OT: Forums versus newsgroups - can you indulge a SBS MVP by answeringsome questions?

Susan Bradley

OT: Forums versus newsgroups - can you indulge a SBS MVP by answeringsome questions?
As an SBSer since I have SQL on my server I feel like SQL is family so
if you'll indulge me in a fishing expedition on forums versus newsgroups.

I need to pick your brain a bit if you don't mind? Can I ask some
fishing expedition questions because I want to see if my thoughts are on
track with others. Just want to see if my thoughts are out in left
field or what. I know why I like what I like but I want to know from
someone else what they like and why.

Do you like forums over newsgroups and if so why?

Do you like newsgroups over forums and if so why?

How did you first find the newsgroups in the first place?

How do you get here now? Web browser or nntp reader?

Why do you choose web browser versus nntp reader?

What makes you keep coming back? Habit?

If you prefer forums what would make you change to another community
platform?

If you prefer newsgroups what would make you change to another community
platform?

Do you prefer another community platform over forums AND newsgroups? If
so, what platform/venue is it? (and if you say twitter I'll bonk ya on
the head ;-)

Do you know about the NNTP bridge to make a transition to allow nntp
like access to a web forum?

The NNTP Bridge is an application created and maintained by the
Microsoft Forum team. This application emulates an NNTP server to the
extent of allowing NNTP newsreader clients to read data from and write
data to Microsoft forums. It is a custom solution built on top of the
standard NNTP protocol and expects communication from an NNTP newsreader
client; therefore it does not necessarily support all NNTP command
input. The NNTP Bridge acts as a medium of data transportation between
the newsreader client and Microsoft forums. As a result, the user’s
experience may change depending on the newsreader client.

The NNTP Bridge officially targets the following three newsreader clients:

· Windows Mail

· Windows Live Mail

· Outlook Express

While other clients were also being tested during the development
process (including Forte Agent and Thunderbird), bugs not pertaining to
the three targeted clients are not guaranteed to be fixed at this time.

The installation of the application and the limited UI of the
application itself (basically a start button, a stop button, and WLID
sign in page) are only available in English. However, when the Bridge
is running, you are free to connect to forums of any language and
read/post in any language you select.

The NNTP Bridge Client v1.0 Release is available via the Microsoft
Connect site. Please refer to the following steps to download and
install it and then configure the newsreader client.

NOTE: The NNTP Bridge team is accepting your feedback directly on the
Connect portal. Providing your thoughts and comments there will route
your requests directly to the Dev team.

1. Download the utility by following the instructions at
http://connect.microsoft.com/MicrosoftForums (NNTP Bridge Home Page on
Connect).

2. Install the NNTP bridge by following the steps at
http://connect.microsoft.com/Microso...ontentID=13820.

3. Configure your newsreader client:

3.1). On successful starting of the NNTP Bridge application, start your
nntp news reader client, ie., Windows Mail.

3.2). Create a newsgroup account, and type 127.0.0.1 as the NNTP server
and 119 as the port. With that information it should be able to connect
to your local NNTP Bridge and successfully list all the forums.

3.3). Select the partner forum(s) you are interested in.

Besides, some more resources are for your reference:

NNTP Bridge Troubleshooting Guide

http://connect.microsoft.com/Microso...ontentID=15478

NNTP Bridge Frequently Asked Questions

http://connect.microsoft.com/Microso...ontentID=13816
Shenan Stanley

Re: Forums versus newsgroups - can you indulge a SBS MVP by answering some questions?
Susan Bradley wrote:
> As an SBSer since I have SQL on my server I feel like SQL is family
> so if you'll indulge me in a fishing expedition on forums versus
> newsgroups.
> I need to pick your brain a bit if you don't mind? Can I ask some
> fishing expedition questions because I want to see if my thoughts
> are on track with others. Just want to see if my thoughts are out
> in left field or what. I know why I like what I like but I want to
> know from someone else what they like and why.
>

> Do you like forums over newsgroups and if so why?

No.

> Do you like newsgroups over forums and if so why?

Yes. Comfortable, used to it.

> How did you first find the newsgroups in the first place?

Been around long enough - it's just the logical move from bulletin board
systems (BBSes) from my Commodore days.

> How do you get here now? Web browser or nntp reader?

Outlook Express.

> Why do you choose web browser versus nntp reader?

I did not.

> What makes you keep coming back? Habit?

Enjoy answering questions. Keeps me up to date as well.

