Hiding KB976002 results in security warning

Rob

Hiding KB976002 results in security warning
Windows XP SP3

Windows update allows you to hide an update you don't want to install.
Of course I have hidden KB976002 which is presented as a critical
update but is not a security update and is only needed when the user
wants to have it.

However, now Windows Update complains that I have hidden a critical
security update and that my computer will be in great danger until
I restore this update.

This is of course incorrect. KB976002 is not a security update.

Please update the Windows Update site so that KB976002 can be hidden
without further messages and incorrect warnings.
G. R. Woodring

Re: Hiding KB976002 results in security warning
I expect that the Law Givers have *required* Microsoft to classify it as
critical. At any rate this is a user-to-user support group, no one here can
change anything on the Windows Update site.

--
G. R. Woodring

G. R. Woodring <tejbbqevat@rneguyvax.arg> wrote:
> I expect that the Law Givers have *required* Microsoft to classify it as
> critical.

Fine. But that does not make it a security update.

> At any rate this is a user-to-user support group, no one here can
> change anything on the Windows Update site.

What Microsoft writes about feedback is not true?
Maybe the lawyers should go after that...

Re: Hiding KB976002 results in security warning
Short answer: As long as KB976002 isn't being offered by Automatic Updates
now, don't worry about it.

[OT: Can anybody else access http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976002 right
now?]

> However, now Windows Update complains that I have hidden a critical
> security update and that my computer will be in great danger until
> I restore this update.

No, it says:

<QP>
You've hidden important [not "critical security"] updates
You've asked us not to show you one or more high-priority [not "critical
security"] updates but your computer might be at risk [not "in great
danger"] until they are installed...
</QP>

KB976002 is an Important update, not a Critical or security-related update.

WYSIWYG (at http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com) when you hide any update and
run an EXPRESS or CUSTOM scan for updates (which will offer any Critical or
Important updates without distinguishing any differences).

The Browser Choice Screen for Europe: What to Expect, When to Expect It -
Microsoft On The Issues:
http://microsoftontheissues.com/cs/b...expect-it.aspx

More in the first post of
http://social.answers.microsoft.com/...b-ac37071c1081

PA Bear [MS MVP] <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote:
> Short answer: As long as KB976002 isn't being offered by Automatic Updates
> now, don't worry about it.

In Europe, it is.

> [OT: Can anybody else access http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976002 right
> now?]
>
>> However, now Windows Update complains that I have hidden a critical
>> security update and that my computer will be in great danger until
>> I restore this update.

> No, it says:
>
> <QP>
> You've hidden important [not "critical security"] updates
> You've asked us not to show you one or more high-priority [not "critical
> security"] updates but your computer might be at risk [not "in great
> danger"] until they are installed...
> </QP>

In the Dutch translation, it certainly says that. I cannot check the
English/American version.

> KB976002 is an Important update, not a Critical or security-related update.

So if you hide it, it should not suggest that your computer is in
danger.

Re: Hiding KB976002 results in security warning
Stop using quoted passages of my posts out of context, please! This isn't
the first time you've done so, either. Quote my *entire* post, verbatim, or
don't bother replying at all.

Rob wrote:
> PA Bear [MS MVP] <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Short answer: As long as KB976002 isn't being offered by Automatic
>> Updates
>> now, don't worry about it.

> In Europe, it is.
>
>> [OT: Can anybody else access http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976002 right
>> now?]
>>
>>> However, now Windows Update complains that I have hidden a critical
>>> security update and that my computer will be in great danger until
>>> I restore this update.

>> No, it says:
>>
>> <QP>
>> You've hidden important [not "critical security"] updates
>> You've asked us not to show you one or more high-priority [not "critical
>> security"] updates but your computer might be at risk [not "in great
>> danger"] until they are installed...
>> </QP>

> In the Dutch translation, it certainly says that. I cannot check the
> English/American version.
>
>> KB976002 is an Important update, not a Critical or security-related
>> update.

> So if you hide it, it should not suggest that your computer is in
> danger.

Ǝиçεl

Re: Hiding KB976002 results in security warning
RE: OT.

Negative
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976002

I got Sorry, but we couldn't find the page that you requested.

Please refine your search or try one of the other helpful links that are
provided here. KB976002

-=-

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Short answer: As long as KB976002 isn't being offered by Automatic Updates
> now, don't worry about it.
>
> [OT: Can anybody else access http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976002 right
> now?]
>
> > However, now Windows Update complains that I have hidden a critical
> > security update and that my computer will be in great danger until
> > I restore this update.

> No, it says:
>
> <QP>
> You've hidden important [not "critical security"] updates
> You've asked us not to show you one or more high-priority [not "critical
> security"] updates but your computer might be at risk [not "in great
> danger"] until they are installed...
> </QP>
>
> KB976002 is an Important update, not a Critical or security-related update.
>
> WYSIWYG (at http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com) when you hide any update and
> run an EXPRESS or CUSTOM scan for updates (which will offer any Critical or
> Important updates without distinguishing any differences).
>
> The Browser Choice Screen for Europe: What to Expect, When to Expect It -
> Microsoft On The Issues:
> http://microsoftontheissues.com/cs/b...expect-it.aspx
>
> More in the first post of
> http://social.answers.microsoft.com/...b-ac37071c1081
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>
> Rob wrote:
> > Windows XP SP3
> >
> > Windows update allows you to hide an update you don't want to install.
> > Of course I have hidden KB976002 which is presented as a critical
> > update but is not a security update and is only needed when the user
> > wants to have it.
> >
> > However, now Windows Update complains that I have hidden a critical
> > security update and that my computer will be in great danger until
> > I restore this update.
> >
> > This is of course incorrect. KB976002 is not a security update.
> >
> > Please update the Windows Update site so that KB976002 can be hidden
> > without further messages and incorrect warnings.

> .

Rob

Re: Hiding KB976002 results in security warning
PA Bear [MS MVP] <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote:
> Stop using quoted passages of my posts out of context, please! This isn't
> the first time you've done so, either. Quote my *entire* post, verbatim, or
> don't bother replying at all.

Hey mister know-it-all, when you don't like to get a reaction on your
reply then don't reply to my posting!

It seems the only thing you can is negatively comment on other people's
questions.
Rob

Ǝиçεl <l@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> RE: OT.
>
> Negative
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976002
>
> I got Sorry, but we couldn't find the page that you requested.
>
> Please refine your search or try one of the other helpful links that are
> provided here. KB976002

Here in .nl the link works fine.
Microsoft probably restrict the link to people in the EU only.

Re: Hiding KB976002 results in security warning
Bite me!

<plonk>