2007 Microsoft Office suite Service Pack 2 (sp2), update error

M. Quintana

2007 Microsoft Office suite Service Pack 2 (sp2), update error
Every time I try to update Office 2007 Ultimate with the service pack 2, I
receive the following error: "package error installation". On the Update
History, the code error is: 0x80246002. I'm running Windows XP SP3. I
downloaded the SP2 and tried to install it manually with no avail.
Any suggestions?
Robert Aldwinckle

Re: 2007 Microsoft Office suite Service Pack 2 (sp2), update error

"M. Quintana" <M. Quintana@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Every time I try to update Office 2007 Ultimate with the service pack 2, I
> receive the following error: "package error installation". On the Update
> History, the code error is: 0x80246002. I'm running Windows XP SP3. I
> downloaded the SP2 and tried to install it manually with no avail.
> Any suggestions?

http://www.microsoft.com/communities...xp=&sloc=en-us

(Alt-7 search for
0x80246002 MVP
- filtered by Answered Questions
)

<quote>
This is what the error means -

0x80246002 -2145099774 SUS_E_DM_INCORRECTFILEHASH The file digest did
not match the expected value
</quote>

By doing a manually install you have the opportunity to create more complete
diagnostics and with less interference from other sources. E.g. you could
disconnect from the Internet and shutdown whatever security apps you have
running before retrying the manual install. You could also activate
verbose logging and you could run ProcMon to supplement whatever diagnostics
you are creating.

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
---

Re: 2007 Microsoft Office suite Service Pack 2 (sp2), update error
You receive an error message when you try to apply any of the 2007 Office
service packs on a computer that is running WinXP SP2 [or SP3]
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/942101

M. Quintana wrote:
> Every time I try to update Office 2007 Ultimate with the service pack 2, I
> receive the following error: "package error installation". On the Update
> History, the code error is: 0x80246002. I'm running Windows XP SP3. I
> downloaded the SP2 and tried to install it manually with no avail.
> Any suggestions?

M. Quintana

Re: 2007 Microsoft Office suite Service Pack 2 (sp2), update error
I did both suggestions... and even downloaded and install the Microsoft
Installer v4.5... and still no luck.
(thanks for the replies). I think that the sure thing is to uninstall
completely Office 2007 (How to wipe it out completely and to delete al the
temp files and clean the registry?)...
"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> You receive an error message when you try to apply any of the 2007 Office
> service packs on a computer that is running WinXP SP2 [or SP3]
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/942101
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>

> M. Quintana wrote:
> > Every time I try to update Office 2007 Ultimate with the service pack 2, I
> > receive the following error: "package error installation". On the Update
> > History, the code error is: 0x80246002. I'm running Windows XP SP3. I
> > downloaded the SP2 and tried to install it manually with no avail.
> > Any suggestions?

> .

Re: 2007 Microsoft Office suite Service Pack 2 (sp2), update error
What third-party firewall (if any)?

it)?

Before uninstalling/reinstalling Office 2007, try...

1. Inserting your Office CD into the appropriate drive bay before the next
installation attempt.

2. Doing a Reset (run Fix It in Default *and* Aggressive modes) followed by
a reboot: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058

3. Rebooting into a Clean Boot environment
(http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316434) before the next installation
attempt.

4. Running a Repair of Office 2007.

Do NOT run the Windows Installer Cleanup utility in an attempt to remove
Office 2007!

If you ever think your Registry needs to be cleaned, repaired, boosted,
tuned-up, cured, tweaked, or optimized (it doesn't), read
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=28099 and draw your own conclusions.

M. Quintana wrote:
> I did both suggestions... and even downloaded and install the Microsoft
> Installer v4.5... and still no luck.
> (thanks for the replies). I think that the sure thing is to uninstall
> completely Office 2007 (How to wipe it out completely and to delete al the
> temp files and clean the registry?)...
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>> You receive an error message when you try to apply any of the 2007 Office
>> service packs on a computer that is running WinXP SP2 [or SP3]
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/942101
>>
>> M. Quintana wrote:
>>> Every time I try to update Office 2007 Ultimate with the service pack 2,
>>> receive the following error: "package error installation". On the Update
>>> History, the code error is: 0x80246002. I'm running Windows XP SP3. I
>>> downloaded the SP2 and tried to install it manually with no avail.
>>> Any suggestions?

