Re: Browser Choice

[Adding Windows Update newsgroup to the crosspost.]

The Browser Choice update cannot be uninstalled.

Ed O'Brien wrote:
> Windows Vista Home Premium
>
> I used to know but forget... Can someone tell me where Windows stores
> newly
> installed updates?
>
> I want to uninstall the damned browser choice notice now being presented
> every time I boot.
>
> I just wish that unelected, corrupt bunch of crooks in the EU Commission
> would butt out. It was they who forced Microsoft to punish us this way.
> Although it would also have been sensible for Microsoft to add a 'Do Not
> Show Again' button.
>
> TIA

Ed O'Brien

Re: Browser Choice
Thanks. Found that out the hard way.... Does anyone know why Microsoft chose
to lock this useless device into our computers. I know they had to show it,
but why forever?

> [Adding Windows Update newsgroup to the crosspost.]
>
> The Browser Choice update cannot be uninstalled.
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>
> Ed O'Brien wrote:
>> Windows Vista Home Premium
>>
>> I used to know but forget... Can someone tell me where Windows stores
>> newly
>> installed updates?
>>
>> I want to uninstall the damned browser choice notice now being presented
>> every time I boot.
>>
>> I just wish that unelected, corrupt bunch of crooks in the EU Commission
>> would butt out. It was they who forced Microsoft to punish us this way.
>> Although it would also have been sensible for Microsoft to add a 'Do Not
>> Show Again' button.
>>
>> TIA

Re: Browser Choice
Get your facts straight (and maybe read a newspaper every now and then): MS
did NOT choose to do this on its own.

Windows 7 and Browser Choice in Europe (31 July-09)
http://microsoftontheissues.com/cs/b...in-europe.aspx

EU ends Microsoft antitrust probe; Accepts browser choice (16 Dec-09)
http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=28590

The Browser Choice Screen for Europe: What to Expect, When to Expect It (19
Feb-10)
http://microsoftontheissues.com/cs/b...expect-it.aspx
--
~PA Bear

Ed O'Brien wrote:
> Thanks. Found that out the hard way.... Does anyone know why Microsoft
> chose
> to lock this useless device into our computers. I know they had to show
> it,
> but why forever?

>> [Adding Windows Update newsgroup to the crosspost.]
>>
>> The Browser Choice update cannot be uninstalled.
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>>
>> Ed O'Brien wrote:
>>> Windows Vista Home Premium
>>>
>>> I used to know but forget... Can someone tell me where Windows stores
>>> newly
>>> installed updates?
>>>
>>> I want to uninstall the damned browser choice notice now being presented
>>> every time I boot.
>>>
>>> I just wish that unelected, corrupt bunch of crooks in the EU Commission
>>> would butt out. It was they who forced Microsoft to punish us this way.
>>> Although it would also have been sensible for Microsoft to add a 'Do Not
>>> Show Again' button.
>>>
>>> TIA

Ed O'Brien

Re: Browser Choice
Another bad mannered prat...! Look at my original post... I cursed the arse
of the EU Commission, so it's clear I know who's responsible for the
advertisement. But why lock it in and why not a 'Do not show this message
again' choice?

If you don't know, you don't need to make a comment...! If you want to make
a comment, GET YOUR FACTS STRAIGHT! And yes I'm shouting because you're
f*****g dense!

> Get your facts straight (and maybe read a newspaper every now and then):
> MS did NOT choose to do this on its own.
>
> Windows 7 and Browser Choice in Europe (31 July-09)
> http://microsoftontheissues.com/cs/b...in-europe.aspx
>
> EU ends Microsoft antitrust probe; Accepts browser choice (16 Dec-09)
> http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=28590
>
> The Browser Choice Screen for Europe: What to Expect, When to Expect It
> (19 Feb-10)
> http://microsoftontheissues.com/cs/b...expect-it.aspx
> --
> ~PA BearI
>

> Ed O'Brien wrote:
>> Thanks. Found that out the hard way.... Does anyone know why Microsoft
>> chose
>> to lock this useless device into our computers. I know they had to show
>> it,
>> but why forever?

