80070490 Error: Windows update encountered an unknown error

tmac%

80070490 Error: Windows update encountered an unknown error
3 security updates will not complete (now 4). Error Code 80070490
02-Mar-10
I am unable to do these three security updates: KB970238(release date
6/9/09), KB97451(release date 10/13/09), KB954155(release date 10/13/09), &
KB975517(release date 10/13/09).

The last succesful update was KB9937286 on 2/27/2010

I have a Compaq Presario PC: SR5214X.
OS Name Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Basic
Version 6.0.6002 Service Pack 2 Build 6002
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Manufacturer Compaq-Presario
System Model GV441AA-ABA SR5214X
System Type X86-based PC
Processor Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU E2140 @ 1.60GHz, 1600 Mhz, 2
Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. 5.18, 8/24/2007
SMBIOS Version 2.4
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.0.6002.18005"
Time Zone Central Standard Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 1.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 0.99 GB
Available Physical Memory 210 MB
Total Virtual Memory 2.24 GB
Available Virtual Memory 976 MB

IE 8 ver. 8.0.6001.1882

Things I have tried this far: I tried in safe mode, installing during a
restart and installing manually. Upon looking at my update history, I have
12 other failed security updates. I unistalled McAffee and installed Windos
security essentials, cleaned my computer with CCleaner, ran Spybot, and
defragged my computer.
Then I tried the Run: sfc. scannow and nothing came up.
I went directly to the link provided
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947821

There were several other updates that failed security updates:
KB950762
KB951066
KB951698
KB952069
KB953155
KB954155
KB958624
KB958644
KB958687
KB959426
KB960803
KB970238
KB974571
KB975517

I listed them in order thinking that maybe I should do the earliest one
first, one by one manually. I can't download a single update. Please help
if you can.

Re: 80070490 Error: Windows update encountered an unknown error
> ...I unistalled McAffee and installed Windos
> security essentials...

What's the name of the McAfee application that was installed and was your
subscription still current when you uninstalled it & then installed MSE?

Did you download/run the McAfee removal tool prior to installing MSE?

Has a(another) Norton or McAfee application /ever/ been installed on the
it)?

tmac% wrote:
> 3 security updates will not complete (now 4). Error Code 80070490
> 02-Mar-10
> I am unable to do these three security updates: KB970238(release date
> 6/9/09), KB97451(release date 10/13/09), KB954155(release date 10/13/09),
> &
> KB975517(release date 10/13/09).
>
> The last succesful update was KB9937286 on 2/27/2010
>
> I have a Compaq Presario PC: SR5214X.
> OS Name Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Basic
> Version 6.0.6002 Service Pack 2 Build 6002

<snip>
> IE 8 ver. 8.0.6001.1882
>
> Things I have tried this far: I tried in safe mode, installing during a
> restart and installing manually. Upon looking at my update history, I
> have
> 12 other failed security updates. I unistalled McAffee and installed
> Windos
> security essentials...

tmac%

Re: 80070490 Error: Windows update encountered an unknown error
It is a free McAfee supplied by my internet company Cox cable. It is free
but I thought it was a full version, part of their Cox Security Suite. It
was installed 10/28/2009 (saved and scanned the file before running it)
version 2 (3.15.0.0).
http://ww2.cox.com/residential/sandi...rity-suite.cox

It was slowing my computer down and it actually let in a trojan
(Win32/Obfuscator.CY) which was detected and removed by Microsoft Security
Essentials installed 2/26/10. I uninstalled through the program and files
area in Vista control panel.

I then booted in safe mode with internet and did some more cleaning after
updating. The Microsoft Security Essentials I first tried to update and it
would not. The screen was red as well. I tried to activate it but it would
not in safe mode. Then I had a 3 day battle with spybot detecting
smitfraudfix and smitfraudfix detecting spybot.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> > ...I unistalled McAffee and installed Windos
> > security essentials...