M. Quintana

Re: 2007 Microsoft Office suite Service Pack 2 (sp2), update error
PA Bear:

I use Norton 360.3 and Uniblue Spyeraser (which is no longer supported, so I
took it out from the start menu).

I have tried to run the update with the firewall and antivirus shutdown
(network connection off, of course); to insert the installation cd; to rename
the Download file in %systemroot%\SoftwareDistribution; to manually extract
the file, and try to install the mps file... Nope... no luck. I will try your
suggestion though... (thanks for the help).

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> What third-party firewall (if any)?

> computer (e.g., a free-trial version that came preinstalled when you bought
> it)?
>
> Before uninstalling/reinstalling Office 2007, try...
>
> 1. Inserting your Office CD into the appropriate drive bay before the next
> installation attempt.
>
> 2. Doing a Reset (run Fix It in Default *and* Aggressive modes) followed by
> a reboot: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058
>
> 3. Rebooting into a Clean Boot environment
> (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316434) before the next installation
> attempt.
>
> 4. Running a Repair of Office 2007.
>
> Do NOT run the Windows Installer Cleanup utility in an attempt to remove
> Office 2007!
>
> If you ever think your Registry needs to be cleaned, repaired, boosted,
> tuned-up, cured, tweaked, or optimized (it doesn't), read
> http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=28099 and draw your own conclusions.
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>

> M. Quintana wrote:
> > I did both suggestions... and even downloaded and install the Microsoft
> > Installer v4.5... and still no luck.
> > (thanks for the replies). I think that the sure thing is to uninstall
> > completely Office 2007 (How to wipe it out completely and to delete al the
> > temp files and clean the registry?)...
> >
> > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> >> You receive an error message when you try to apply any of the 2007 Office
> >> service packs on a computer that is running WinXP SP2 [or SP3]
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/942101

> .

Re: 2007 Microsoft Office suite Service Pack 2 (sp2), update error
Did a Norton (or McAfee) free trial come preinstalled on the computer when
you bought it?

How long have you had a Norton application (any) installed? Are you running
N360 2009 or 2010 now?

M. Quintana wrote:
> I use Norton 360.3 and Uniblue Spyeraser (which is no longer supported, so
> took it out from the start menu).
>
> I have tried to run the update with the firewall and antivirus shutdown
> (network connection off, of course); to insert the installation cd; to
> rename the Download file in %systemroot%\SoftwareDistribution; to manually
> extract the file, and try to install the mps file... Nope... no luck. I
> will try your suggestion though... (thanks for the help).
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

>> bought
>> it)?
>>
>> Before uninstalling/reinstalling Office 2007, try...
>>
>> 1. Inserting your Office CD into the appropriate drive bay before the
>> next
>> installation attempt.
>>
>> 2. Doing a Reset (run Fix It in Default *and* Aggressive modes) followed
>> by
>> a reboot: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058
>>
>> 3. Rebooting into a Clean Boot environment
>> (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316434) before the next installation
>> attempt.
>>
>> 4. Running a Repair of Office 2007.
>>
>> Do NOT run the Windows Installer Cleanup utility in an attempt to remove
>> Office 2007!
>>
>> If you ever think your Registry needs to be cleaned, repaired, boosted,
>> tuned-up, cured, tweaked, or optimized (it doesn't), read
>> http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=28099 and draw your own conclusions.
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>>

>> M. Quintana wrote:
>>> I did both suggestions... and even downloaded and install the Microsoft
>>> Installer v4.5... and still no luck.
>>> (thanks for the replies). I think that the sure thing is to uninstall
>>> completely Office 2007 (How to wipe it out completely and to delete al
>>> the
>>> temp files and clean the registry?)...

>> .

M. Quintana

Re: 2007 Microsoft Office suite Service Pack 2 (sp2), update error
I'm running N360 v3 (2009). This is an old machine. I believe it came with
Norton Antivirus 2004... long gone by now. I once did a fresh reinstall of
all the system so there are no traces of Norton antivirus 2004.
I did solutions 1 - 4 (of your previous post)... still no luck. I tried to
install the extracted file on safe mode and I receive the following message:
"This service pack can not be open. Put in contact with the application
manufacturer in order to check if this is a valid windows installer servive
pack"...