> If you prefer forums what would make you change to another community
> platform?

I don't prefer forums.

> If you prefer newsgroups what would make you change to another
> community platform?

As the usage of newsgroups drops off, in order to have the same level of
actual interaction and stay current as I like to do, I will have to change
to the web forums (since that is the current trend.)

> Do you prefer another community platform over forums AND
> newsgroups? If so, what platform/venue is it? (and if you say
> twitter I'll bonk ya on the head ;-)

No.

> Do you know about the NNTP bridge to make a transition to allow nntp
> like access to a web forum?

Yes.

<snipped the explanation of the NNTP Bridge>

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Re: Forums versus newsgroups - can you indulge a SBS MVP by answering some questions?
You already know how I feel about all this so I won't clutter the ether with
a reply (other than this one).

Susan Bradley wrote:
> As an SBSer since I have SQL on my server I feel like SQL is family so
> if you'll indulge me in a fishing expedition on forums versus newsgroups.
>
> I need to pick your brain a bit if you don't mind? Can I ask some
> fishing expedition questions because I want to see if my thoughts are on
> track with others. Just want to see if my thoughts are out in left
> field or what. I know why I like what I like but I want to know from
> someone else what they like and why.

<SNIP>

Robert Aldwinckle

Re: OT: Forums versus newsgroups - can you indulge a SBS MVP by answering some questions?

"Susan Bradley" <sbradcpa@pacbell.net> wrote in message
> As an SBSer since I have SQL on my server I feel like SQL is family so if
> you'll indulge me in a fishing expedition on forums versus newsgroups.

And someone in a WU NG is supposed to have good thoughts about that? <eg>

> Do you like forums over newsgroups and if so why?

Which forums? The new Microsoft ones are barely usable for answerers but
signs are present that improvements may happen. They are certainly an
improvement over WN3.

> Do you like newsgroups over forums and if so why?

Newsgroups are dying.

> How did you first find the newsgroups in the first place?

Newsgroups were it when I started. Web sites which did support were things
you didn't want to stay in especially at 44 KBS.

> How do you get here now? Web browser or nntp reader?

Windows Live Mail to msnews.microsoft.com

> Why do you choose web browser versus nntp reader?

To fix up the formatting messes the bridge makes.

> What makes you keep coming back? Habit?

Definitely.

> If you prefer forums what would make you change to another community
> platform?

You're asking this question to WN3 users? <eg>

> If you prefer newsgroups what would make you change to another community
> platform?

Newsgroups are dying.

> Do you prefer another community platform over forums AND newsgroups? If
> so, what platform/venue is it? (and if you say twitter I'll bonk ya on
> the head ;-)

Connect newsgroups used to be fun.

> Do you know about the NNTP bridge to make a transition to allow nntp like
> access to a web forum?

Do you think Windows Live Mail will support it better eventually? E.g.
stop deleting my subscriptions simply because the bridge is burping?

> NOTE: The NNTP Bridge team is accepting your feedback directly on the
> Connect portal. Providing your thoughts and comments there will route your
> requests directly to the Dev team.

That is not good enough. Another black hole. Suggestions and feedback
made during the beta were simply ignored and closed.

BTW try making an interleaved reply like this using the current forum
software. ; }

QED.

Robert
---

Re: OT: Forums versus newsgroups - can you indulge a SBS MVP by answering some questions?
Robbie, you know trolls hang out under bridges! <eg>

Robert Aldwinckle wrote:
> Do you think Windows Live Mail will support it better eventually? E.g.
> stop deleting my subscriptions simply because the bridge is burping?

<snippage>
>> Do you know about the NNTP bridge to make a transition to allow nntp like
>> access to a web forum?

MowGreen

Re: OT: Forums versus newsgroups - can you indulge a SBS MVP byanswering some questions?
Did you post this here and expect the Typical User to answer it, Mom ?
Don't hold your breath.

MowGreen
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten

banthecheck.com

new to forums rabbi Introduce Yourself 0 11-09-2009 02:35
Hi - New here, but not to forums gadget_girl Introduce Yourself 0 03-27-2009 20:51
New to Vista Forums Rdcatman Introduce Yourself 0 02-16-2009 20:34
Windows Mail Newsgroups Versus Thunderbird Ross M. Greenberg microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 12 06-03-2008 12:28
forums Jean microsoft.public.fr.windows.vista.reseau 8 02-14-2008 20:26