> What's the name of the McAfee application that was installed and was your
> subscription still current when you uninstalled it & then installed MSE?
>
> Did you download/run the McAfee removal tool prior to installing MSE?
>
> Has a(another) Norton or McAfee application /ever/ been installed on the
> computer (e.g., a free-trial version that came preinstalled when you bought
> it)?
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>

> tmac% wrote:
> > 3 security updates will not complete (now 4). Error Code 80070490
> > 02-Mar-10
> > I am unable to do these three security updates: KB970238(release date
> > 6/9/09), KB97451(release date 10/13/09), KB954155(release date 10/13/09),
> > &
> > KB975517(release date 10/13/09).
> >
> > The last succesful update was KB9937286 on 2/27/2010
> >
> > I have a Compaq Presario PC: SR5214X.
> > OS Name Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Basic
> > Version 6.0.6002 Service Pack 2 Build 6002

> <snip>
> > IE 8 ver. 8.0.6001.1882
> >
> > Things I have tried this far: I tried in safe mode, installing during a
> > restart and installing manually. Upon looking at my update history, I
> > have
> > 12 other failed security updates. I unistalled McAffee and installed
> > Windos
> > security essentials...

> .

Re: 80070490 Error: Windows update encountered an unknown error
McAfee (and Norton) applications are notorious for not uninstalling (or
upgrading) cleanly. See if getting rid of the McAfee leftovers resolves the
problem:

1. Download the McAfee Consumer Products Removal Tool, saving it to your
desktop:
http://download.mcafee.com/products/...tches/MCPR.exe

2. Close all open applications (i.e., anything with an icon on the taskbar).

3. Right-click on the file you saved in #1 above and select Run as
Administrator to run the utility. Don't TOUCH your keyboard until the run
completes, then reboot.

Comment #1: You should have run the removal tool before you installed MSE.

Comment #2: I agree with your opinion of that McAfee Security Center
freebie. It's a POS.

tmac% wrote:
> It is a free McAfee supplied by my internet company Cox cable. It is free
> but I thought it was a full version, part of their Cox Security Suite. It
> was installed 10/28/2009 (saved and scanned the file before running it)
> version 2 (3.15.0.0).
> http://ww2.cox.com/residential/sandi...rity-suite.cox
>
> It was slowing my computer down and it actually let in a trojan
> (Win32/Obfuscator.CY) which was detected and removed by Microsoft Security
> Essentials installed 2/26/10. I uninstalled through the program and files
> area in Vista control panel.
>
> I then booted in safe mode with internet and did some more cleaning after
> updating. The Microsoft Security Essentials I first tried to update and
> it
> would not. The screen was red as well. I tried to activate it but it
> would
> not in safe mode. Then I had a 3 day battle with spybot detecting
> smitfraudfix and smitfraudfix detecting spybot.
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
>>> ...I unistalled McAffee and installed Windos
>>> security essentials...

>> What's the name of the McAfee application that was installed and was your
>> subscription still current when you uninstalled it & then installed MSE?
>>
>> Did you download/run the McAfee removal tool prior to installing MSE?
>>
>> Has a(another) Norton or McAfee application /ever/ been installed on the
>> bought
>> it)?
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>>

>> tmac% wrote:
>>> 3 security updates will not complete (now 4). Error Code 80070490
>>> 02-Mar-10
>>> I am unable to do these three security updates: KB970238(release date
>>> 6/9/09), KB97451(release date 10/13/09), KB954155(release date
>>> 10/13/09),
>>> &
>>> KB975517(release date 10/13/09).
>>>
>>> The last succesful update was KB9937286 on 2/27/2010
>>>
>>> I have a Compaq Presario PC: SR5214X.
>>> OS Name Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Basic
>>> Version 6.0.6002 Service Pack 2 Build 6002

>> <snip>
>>> IE 8 ver. 8.0.6001.1882
>>>
>>> Things I have tried this far: I tried in safe mode, installing during a
>>> restart and installing manually. Upon looking at my update history, I
>>> have
>>> 12 other failed security updates. I unistalled McAffee and installed
>>> Windos
>>> security essentials...

