Windows Update not working on IE7, XP Home Edition SP2

FamilyGuy2010

Windows Update not working on IE7, XP Home Edition SP2
I don't think I've been getting updates for quite a while.

I recently uninstalled McAfee and installed Norton Security Suite (free to
Comcast customers).

The Windows Update site would not load at all but I read somewhere about
re-registering some services that McAfee apparently nuked, and it sort of
started to work, But it's extremely sloooooooow.

Also, I have that Background Intelligent Transfer Service flapping in my
event log. It will not stay running. Is it needed for Windows Update?

This is so frustrating.
MowGreen

Re: Windows Update not working on IE7, XP Home Edition SP2
So Comcast threw you from the pot into the fire, eh ? You will not be
the last one to experience Windows Updates failing because of the free
Windows destroying AVs they offer to their 'customers'.

First off, download and *save* this tool: AppRemover
http://www.technibble.com/appremover...l-of-the-week/

Next, uninstall Norton from Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel
and then restart the system.
Now run AppRemover and have it remove all remnants left over from the
installations of McAfee and Norton.
If the tool asks you to restart the system, do so.

Open a Command Prompt from Start > Run > type in
cmd
Click OK or press Enter
At the prompt type in the below commands, pressing Enter after each one

netsh firewall reset
netsh winsock reset
exit

Restart the system now.
If you still want to abuse XP, reinstall Norton.

If you would like to install an antivirus program that is compatible
with XP, suggest you obtain the free version of either Avast or AntiVir.

http://www.free-av.com/en/download/1...antivirus.html

If the system is on a home network and the router has a hardware
firewall, then use the native XP firewall and the system will be well
protected.

If not, you can install Online Armor Free:
http://www.tallemu.com/products-online-armor-free.php

MowGreen
================
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
================

banthecheck.com

FamilyGuy2010 wrote:
> I don't think I've been getting updates for quite a while.
>
> I recently uninstalled McAfee and installed Norton Security Suite (free to
> Comcast customers).
>
> The Windows Update site would not load at all but I read somewhere about
> re-registering some services that McAfee apparently nuked, and it sort of
> started to work, But it's extremely sloooooooow.
>
> Also, I have that Background Intelligent Transfer Service flapping in my
> event log. It will not stay running. Is it needed for Windows Update?
>
> This is so frustrating.

Re: Windows Update not working on IE7, XP Home Edition SP2
> I don't think I've been getting updates for quite a while.

How long is "a while?" Were you also having this problem when you had the
McAfee Security Center freebie install?

What about your duplicate posts in Windows Update forum?...

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/...-23ca2de5b55a/

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/...-646599b566c3/

FamilyGuy2010 wrote:
> I don't think I've been getting updates for quite a while.
>
> I recently uninstalled McAfee and installed Norton Security Suite (free to
> Comcast customers).
>
> The Windows Update site would not load at all but I read somewhere about
> re-registering some services that McAfee apparently nuked, and it sort of
> started to work, But it's extremely sloooooooow.
>
> Also, I have that Background Intelligent Transfer Service flapping in my
> event log. It will not stay running. Is it needed for Windows Update?
>
> This is so frustrating.

DanD

Re: Windows Update not working on IE7, XP Home Edition SP2
Not sure which is the most appropriate forum place to continue. I'll
choose here. Pasting in what I posted in the other dupe posting area:

Apologies for the duplicate forum postings. My Windows/IE is acting
strangely, slowly, and I think I double triggered the original post.
In fact, I didn't think either went through at all, which is why I
ended up over at the Microsoft.Public.WindowsUpdate forum area. Or
maybe that's the same as this one since the email link from that one
brings me to something with a different user interface than I remember
when I entered it. So many Windows web forum sites. It gets
confusing.

Anyhow, I will read the links you posted, and probably best to
coalesce further dialog on one thread - perhaps the other one where
MowGreen and PA Bear have already replied.

Also, I was able to figure out how to open an actual Microsoft Support
Request. I thought that was going to cost $, but I found an interface
that worked and allowed me to open a free email support request. As
a home user, it got a severity C (minimum business impact), but an MS
engineer did respond to it overnight, so that's encouraging. Perhaps
it will get escalated even further if I add that it does impact my
wife's at-home businesses.

Thanks for the directions so far. This should be very educational.

For the record,
- Last successful Windows Update listed under Add/Remove Programs was
Security update KB958644 back on 4/1/2009. So we're way out of date
and at risk here!
- Windows XP Home Edition Version 2002 Service Pack 2 (assumedly
that's 32bit - I didn't buy the 64bit processor)
HP Pavilion AMD Athlon XP 3200+ 2.20 Ghz, 1.93 GB RAM

PA Bear [MS-MVP]

Re: Windows Update not working on IE7, XP Home Edition SP2
To avoid duplication of effort, please post all further follow-up in
replies to this Windows Update forum thread:

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/...9-646599b566c3

Thank you.