80070490 Error: Windows update encountered an unknown error

JSONG-X301

80070490 Error: Windows update encountered an unknown error
I am running Vista Ultimate SP2 running 32bit version. I have nothing loaded
except the OS, Office 2007, and system software and itunes.

I seem to be stuck with 3 security patches getting constant error saying it
can not update.

What is the solution? I been reading through a ot of posts, my Vista does
not have an upgrade option. I just installed this version of Ultimate Vsita
and got iut patched all the way to SP2 before this error message started.

It is Mar 1st 2010. I would assume this bug fix has been identified by now.
Ǝиçεl

RE: 80070490 Error: Windows update encountered an unknown error
Copied яesponse from MowGreen

For Beginners and Intermediate Users -

1) You receive a "0x80070490" error code when you use Windows Update or
Microsoft Update Web sites to install updates
<http://support.microsoft.com/kb/958044>

> This issue may occur if there is corruption in the Component Based Servicing (CBS) manifest.

a) Run sfc /scannow from an Elevated Command Prompt
<http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936212>

b) Download, save, and then run the System Update Readiness Tool
(CheckSUR) <http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947821>

c) > To resolve this issue, you must perform a repair installation of
Windows Vista or Windows Server 2008.
> Performing a repair installation will restore the current Windows installation to the version of the
> installation DVD. This also requires the installation of all updates that are not included on the
> installation DVD.

For Advanced Users or The Fearless -

2) How to overcome error 0x80070490 when installing updates in Windows
Vista/Server 2008
<http://blogs.msdn.com/andrekl/archive/2008/09/29/how-to-overcome-error-0x80070490-when-installing-updates-in-windows-vista-server-2008.aspx>

3) Update manually. Security updates are issued the second Tuesday of
the month.
Non-security Windows updates are issued the fourth Tuesday of the month.
A list of all update content by month:

Description of Software Update Services and Windows Server Update
Services changes in content for 2010
<http://support.microsoft.com/kb/894199>

*** Be wary of installing NON-essential software *** that will then have
to be updated when a vulnerability is discovered in them.

Ex: Windows Desktop Search; Silverlight; etc.

MowGreen
-=-

Good luck

"JSONG-X301" wrote:

> I am running Vista Ultimate SP2 running 32bit version. I have nothing loaded
> except the OS, Office 2007, and system software and itunes.
>
> I seem to be stuck with 3 security patches getting constant error saying it
> can not update.
>
> What is the solution? I been reading through a ot of posts, my Vista does
> not have an upgrade option. I just installed this version of Ultimate Vsita
> and got iut patched all the way to SP2 before this error message started.
>
> It is Mar 1st 2010. I would assume this bug fix has been identified by now.

Re: 80070490 Error: Windows update encountered an unknown error
What third-party firewall (if any)?

it)?

JSONG-X301 wrote:
> I am running Vista Ultimate SP2 running 32bit version. I have nothing
> loaded except the OS, Office 2007, and system software and itunes.
>
> I seem to be stuck with 3 security patches getting constant error saying
> it
> can not update.
>
> What is the solution? I been reading through a ot of posts, my Vista does
> not have an upgrade option. I just installed this version of Ultimate
> Vsita
> and got iut patched all the way to SP2 before this error message started.
>
> It is Mar 1st 2010. I would assume this bug fix has been identified by
> now.

Tracey McFarland

3 security updates will not complete. Error Code 80070490
I am unable to do these three security updates: KB970238, KB97451, & KB975517.

My OS is Vista 32 and I have installed the SP2

I tried in safe mode, installing during a restart and installing manually. Upon looking at my update history, I have 12 other failed security updates. I unistalled McAffee and installed Windos security essentials, cleaned my computer with CCleaner, ran Spybot, and defragged my computer. I have a Compaq Presario PC: SR5214X.

The 12 other failed security updates are :
KB950762
KB951066
KB951698
KB952069
KB953155
KB954155
KB958624
KB958644
KB958687
KB959426
KB960803
KB970238
KB974571
KB975517

I listed them in order thinking that maybe I should do the earliest one first, one by one manually. I can't download a single update. Please help if you can.

JSONG-X301 wrote:

80070490 Error: Windows update encountered an unknown error
01-Mar-10

I am running Vista Ultimate SP2 running 32bit version. I have nothing loaded
except the OS, Office 2007, and system software and itunes.

I seem to be stuck with 3 security patches getting constant error saying it
can not update.

What is the solution? I been reading through a ot of posts, my Vista does
not have an upgrade option. I just installed this version of Ultimate Vsita
and got iut patched all the way to SP2 before this error message started.

It is Mar 1st 2010. I would assume this bug fix has been identified by now.

What's New for Developers in SharePoint 2010 Object Model?
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials...evelopers.aspx
Tracey McFarland

Just tried the stuff suggested and it did not work
I ran the Run: sfc. scannow and nothing came up.
I went directly to the link provided
<http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947821>

I saved it to my desktop nd then ran it. It said it did not apply for my system. I forgot to mention that I received this message when I tried to install the updates manually. Yes, I did make sure it said Vista 64. Still doesn't work.

Tracey McFarland wrote:

3 security updates will not complete. Error Code 80070490
02-Mar-10

[...]

EggHeadCafe Chat Chaos in Silverlight Released Today
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials...-chaos-in.aspx

Re: 3 security updates will not complete. Error Code 80070490
Please begin a new thread about your specific problem & computer, and do so
via:
http://www.microsoft.com/communities....windowsupdate

State your IE version and full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista SP1;
Vista 64-bit SP2; Win7; Win7 64-bit) in your first post.

Tracey McFarland wrote:
> I am unable to do these three security updates: KB970238, KB97451, &
> KB975517.
>
> My OS is Vista 32 and I have installed the SP2
>
> I tried in safe mode, installing during a restart and installing manually.
> Upon looking at my update history, I have 12 other failed security
> updates.
> I unistalled McAffee and installed Windos security essentials, cleaned my
> computer with CCleaner, ran Spybot, and defragged my computer. I have a
> Compaq Presario PC: SR5214X.
>
> The 12 other failed security updates are :
> KB950762
> KB951066
> KB951698
> KB952069
> KB953155
> KB954155
> KB958624
> KB958644
> KB958687
> KB959426
> KB960803
> KB970238
> KB974571
> KB975517
>
> I listed them in order thinking that maybe I should do the earliest one
> first, one by one manually. I can't download a single update. Please
> help
> if you can.

<SNIP HIJACKED THREAD>