KB970158 What is it?

arejfour is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
KB970158 What is it?
I have a MS Intellipoint Laser Mouse 7000 V7.0 installed. When I went to install V7.1 this windows update KB970158 tagged along with my knowledge or permission. MS doesn't even list a description as to what it is. What was odd was that id didn't come thru the normal windows update screen. I uninstalled it and my mouse stopped working. I uninstalled V7.1 and went back to V7.0 and everything now works again. Can anybody tell me this is about?

Re: KB970158 What is it?
cf.
http://social.answers.microsoft.com/...-57c71de196b3/

Setting up Outlook Express to access Microsoft newsgroups
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/ou...snewreader.htm

Setting up Windows Mail (in Vista) to access Microsoft newsgroups
http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/mi...-windows-mail/

Setting up Windows LIVE Mail to access Microsoft newsgroups
http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/ms...ows-live-mail/

arejfour wrote:
> I have a MS Intellipoint Laser Mouse 7000 V7.0 installed. When I went to
> install V7.1 this windows update KB970158 tagged along with my knowledge
> or permission. MS doesn't even list a description as to what it is. What
> was odd was that id didn't come thru the normal windows update screen. I
> uninstalled it and my mouse stopped working. I uninstalled V7.1 and went
> back to V7.0 and everything now works again. Can anybody tell me this is
> about?

noodles

Re: KB970158 What is it?
sorry but beside that the update is legit gives your link little to no
information about the update.
why is there no kb article?
why does it not ask for permission to install?
what does it do?
why does it install after installation of microsoft mouse v7.1?

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> cf.
> http://social.answers.microsoft.com/...-57c71de196b3/
>
> Setting up Outlook Express to access Microsoft newsgroups
> http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/ou...snewreader.htm
>
> Setting up Windows Mail (in Vista) to access Microsoft newsgroups
> http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/mi...-windows-mail/
>
> Setting up Windows LIVE Mail to access Microsoft newsgroups
> http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/ms...ows-live-mail/
>

> arejfour wrote:
> > I have a MS Intellipoint Laser Mouse 7000 V7.0 installed. When I went to
> > install V7.1 this windows update KB970158 tagged along with my knowledge
> > or permission. MS doesn't even list a description as to what it is. What
> > was odd was that id didn't come thru the normal windows update screen. I
> > uninstalled it and my mouse stopped working. I uninstalled V7.1 and went
> > back to V7.0 and everything now works again. Can anybody tell me this is
> > about?

> .

Re: KB970158 What is it?
> why is there no kb article?

You'd have to ask MS why KB970158 is a generic reference for driver updates
offered by Windows Update.

> why does it not ask for permission to install?

Because your Automatic Updates setting ("Give me recommended updates the
same way I receive important updates") tells the update server to install
such driver updates without approval

> what does it do?

Updated drivers supposedly correct known-problems & bugs. If you're not
having problems, do you really need the driver update?

> why does it install after installation of microsoft mouse v7.1?

Because your Automatic Updates setting says to install such driver updates
automatically.