>> .

tmac%

Re: 80070490 Error: Windows update encountered an unknown error
I was able to download the 4 missing updates plus 3 others. There are only
20 I could not install . I'm wondering if there is a way to clean the list
so that my update history is easier to look through. I sorted the updates by
title but I'm thinking the other 20 may be already installed. Each time I
try to install them, it says that it does not apply to my system.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> McAfee (and Norton) applications are notorious for not uninstalling (or
> upgrading) cleanly. See if getting rid of the McAfee leftovers resolves the
> problem:
>
> 1. Download the McAfee Consumer Products Removal Tool, saving it to your
> desktop:
> http://download.mcafee.com/products/...tches/MCPR.exe
>
> 2. Close all open applications (i.e., anything with an icon on the taskbar).
>
> 3. Right-click on the file you saved in #1 above and select Run as
> Administrator to run the utility. Don't TOUCH your keyboard until the run
> completes, then reboot.
>
> Comment #1: You should have run the removal tool before you installed MSE.
>
> Comment #2: I agree with your opinion of that McAfee Security Center
> freebie. It's a POS.
>

> tmac% wrote:
> > It is a free McAfee supplied by my internet company Cox cable. It is free
> > but I thought it was a full version, part of their Cox Security Suite. It
> > was installed 10/28/2009 (saved and scanned the file before running it)
> > version 2 (3.15.0.0).
> > http://ww2.cox.com/residential/sandi...rity-suite.cox
> >
> > It was slowing my computer down and it actually let in a trojan
> > (Win32/Obfuscator.CY) which was detected and removed by Microsoft Security
> > Essentials installed 2/26/10. I uninstalled through the program and files
> > area in Vista control panel.
> >
> > I then booted in safe mode with internet and did some more cleaning after
> > updating. The Microsoft Security Essentials I first tried to update and
> > it
> > would not. The screen was red as well. I tried to activate it but it
> > would
> > not in safe mode. Then I had a 3 day battle with spybot detecting
> > smitfraudfix and smitfraudfix detecting spybot.

> >> What's the name of the McAfee application that was installed and was your
> >> subscription still current when you uninstalled it & then installed MSE?
> >>
> >> Did you download/run the McAfee removal tool prior to installing MSE?
> >>
> >> Has a(another) Norton or McAfee application /ever/ been installed on the
> >> computer (e.g., a free-trial version that came preinstalled when you
> >> bought
> >> it)?
> >> --
> >> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

> >> <snip>

> >> .

> .

Re: 80070490 Error: Windows update encountered an unknown error
> There are only 20 I could not install...

20? You only mentioned 4 in your first post. Are they all security
updates? What's the release date of the oldest security update and what's
its KB number?

Has KB978207 installed?

tmac% wrote:
> I was able to download the 4 missing updates plus 3 others. There are
> only
> 20 I could not install . I'm wondering if there is a way to clean the
> list
> so that my update history is easier to look through. I sorted the updates
> by title but I'm thinking the other 20 may be already installed. Each
> time
> I try to install them, it says that it does not apply to my system.
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
>> McAfee (and Norton) applications are notorious for not uninstalling (or
>> upgrading) cleanly. See if getting rid of the McAfee leftovers resolves
>> the problem:
>>
>> 1. Download the McAfee Consumer Products Removal Tool, saving it to your
>> desktop:
>> http://download.mcafee.com/products/...tches/MCPR.exe
>>
>> 2. Close all open applications (i.e., anything with an icon on the
>> taskbar).
>>
>> 3. Right-click on the file you saved in #1 above and select Run as
>> Administrator to run the utility. Don't TOUCH your keyboard until the run
>> completes, then reboot.
>>
>> Comment #1: You should have run the removal tool before you installed
>> MSE.
>>
>> Comment #2: I agree with your opinion of that McAfee Security Center
>> freebie. It's a POS.
>>

