SP2 CD to SP3

Dias

SP2 CD to SP3
Hi,

I have Windows XP Pro SP2 and wanted to do a clean install. I did this
before, and it was ok... But I'm wondering. Is there any way I can integrate
SP3 into this SP2 installation from the setup?

I personally don't like to go trough the whole process of updating. It
starts by downloading sp3, then reboots.. then downloads another ton of
updates.. then reboots again and again.. then downloads some more updates...
You know the drill.

The idea of doing an installation with all the updates, or at least most of
them, is rather more pleasing to me.

Can anyone help?

Best regards,
Nuno Dias

Re: SP2 CD to SP3
Got Google? => http://lmgtfy.com/?q=slipstream+wind...service+pack+3

Dias wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have Windows XP Pro SP2 and wanted to do a clean install. I did this
> before, and it was ok... But I'm wondering. Is there any way I can
> integrate
> SP3 into this SP2 installation from the setup?
>
> I personally don't like to go trough the whole process of updating. It
> starts by downloading sp3, then reboots.. then downloads another ton of
> updates.. then reboots again and again.. then downloads some more
> updates...
> You know the drill.
>
> The idea of doing an installation with all the updates, or at least most
> of
> them, is rather more pleasing to me.
>
> Can anyone help?
>

> Best regards,
> Nuno Dias

Shenan Stanley

Re: SP2 CD to SP3
Dias wrote:
> I have Windows XP Pro SP2 and wanted to do a clean install. I did
> this before, and it was ok... But I'm wondering. Is there any way I
> can integrate SP3 into this SP2 installation from the setup?
>
> I personally don't like to go trough the whole process of updating.
> It starts by downloading sp3, then reboots.. then downloads another
> ton of updates.. then reboots again and again.. then downloads some
> more updates... You know the drill.
>
> The idea of doing an installation with all the updates, or at least
> most of them, is rather more pleasing to me.

Now is a great time to point you to one of the easiest ways to find
information on problems you may be having and solutions others have found:

Search using Google!
http://www.google.com/
(How-to: http://www.google.com/intl/en/help/basics.html )

Your words used in Google...

"Windows XP" integrate SP3
http://www.google.com/search?q=%22Wi...+integrate+SP3

That should get you everything you need, but to go a step further - here is
what I have done/do...

You can see the critical (security and other) patches released for a given
month using the following:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sec.../ms##-***.mspx

At the end of this line you see "ms##-***.mspx" .. If you simply replace ##
with the two-digit year and the *** with the three character month
abbreviation, you will see the list of "critical" and "important" patches
for that month (since it only happens once a month usually, if you check by
the second Tuesday (wait until afternoon) of each month - you should be
fine) - note that future months will not work - although they may have an
"Advance Notification for" in place when the actual time approaches.

Example:

November 2009
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sec.../ms09-nov.mspx

Another way...

Windows Updates Downloader
http://www.windowsupdatesdownloader.com/

Another way...

Security updates are available on ISO-9660 DVD5 image files from the
Microsoft Download Center
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/913086

The second is truly the easiest for most people. Most of the updates you
can get have an /integrate switch. Pretty much the same way you do the
service packs.

Although many people use the nlite/autostreamer and other similar tools - I
stick with the original.

Copy the installation CD files to a directory on a Windows XP system (I
prefer doing the integration on a working system of the same version,
although it is not usually necessary...) - preferably a short path like
"C:\WinXP". Downloading the full latest service pack and the patches I want
to integrate using one of the methods above and putting them all into a
different (but short as well) path like "C:\XPPatch" - no sub-directories.

Integrating the service pack first - in this case, given what I have, the
command would be:

"C:\XPPatch\WindowsXP-KB936929-SP3-x86-ENU.exe" /integrate:C:\WinXP

and after some time, it would be done.

Then I would integrate the other patches that I could. There would be
*quite a few* updates, so I could either do them one-by-one using this
command with the appropriate substitutions...

