. I mainly use my puter for surfing the web,
> > checking/sending emails (web-based emails), playing online games. downloading
> > pictures and stuff like this.
> > So my question does someone like me need to install this update on their
> > computer?
> > Please someone help me with this. thanks in advance. sorry to sound so stupid.

MowGreen

Re: KB931125
Glad to be of assistance, Denise. You're mowst welcome.

MowGreen
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten

banthecheck.com