>>> [Adding Windows Update newsgroup to the crosspost.]
>>>
>>> The Browser Choice update cannot be uninstalled.
>>> --
>>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

Re: Browser Choice
<plonk>

Ed O'Brien wrote:
> Another bad mannered prat...! ...

Jean Rosenfeld

Re: Browser Choice
I have automatic updates off and check MS Update manually. I carefully
avoided downloading that one. On MS update it does have a hide check box.

> [Adding Windows Update newsgroup to the crosspost.]
>
> The Browser Choice update cannot be uninstalled.
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>
> Ed O'Brien wrote:
>> Windows Vista Home Premium
>>
>> I used to know but forget... Can someone tell me where Windows stores
>> newly
>> installed updates?
>>
>> I want to uninstall the damned browser choice notice now being presented
>> every time I boot.
>>
>> I just wish that unelected, corrupt bunch of crooks in the EU Commission
>> would butt out. It was they who forced Microsoft to punish us this way.
>> Although it would also have been sensible for Microsoft to add a 'Do Not
>> Show Again' button.
>>
>> TIA

Ed O'Brien

Re: Browser Choice
Thank you, Jean. I also have installing set to manual and I wish I had done
the same as you and ignored it. As it is I have done a System Restore which
got rid of it. Now it is the only one sitting in "Windows Update".

(Sorry aboout the rude elements in the thread... Not my usual style in front
of a lady)!

"Jean Rosenfeld" <jean.rosenfeld@nospam.tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
>I have automatic updates off and check MS Update manually. I carefully
>avoided downloading that one. On MS update it does have a hide check box.

>> [Adding Windows Update newsgroup to the crosspost.]
>>
>> The Browser Choice update cannot be uninstalled.
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>>
>> Ed O'Brien wrote:
>>> Windows Vista Home Premium
>>>
>>> I used to know but forget... Can someone tell me where Windows stores
>>> newly
>>> installed updates?
>>>
>>> I want to uninstall the damned browser choice notice now being presented
>>> every time I boot.
>>>
>>> I just wish that unelected, corrupt bunch of crooks in the EU Commission
>>> would butt out. It was they who forced Microsoft to punish us this way.
>>> Although it would also have been sensible for Microsoft to add a 'Do Not
>>> Show Again' button.
>>>
>>> TIA

MowGreen

Re: Browser Choice
Hide it by clicking the update icon and UNchecking the box next to it.
Click OK, then in the next window that opens put a check in the box next
to " Do not offer me this (these) update(s) again or I'll kill
you " or some similar verbiage to that effect. <w>

MowGreen
================
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
================

banthecheck.com

Ed O'Brien wrote:
> Thank you, Jean. I also have installing set to manual and I wish I had
> done the same as you and ignored it. As it is I have done a System
> Restore which got rid of it. Now it is the only one sitting in "Windows
> Update".
>
> (Sorry aboout the rude elements in the thread... Not my usual style in
> front of a lady)!
>

> "Jean Rosenfeld" <jean.rosenfeld@nospam.tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
>> I have automatic updates off and check MS Update manually. I carefully
>> avoided downloading that one. On MS update it does have a hide check box.

>>> [Adding Windows Update newsgroup to the crosspost.]
>>>
>>> The Browser Choice update cannot be uninstalled.
>>> --
>>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

Gene E. Bloch

Re: Browser Choice
On 2/27/10, MowGreen posted:
> Hide it by clicking the update icon and UNchecking the box next to it. Click
> OK, then in the next window that opens put a check in the box next to " Do
> not offer me this (these) update(s) again or I'll kill
> you " or some similar verbiage to that effect. <w>

I think the correct text is "Do not offer me this update again or I'll
kill you *twice*"

Just my way of saying your post helped make my day...

--
Gene Bloch 650.366.4267 lettersatblochg.com

Smirnoff

Re: Browser Choice
Fortunately, I DID manage to avoid the "Choice" update.

You say that using System Restore got rid of it, great. However, other
posters are reporting that using SR does NOT remove it from their system and
are being advised to use a registry hack to stop it running.

Could it be that it depends on the OS whether SR works or not?