"C:\XPPatch\WindowsXP-KB??????-x86-enu.exe" /integrate:C:\WinXP

Or I could create a batch script to run through and do them for me:

<start batch script here - copy below this line>

set sourcedir=C:\WinXP
set patchdir=C:\XPPatch

for %%U in (%patchdir%\WindowsXP-KB??????-x86-enu.exe) DO (
if not exist %svcpackdir%\%%U (
@ECHO Now integrating %%U . . .
@ECHO.
start /wait %%U /integrate:%sourcedir%
)
)

@ECHO Windows XP Updates Integrated into your Installation Media.
@ECHO Burn your new media.
<end batch script here - copy above this line>

And running that would integrate the majority of the available patches and
automatically integrate them - only pausing for me to click OK on each of
the patches "Success" or "Failure" messages. You could make it silent with
a little modification.

The reason it cannot get them all is that some patches do not integrate and
some do not use the same naming scheme (although you could rename them so
they do...)

I then use BBIE (Bart's Boot Image Extractor) to take the 'boot image' off
the original Windows XP CD and save it to a file so I can burn a bootable
Windows XP CD with the integrations I have made. Depending on what CD
burning software or ISO creation software you use - the instructions can
differ a bit here... This part is important when burning to CD: Set Load
segment of sectors (hex) to 0000 and set Number of loaded sectors to 4. Or
at least that is something I always remember.

That's just the way I have done it - even though I have used the other
methods, I find that one the most reliable.

That help?

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Ǝиçεl

RE: SP2 CD to SP3
Hello Nuno,

Windows XP SP3 CD
<https://om2.one.microsoft.com/opa/Validation.aspx?StoreID=d7a098f4-4034-4ccb-a785-9e890e6b4f5b&LocaleCode=en-us&JavaScriptOn=yes>

After 12 April 2010, XP SP3 your computer will NOT be offered ANY critical
security updates nor will Windows Update website be available until & unless
you get XP SP3 installed.
-=-

"Dias" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have Windows XP Pro SP2 and wanted to do a clean install. I did this
> before, and it was ok... But I'm wondering. Is there any way I can integrate
> SP3 into this SP2 installation from the setup?
>
> I personally don't like to go trough the whole process of updating. It
> starts by downloading sp3, then reboots.. then downloads another ton of
> updates.. then reboots again and again.. then downloads some more updates...
> You know the drill.
>
> The idea of doing an installation with all the updates, or at least most of
> them, is rather more pleasing to me.
>
> Can anyone help?
>

> Best regards,
> Nuno Dias

Dias

Re: SP2 CD to SP3
This was really helpful! Specially the last option. I like to stick with
original software.

Thank you

"Shenan Stanley" wrote:

> [...]

> a little modification.
>
> The reason it cannot get them all is that some patches do not integrate and
> some do not use the same naming scheme (although you could rename them so
> they do...)
>
> I then use BBIE (Bart's Boot Image Extractor) to take the 'boot image' off
> the original Windows XP CD and save it to a file so I can burn a bootable
> Windows XP CD with the integrations I have made. Depending on what CD
> burning software or ISO creation software you use - the instructions can
> differ a bit here... This part is important when burning to CD: Set Load
> segment of sectors (hex) to 0000 and set Number of loaded sectors to 4. Or
> at least that is something I always remember.
>
> That's just the way I have done it - even though I have used the other
> methods, I find that one the most reliable.

EN59CVH

Re: SP2 CD to SP3

???l wrote:

> After 12 April 2010, XP SP3 your computer will NOT be offered ANY critical
> security updates nor will Windows Update website be available until & unless
> you get XP SP3 installed.

Fantastic news indeed. I can't stand any more of Microsoft's useless
patches!!!!! Hooray. Pigs are pigs and humans are humans. with these
patches, M$ can sabotage your system now that it wants everybody to
start buying Windows 7.

Re: SP2 CD to SP3
[Bite me]

Tom Willett wrote:

>He is, after all, a pig licker.

Actually a pig smasher. Get your facts right boy.