>> tmac% wrote:
>>> It is a free McAfee supplied by my internet company Cox cable. It is
>>> free
>>> but I thought it was a full version, part of their Cox Security Suite.
>>> It
>>> was installed 10/28/2009 (saved and scanned the file before running it)
>>> version 2 (3.15.0.0).
>>> http://ww2.cox.com/residential/sandi...rity-suite.cox
>>>
>>> It was slowing my computer down and it actually let in a trojan
>>> (Win32/Obfuscator.CY) which was detected and removed by Microsoft
>>> Security
>>> Essentials installed 2/26/10. I uninstalled through the program and
>>> files
>>> area in Vista control panel.
>>>
>>> I then booted in safe mode with internet and did some more cleaning
>>> after
>>> updating. The Microsoft Security Essentials I first tried to update and
>>> it
>>> would not. The screen was red as well. I tried to activate it but it
>>> would
>>> not in safe mode. Then I had a 3 day battle with spybot detecting
>>> smitfraudfix and smitfraudfix detecting spybot.

tmac%

Re: 80070490 Error: Windows update encountered an unknown error
After seeing that there were other updates had failed, I went through this
list very carefully by sorting the list and clicking on each failed update.
Most were from the date 10/13/2009. I went one by one, saving an update file
for each missing update to a folder on my desktop. There have been so many
failed attempts, it was quite a long list. It could be that they are
installed. If I could put the update history list in excel, I'd be more
confident that I caught them all. By sorting and manually writing down the
ones that failed, this is the remaining list.

KB973346
KB972260
KB972036
KB960803
KB959426
KB958687
KB958644
KB958624
KB956572
KB953155
KB952069
KB951698
KB951066
KB950762
KB950759
KB943055
KB941693
KB938464
KB933579
KB930621

When I run the files, it says it does not apply to my system. Just because
I was curious, I tried reinstalling a couple of the successful updates and I
get the same message.

I'm installin KB978207 right now. It was not there.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> > There are only 20 I could not install...

> 20? You only mentioned 4 in your first post. Are they all security
> updates? What's the release date of the oldest security update and what's
> its KB number?
>
> Has KB978207 installed?
>

> tmac% wrote:
> > I was able to download the 4 missing updates plus 3 others. There are
> > only
> > 20 I could not install . I'm wondering if there is a way to clean the
> > list
> > so that my update history is easier to look through. I sorted the updates
> > by title but I'm thinking the other 20 may be already installed. Each
> > time
> > I try to install them, it says that it does not apply to my system.

Re: 80070490 Error: Windows update encountered an unknown error
> When I run the files, it says it does not apply to my system.

Don't concern yourself with the list of updates that failed to install per
the Update History section at Windows Update website, at least for now.

Open Internet Explorer (only) to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com | Select
CUSTOM and scan | Install any Critical Security Updates offered (e.g.,
KB978207).

NB: Please do NOT install IE8 if it isn't already installed (just hide it
for now).

But if IE8 or IE7 is installed and a Root Certificates update is listed in
the Optional Software updates category on the left-hand side of the scan
results window, install it to take full advantage of IE's enhanced security.

If there are any critical security updates you cannot install, please give
me their KB numbers.

> I'm installin KB978207 right now. It was not there.

That does NOT bode well.

tmac% wrote:
> After seeing that there were other updates had failed, I went through this
> list very carefully by sorting the list and clicking on each failed
> update.
> Most were from the date 10/13/2009. I went one by one, saving an update
> file for each missing update to a folder on my desktop. There have been
> so
> many failed attempts, it was quite a long list. It could be that they are
> installed. If I could put the update history list in excel, I'd be more
> confident that I caught them all. By sorting and manually writing down
> the
> ones that failed, this is the remaining list.
>
> KB973346
> KB972260
> KB972036
> KB960803
> KB959426
> KB958687
> KB958644
> KB958624
> KB956572
> KB953155
> KB952069
> KB951698
> KB951066
> KB950762
> KB950759
> KB943055
> KB941693
> KB938464
> KB933579
> KB930621
>
> When I run the files, it says it does not apply to my system. Just
> because
> I was curious, I tried reinstalling a couple of the successful updates and
> get the same message.
>
> I'm installin KB978207 right now. It was not there.
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
>>> There are only 20 I could not install...