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Did a Norton (or McAfee) free trial come preinstalled on the computer when
> you bought it?
>
> How long have you had a Norton application (any) installed? Are you running
> N360 2009 or 2010 now?
>

> M. Quintana wrote:
> > I use Norton 360.3 and Uniblue Spyeraser (which is no longer supported, so
> > took it out from the start menu).
> >
> > I have tried to run the update with the firewall and antivirus shutdown
> > (network connection off, of course); to insert the installation cd; to
> > rename the Download file in %systemroot%\SoftwareDistribution; to manually
> > extract the file, and try to install the mps file... Nope... no luck. I
> > will try your suggestion though... (thanks for the help).
> >
> > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> >> What anti-virus application or security suite is installed and is your
> >> subscription current? What anti-spyware applications (other than
> >> Defender)? What third-party firewall (if any)?
> >>
> >> Has a(another) Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on the
> >> computer (e.g., a free-trial version that came preinstalled when you
> >> bought
> >> it)?
> >>
> >> Before uninstalling/reinstalling Office 2007, try...
> >>
> >> 1. Inserting your Office CD into the appropriate drive bay before the
> >> next
> >> installation attempt.
> >>
> >> 2. Doing a Reset (run Fix It in Default *and* Aggressive modes) followed
> >> by
> >> a reboot: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058
> >>
> >> 3. Rebooting into a Clean Boot environment
> >> (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316434) before the next installation
> >> attempt.
> >>
> >> 4. Running a Repair of Office 2007.
> >>
> >> Do NOT run the Windows Installer Cleanup utility in an attempt to remove
> >> Office 2007!
> >>
> >> If you ever think your Registry needs to be cleaned, repaired, boosted,
> >> tuned-up, cured, tweaked, or optimized (it doesn't), read
> >> http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=28099 and draw your own conclusions.
> >> --
> >> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

> >> .

> .

Re: 2007 Microsoft Office suite Service Pack 2 (sp2), update error
Try this:

1. Download the Norton Removal Tool, saving it to your desktop:
ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/englis...moval_Tool.exe

2. Close any open applications (i.e., anything with an icon on the taskbar).

3. After making certain you have a copy of your Product Key handy, uninstall
N360, LiveUpdate and any Norton Add-ons via Add/Remove Programs.

4. IMPORTANT! => Enable the Windows Firewall immediately after rebooting.

browsing; reading email; chatting) until you've completed Step #7 below!

5. Double-click on the file you saved in Step #1 above to run the utility.
Don't TOUCH your keyboard until the run completes, then reboot.

6. Do a clean install of N360 2010 using your Product ID & reboot:
http://www.symantec.com/norton/suppo...0514162 318EN

TIP: Do not enable or install any Norton Add-ons (e.g., Norton
Anti-Phishing) just yet.

7. Manually and repeatedly run (Norton) LiveUpdate until you get a "no more
updates" prompt.

8. Test.

M. Quintana wrote:
> I'm running N360 v3 (2009). This is an old machine. I believe it came with
> Norton Antivirus 2004... long gone by now. I once did a fresh reinstall of
> all the system so there are no traces of Norton antivirus 2004.
> I did solutions 1 - 4 (of your previous post)... still no luck. I tried to
> install the extracted file on safe mode and I receive the following
> message:
> "This service pack can not be open. Put in contact with the application
> manufacturer in order to check if this is a valid windows installer
> servive
> pack"...
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>> Did a Norton (or McAfee) free trial come preinstalled on the computer
>> when
>> you bought it?
>>
>> How long have you had a Norton application (any) installed? Are you
>> running N360 2009 or 2010 now?
>>

>> M. Quintana wrote:
>>> I use Norton 360.3 and Uniblue Spyeraser (which is no longer supported,
>>> so
>>> took it out from the start menu).
>>>
>>> I have tried to run the update with the firewall and antivirus shutdown
>>> (network connection off, of course); to insert the installation cd; to
>>> rename the Download file in %systemroot%\SoftwareDistribution; to
>>> manually
>>> extract the file, and try to install the mps file... Nope... no luck. I
>>> will try your suggestion though... (thanks for the help).

>> .

M. Quintana

Re: 2007 Microsoft Office suite Service Pack 2 (sp2), update error
As another approach I downloaded de SP2 in English (my system is in spanish)
and I received the following message after the attempt: "the expected version
of the product was not found in the system"...