Browser choice

Dr_No

Browser choice
My OS is XP Pro SP3. I have installed the new browser choice update on my
desktop computer, but although it is shown in the list of installed updates,
there has been no desktop shortcut appearance, nor is there anything else to
show its presence. I have Firefox 3.6 already installed as well as IE 8. I
was intgerested to see how it would work. Since then I have successfully
installed it on my laptop. Is there any way I can get it to register
properly?

Smirnoff

Re: Browser choice

"Dr_No" <Dr_No@totalise.co.uk> wrote in message
> My OS is XP Pro SP3. I have installed the new browser choice update on
> my desktop computer, but although it is shown in the list of installed
> updates, there has been no desktop shortcut appearance, nor is there
> anything else to show its presence. I have Firefox 3.6 already installed
> as well as IE 8. I was intgerested to see how it would work. Since then I
> have successfully installed it on my laptop. Is there any way I can get it
> to register properly?

Perhaps you need to restart your desktop.

I think the option only appears on restart/boot up.

Dr_No

Re: Browser choice
I found browserchoice.exe in the windows folder. A put a shortcut on the
desktop, clicked on it, and that brought up the choice page. As I don't need
it or the page, I deleted the shortcut and hey presto it's gone and they
stayed gone after reboot....it's all experience!
"Smirnoff" <someone@nospam.invalid> wrote in message

> "Dr_No" <Dr_No@totalise.co.uk> wrote in message
>> My OS is XP Pro SP3. I have installed the new browser choice update on
>> my desktop computer, but although it is shown in the list of installed
>> updates, there has been no desktop shortcut appearance, nor is there
>> anything else to show its presence. I have Firefox 3.6 already installed
>> as well as IE 8. I was intgerested to see how it would work. Since then
>> I have successfully installed it on my laptop. Is there any way I can get
>> it to register properly?
>>

> Perhaps you need to restart your desktop.
>
> I think the option only appears on restart/boot up.

Smirnoff

Re: Browser choice
Interesting.....

Some people who had the update installed automatically and regretted it,
found they could not uninstall it and even using system restore to a
previous checkpoint didn't remove it. In fact some posters are advising a
registry hack to stop it running.

I can only think that in your case the update failed to install correctly in
the first place.

I opted not to install it so cannot really comment further.

> I found browserchoice.exe in the windows folder. A put a shortcut on the
> desktop, clicked on it, and that brought up the choice page. As I don't
> need it or the page, I deleted the shortcut and hey presto it's gone and
> they stayed gone after reboot....it's all experience!
> "Smirnoff" <someone@nospam.invalid> wrote in message
>>
>> "Dr_No" <Dr_No@totalise.co.uk> wrote in message
>>> My OS is XP Pro SP3. I have installed the new browser choice update on
>>> my desktop computer, but although it is shown in the list of installed
>>> updates, there has been no desktop shortcut appearance, nor is there
>>> anything else to show its presence. I have Firefox 3.6 already installed
>>> as well as IE 8. I was intgerested to see how it would work. Since then
>>> I have successfully installed it on my laptop. Is there any way I can
>>> get it to register properly?
>>>

>> Perhaps you need to restart your desktop.
>>
>> I think the option only appears on restart/boot up.

Ottmar Freudenberger

Re: Browser choice
"Dr_No" <Dr_No@totalise.co.uk> schrieb:

> My OS is XP Pro SP3. I have installed the new browser choice update on my
> desktop computer, but although it is shown in the list of installed updates,
> there has been no desktop shortcut appearance, nor is there anything else to
> show its presence. I have Firefox 3.6 already installed as well as IE 8.

As long as Fx (Firefox) or any other browser than IE is set as your
standard browser, that's expected what to happen (AFAIK).

Bye,
Freudi
Dr_No

Re: Browser choice
Thank you Ottmar and Smirnoff - interest and help much appreciated.