>> 20? You only mentioned 4 in your first post. Are they all security
>> updates? What's the release date of the oldest security update and
>> what's
>> its KB number?
>>
>> Has KB978207 installed?
>>

>> tmac% wrote:
>>> I was able to download the 4 missing updates plus 3 others. There are
>>> only
>>> 20 I could not install . I'm wondering if there is a way to clean the
>>> list
>>> so that my update history is easier to look through. I sorted the
>>> updates
>>> by title but I'm thinking the other 20 may be already installed. Each
>>> time
>>> I try to install them, it says that it does not apply to my system.

tmac%

Re: 80070490 Error: Windows update encountered an unknown error
I do not get that screen when I go there where I can search for critical or
custom updates. It shows directions to go to my start button |all
programs|windows update. I do not get the update screen like I ususally see
in xp. I thought that was a Vista thing, do they look the same? My
computer says all critical updates hae been made. It seems to be functioning
fine but the updat list is inaccurate if so.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> [...]

> > KB950762
> > KB950759
> > KB943055
> > KB941693
> > KB938464
> > KB933579
> > KB930621
> >
> > When I run the files, it says it does not apply to my system. Just
> > because
> > I was curious, I tried reinstalling a couple of the successful updates and
> > get the same message.
> >
> > I'm installin KB978207 right now. It was not there.

> >> 20? You only mentioned 4 in your first post. Are they all security
> >> updates? What's the release date of the oldest security update and
> >> what's
> >> its KB number?
> >>
> >> Has KB978207 installed?

> .

Re: 80070490 Error: Windows update encountered an unknown error
Sorry, I should not have assumed you were running WinXP; then again, you
never stated your Windows version either.

As long as no updates are listed in 'Available updates' and none are found
when you click on 'Check for updates,' all is well.

tmac% wrote:
> I do not get that screen when I go there where I can search for critical
> or
> custom updates. It shows directions to go to my start button |all
> programs|windows update. I do not get the update screen like I ususally
> see
> in xp. I thought that was a Vista thing, do they look the same? My
> computer says all critical updates hae been made. It seems to be
> functioning fine but the updat list is inaccurate if so.
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
>>> When I run the files, it says it does not apply to my system.

>> Don't concern yourself with the list of updates that failed to install
>> per
>> the Update History section at Windows Update website, at least for now.
>>
>> Open Internet Explorer (only) to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com |
>> Select CUSTOM and scan | Install any Critical Security Updates offered
>> (e.g., KB978207).
>>
>> NB: Please do NOT install IE8 if it isn't already installed (just hide it
>> for now).
>>
>> But if IE8 or IE7 is installed and a Root Certificates update is listed
>> in
>> the Optional Software updates category on the left-hand side of the scan
>> results window, install it to take full advantage of IE's enhanced
>> security.
>>
>> If there are any critical security updates you cannot install, please
>> give
>> me their KB numbers.
>>
>>> I'm installin KB978207 right now. It was not there.

>> That does NOT bode well.
>>

>> tmac% wrote:
>>> After seeing that there were other updates had failed, I went through
>>> this
>>> list very carefully by sorting the list and clicking on each failed
>>> update.
>>> Most were from the date 10/13/2009. I went one by one, saving an update
>>> file for each missing update to a folder on my desktop. There have been
>>> so
>>> many failed attempts, it was quite a long list. It could be that they
>>> are
>>> installed. If I could put the update history list in excel, I'd be more
>>> confident that I caught them all. By sorting and manually writing down
>>> the
>>> ones that failed, this is the remaining list.
>>>
>>> KB973346
>>> KB972260
>>> KB972036
>>> KB960803